Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, for my Media coursework we have to decide on a famous person and write our views on them and what the press views are.

Im doing Mariah Carey.

i was just wondering what the press in your country say about her.

it would be great if you could reply!

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,817 Posts
Alot of publications in North America have websites! Will try to provide a few links!

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Press in the Netherlands just tell the rumours we all know about. Not much more I'm afraid.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks Barrie! that would be great!!

thanks adnil! - i really hate in when press say bad stuff and never report the good stuff!

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
yeah Kisha, check out billboard magazine's website. They have a search facility that links to a lot of foreign language press (and press releases). Obviously they have english language articles too.

MTV. Even with all her recent troubles check the financial press too (since Miss C. seems to have had a negative effect on EMI's share price)

Music Week and Rolling Stone too.

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks alot for that sweetie! will do, do you have a link for the site?

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Kisha - I just realise that it's pretty true that they only report the negative things, not the positive (not that there is much positive to report ;))

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
adnil - yeah, i mean, she could do something great tomorrow like donate 1 million to some cause and it would get little press.

brickhousesupporter - thanks so much. that really helped alot!:)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
3,676 Posts
ooooh .. she is a great choice! .. i wrote several analytical essays on her song lyrics :D .. i found her very easy to write upon.. ( it was quite easy for me actually ..sense i am a huge fan ;)

..what exactly are you going to focus on in your piece btw :confused: .. like her rise to fame, her carrer choices/decisions, or just how she is perceived?

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im gonna focus on what i think of the following (this was what they said on the task sheet):

- them as a person
- what they do
- how they behave in public
- how gracious they are
- why you repect that person.

then i have to say what the press think of her.

·
3,676 Posts
well here in the usa she is basically loved or hated.. many of her record reviews she gets pissed on and they always find something to criticise her on whether it be her clothing, how she sings the notes, or even the lyrics, (many of them are bad) although she has tons of fans :) she is often looked down upon by the press.. (ie her concert she got terrible reveiews by writers but all the fan reviews she recieved were all positive and everyone enjoyed it) .. she has several sites with press clippings i will find some of the better ones for u if its helpful..

·
4,493 Posts
Yep it's all negative here in the Netherlands:sad:

Especially on the popular music-channel tmf (the music factory)
It's clear that they don't like her and i think that's a shame.

Mariah ruless:D

·
Vamorza!
57,175 Posts
Melissa, no wonder they don't like her! The only time she visited the studio she was as bitchy as possible! (remember the fire alarm? that was hilarious!;))
But one show here tries to bring some positive news about her, but they just can't find any!

·
Devoted Capriati-Ite
185,817 Posts
Read Me Kisha Baby!

From "People" magazine. Published weekly bt Time-Life. Issue Date: 31 December 01 Annual 25 Most Intriguing People Issue! Mariah Carey, pg 64:

"The message Mariah Carey posted on her Web site was poignantly un-diva like: 'I'm in a very bad place', she announced on July 25. Within 24 hours, following weeks of erratic behavior, the bestselling female arttist of the 90's entered a Connecticut psychiatric hospital. During her 2 week stay she was treated for what her publicist called "an emotional and physical breakdown." Denying rumours of a suicide attempt, intimates pointed to exhaustion, and certainly Carey, 32, had more than chronic insomnia to keep her up nights: sluggish sales of her "Loverboy" single; a 117 million dollar recording contract to live up to; and a faded three-year romance with Latin singer Luis Miguel, 31. Weeks later, she would earn scathing reviews for her major film debut, "Glitter", which became the butt of comics jokes. ("Reports suggest that Osama bin Laden is most likely hiding out somewhere remote and barren; theaters showing the movie Glitter," quipped Saturday Night Lives Jimmy Fallon.) "She was devastated", says one close friend.

After an alleged setback in early September, Carey emerged from a reported thre week hospitalization at UCLA Medical Center to perform at the Sept. 21 "Amercia: A Tribute To Heroes" telethon. She has since appeared at awards shows, filmed an upcoming episode of "Ally McBeal" and made plans to sing the national anthem at the Super Bowl in February. "I tend to work myself to the ground," she told reporters. "And guess what? I'm human."

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I'd focus on how her media image has completely transcended her music - the phenomenon of celebrity, not artist. To any non-fan, the first thing you think of is not one of her songs, but her reputation as a spoilt, publicity-hungry brat. Right now, she's almost got to the famous-for-being-famous stage, which is never a good thing if you consider yourself to be an artist.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
In Australia, the media aren't very kind to her.

I think Australia sees Mariah as too much of a "diva".

But they were very sympathetic when she was going thru her breakdown. Cos thats kinda how Aussies are. :rolleyes:

At least, thats what I think the media's opinion is.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts