Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And did it have any bearing on how you played yourself, or players you followed in the future?

I think it’s one thing watching tennis on television but watching tennis live is totally another. Especially at today’s break neck pace.
Very first player I had the privilege to watch was Evonne Goolagong-Cawley at the 1980 Wimbledon championships. I state privilege because when we look back at the many outstanding tennis players we have been fortunate enough to watch playing in the flesh, well sometimes as fans I don’t think we appreciate just how lucky we have been. My uncle took me along as he was such a massive tennis and Goolagong-Cawley fan.
Personally I only wanted to see Chris Evert on whom I had such a crush on at that time. :hearts: But when I returned home I can without doubt, recollect cheering for Evonne for the rest of the tournament, dare I say it, even in the final (I have never forgiven myself ) :eek:

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
The very first player I can remember watching was Lindsay Davenport at the 92' US Open. She was a fat fuck and it was one of the funniest matches I've ever seen. Vicario just moved her around. Lindsay looked like she needed a burger or oxygen or maybe both. I swear I heard clown music when she was running around.
Years later I fell in love with Lindsay. She understood that she wasn't going to be this skinny bitch running all over the place hitting amazing shots. She would use her weight and height to her advantage and crush players in front of her.

I never had the power or the height to become a player similar to Lindsay. I did learn how to lob and to defensive slice from watching her play.
My other favorite player is Patty Schynder and I did make my game as crafty as hers.

·
Banned
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wannabeknowitall said:
The very first player I can remember watching was Lindsay Davenport at the 92' US Open. She was a fat fuck and it was one of the funniest matches I've ever seen. Vicario just moved her around. Lindsay looked like she needed a burger or oxygen or maybe both. I swear I heard clown music when she was running around.
Years later I fell in love with Lindsay. She understood that she wasn't going to be this skinny bitch running all over the place hitting amazing shots. She would use her weight and height to her advantage and crush players in front of her.

I never had the power or the height to become a player similar to Lindsay. I did learn how to lob and to defensive slice from watching her play.
My other favorite player is Patty Schynder and I did make my game as crafty as hers.
I heard BJK had a huge influence on Lindsay and the development of her career and as a person. Well that's what I was told?

Funny though, I watched Lindsay playing at the Australian open when she was not in the best shape of her career, but I said to myself if that woman ever gets herself in shape, she'll do damage!" :)

As for Patty, she really irritates me, being so talented and so flippant with it. I suppose she'll never change now.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
sutter_cane said:
And did it have any bearing on how you played yourself, or players you followed in the future?

I think it’s one thing watching tennis on television but watching tennis live is totally another. Especially at today’s break neck pace.
Very first player I had the privilege to watch was Evonne Goolagong-Cawley at the 1980 Wimbledon championships. I state privilege because when we look back at the many outstanding tennis players we have been fortunate enough to watch playing in the flesh, well sometimes as fans I don’t think we appreciate just how lucky we have been. My uncle took me along as he was such a massive tennis and Goolagong-Cawley fan.
Personally I only wanted to see Chris Evert on whom I had such a crush on at that time. :hearts: But when I returned home I can without doubt, recollect cheering for Evonne for the rest of the tournament, dare I say it, even in the final (I have never forgiven myself ) :eek:

Well, I remember a match of Goran Ivanisevic when I was very young. i can`t remember wich year and against whom he played, I only have this image of ivanisevic in my head. Later on I saw some matches of Guga Kuerten when he had his great time.

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
I'm young so I remember some of Wimbledon 2000... i think... didn't davenport play morariu in the 1R, b/c it was a big deal b/c they were doubles partners or friends etc. I remember the match @ the FO when Pierce hit the between the legs shot. & I remember a really, really old doubles match with Venus & Serena @ the FO, they had the beads:)

·
Registered
349 Posts
my first tennis match i watched live was a mens match...

it was agassi vs. haas at the rogers at and t cup.

:confused:

·
Banned
6,101 Posts
My first live match was:

2001 Canadian Open - Second Round - Sandrine Testud def. Mariana Diaz-Oliva

My first live match i was sitting down for was:

2001 Canadian Open - Second Round - Serena Williams def. Iva Majoli

:)

·
Registered
9,216 Posts
It was a World TeamTennis match at the Spectrum in Philadelphia. Billie Jean King and Virginia Wade were playing Betty Stove and Francoise Durr, and I believe the year was 1976 (now I'm really dating myself). The next match after that featured Wojczek Fibak against Vitas Gerulaitis, and Jimmy Connors played someone a set too, but I can't remember if it was Brian Gottfried or someone else. Terrific atmosphere- lots of loud, boistrious cheering, and a colorful court, to say the least. There were no lines- just blocks of color separating each other.

·
Banned
25,017 Posts
Serena vs. Steffi- Indian Wells final '99

Great match with Serena coming out on top! :bounce:

·
Serena's #1 Hater
19,697 Posts
The first professional tennis match I ever attended was the 1984 Virginia Slims of Oakland final (which is now the Bank of the West Classic at Stanford). Hana Mandlikova beat Martina Navratilova in three sets to win the title and break Martina's 44-match winning streak. ;)

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Many years ago there was a tune up tournamant in East Orange NJ called the East Coast Grass Court Championships. As I lived in EO at that time it was easy for me to attend. The first top player I remember seeing was Billie Jean King against a pretty German player named Edda Budding. Edda was basically a clay court player whose best shot was a beautiful one handed backhand. Her specialty was the backhand drop shot which was very effective and lovely to see. Her game though was not much of a match for BJK on grass, but the contrast in styles was interesting to watch. I also got to see Margrea Osborne du Pont play doubles there. She was in her mid forties, but played well. I remember her second serve had incredible spin, she hit it in such a way that you could not hear the ball hit the racquet. It wass a fun tournament to attend as you were close to the court and many top players, men and women, as a tune up for the US championships

·
Registered
16,443 Posts
Awww...memories :)

That must have been Capriati vs. Zrubakova in Berlin in 1992.
Capriati won 6:3,7:5.

·
Registered
410 Posts
First match i attended was the final of the season ending championships in Madison Square Garden in 1997--Novotna vs. Pierce. Unfortunately, after a decent first set, Novotna just destroyed Mary in the next 2 (it was still best of 5 sets back then), so it was sort of boring. I remember being amazed at how relatively empty the arena was fo a final. The following year though i was treated to a great match (other than the result), as i saw Monica and Steffi live at MSG.

·
Registered
32,313 Posts
live:

men: norman vs. tarango (umag finals)
women: graf vs. tauziat and then davenport vs. seles (philadelphia semis)
on tv

first men's match: goran vs. becker at wimbledon
first women's match: pierce vs. ??? at rg in 1997. all i remember is that pierce won 24 straight points

·
Registered
11,268 Posts
The first match I attended was Magdalena Maleeva v Catarina Lindqvist in the 1st round of Wimbledon 1990. The first player I remember seeing on tv was Sue Barker.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
The first tennis matches I attended live were the womens semi finals at Wimbledon 1993: Steffi Graf vs. Conchita Martinez, Martina Navratilova vs. Jana Novotna.

·
Registered
2,303 Posts
Bjorn Borg in an exhibition match, but I don't remember who else was playing.

The first women I saw live included Chris, Martina, Hana Mandlikova, Helena Sukova, Pam Shriver, and Zina Garrison.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts