Tennis Forum banner

can you separate a player from his personality?

• yes i can easily separate a player from his personality and watch and enjoy tennis regardless of who

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • i can separate the two but i enjoy tennis more when i'm watching someone i also happen to like

Votes: 20 71.4%
  • i cannot separate the two and i only watch players that i like, and will not watch certain players a

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am asking in the context of yet another Hewitt confrontation. but my focus is not on Hewitt. i'm asking about all players. can you separate a player's talent from his personality or character, or are they so intertwined for you that that is not possible?

i generally do this quite easily. i think that Hewitt is a terrific player and i watch every match he plays. i don't have to like him to be able to appreciate watching him play. in fact i look forward to watching his matches bec i feel that i learn a lot about how you can win if you don't have massive weapons. (i happen to not have any -- no wait, my forehand rocks actually! :) ) this doesn't mean that i root for him -- i love watching him get peeled! but that's mainly because his matches are always so competitive and you know that his opponents are going to have to win bec he's not going to hand them the match.

and as much as i like Agassi, i am quite capable of being critical of him when he behaves like a jerk. which he has been known to on occasion -- like when he almost hit the lineswoman with the ball at Wimbledon. but his occasionally uncouth behavior (including blowing snot all over the court grrrrrrr...) doesn't interfere with my ability to enjoy watching him play. i could watch him all day, snot and all.

can you do this as well or does a player's on and off-court behavior influence your ability to enjoy their matches? do you need to like a player in order to enjoy his tennis? and if you dislike a player for whatever reason, does that make him or her unbearable to watch?

[i must admit that my one exception is the Android whom i didn't like and whose tennis i also didn't enjoy mainly bec it largely consisted of big serves and after a while, that just became mind-numbing to me. ]

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
I need to like the player himself in order to enjoy his tennis.

For me, the personality--character has a lot to do with it. The only player I probably started liking just for the game before all else is Clijsters, because she is my favorite player, yet I am not even that crazy about her personality to this day. In fact, I find her rather boring and I always have. I have no idea why she's my favorite. Everyone else I like--Guga, Rios, Rena and Roddick, I like them for their added flare. I think there are few people who I like for their game only. I think Kim and Pete are the only ones. I'm shallow like that.

·
Registered
5,330 Posts
It's an interesting question TC. But I think my answer would be no, because I cannot even identify either the talent or the personality of a player.

All I can say is that in most cases I can separate a player's game and his/her on-court (post match - usually press conferences) behaviour as my interest usually stops there. There are players in whom I enjoy both (e.g., Safin, Guga), only like the game (Haas, Rios), don't like both the game and behaviour (Hewitt, Roddick) for very different reasons.

There are also exceptions like Agassi whose game I could like but there's something about his personality that turns me off to a degree that I cannot even watch him play.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
I enjoy watching tennis more if people that I like are playing...but I will watch it and enjoy it either way. The list of people that I like is so ridiculously long, that it's hard for me to really answer the question ;)

I'm to use my favourite as an example, I've been critical of Ferrero before, and would be again. I feel that usually I'm able to be realistic in my opinions about him, etc. I only get irked when people make comments just scream "I saw ESP next to his name and decided to say this, and no, I have never checked his results before".

An example of a player that I never cared about offcourt would be Rios. But I love watching Rios play anways...what he says offcourt doesn't interfere with him being one of the most exciting players for me to watch (erm..when he's trying, of course).

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MrsTheBoiledEgg said:
It's an interesting question TC. But I think my answer would be no, because I cannot even identify either the talent or the personality of a player. ..
i'll be the first to concede that none of us knows these players intimately. and it's not as if we'll ever get a chance to administer the Myers-Briggs or some other personality test to determine empirically what they are really like. but we do all form impressions. and rightly or wrongly, these impressions influence our choices. at least that's what i think. the question is to what degree does your own (however hopelessly incorrect) impression of a player interfere with or enhance your ability to watch him play.

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Oh no! I clicked the wrong one! :eek: Can I take it back and do it over? I most enjoy tennis when someone I like is playing. I wish I was more like TC and got something out of all players. But I don't.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
actually i voted #2: i CAN separate the two but i enjoy tennis more when someone i like is playing. but the truth is that i love tennis too much to not watch so even the Android can get me to be transfixed if there is nothing else on. :p

·
Registered
747 Posts
I can usually separate myself from the personality of players and enjoy the tennis unless the players were really obnoxious (IMO) on court, like Johnny Mac or Hewitt sometimes (not always though).

Therefore, I enjoy watching Sampras and Guga who have totally different personality and style of play on court. I never think any style of play is boring. I enjoy Sampras bombing his opponents out with 2nd serve ace and I also enjoy Guga keeps his opponents running at back court and then ends the point with a drop shot.

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
i can separate the two but i enjoy tennis more when i'm watching someone i also happen to like

For me, I most enjoy watching matches when my favorites are playing. I can enjoy other matches but not if it's somebody that I don't like... I wouldn't ever watch like Serena or Andre or whoever unless they're playing against my faves or they're in the finals because I like to watch the finals of tournaments if I can! However, I can watch and enjoy a quality match between players that are neutral to me... I can watch Guga, Federer, Xavier etc... and enjoy watching them play even if they aren't my faves.

Also, the fact that I like a certain person doesn't leave me blind. While I won't hate my fave (Lleyton) for an incident, I'm perfectly fine in admitting that he's not perfect and has done some bad things (USO 01)!

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for participating Angele :kiss:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
tennischick said:
thanks for participating Angele :kiss:
No problem :kiss: So how are you? I haven't talked to you in ages :( It seems that now that there's less fighting, our paths don't cross very often :eek:

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
btw: I'm not trying to start a fight ;) :angel:

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
lol! i'm good! life is great. i get lotsa coverage of my favorite Slam (RG) so the next two weeks will be bliss for me. hope you are well also!

appropos of nothing...i'm thinking of working on a piece on whether Lleyton's health problems may be psychosomatic in part. i would love to hear the Potatoholics views on this but it would probably cause a fight which i increasingly just don't have the heart for. but surely i'm not the first to wonder what is really up with him health-wise? it's like he's super-healthy one minute and a wreck the next.

writing this is not as much fun as the romance piece to be honest. :(

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Just write another romantic piece then :p Did you ever get done with that romantic piece btw? I'd really love to read it :bounce:

I'm one of those good Potatoholics remember? ;) I won't fight with you lol... No but seriously I think Lleyton's health problems are somewhat psychosomatic... I'm the same way... I've gotten sick before when I was forced into doing something I didn't wanna do :eek: And I mean like throwing up sick :eek: I'm sure it's not the same reasons for Lleyton though... I suspect he's under a lot of pressure and that's making him stressed out which tires him out and makes him sick. But I'm no doctor so I really don't know lol

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
I'm looking forward to RG as well btw... More so on the women's side though :eek: :eek: Lleyton has never been stellar (sp?) on clay and his draw is horrible... I'm hoping Kim has a good tournament though :bounce:

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I chose option #2. Like most of the people who responded in the thread, tennis is much more enjoyable when I watch my favorite players. I like a uniqueness in their game but I also like their personalities. The whole package appeals to me. Its sort of like having a "type", romantically. But I digress.

Interestingly enough, most of the players I don't like, I don't like their personalities more than I don't like their games.

I will watch tennis regardless of who it is if I don't completely abhor one of the players (think: most of the Americans, men or women). Coverage in the States is so lackluster anyway that you have to be patient and hope for your rewards.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I chose option 2. :bounce:

When my favorite player is not playing, I actually enjoy watching the players I don't like preferably when they are losing! :devil:

·
Registered
13,635 Posts
3 but then I mostly watch them anyway (like the jerk when he was still playing) and hope they will lose

when I don't care about the two players at all though then I don't watch;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts