Martic (29)
Kuz (34)
Hsieh (34)
Flipkens (34)
Kanepi (34)
Zvonareva (35)
Sabine Lisicki (30)

WTA 2020 season seems almost cancelled to me :(
The players who wanted to retire at end of 2020 season could extend until end of 2021.
Andrea Petkovic said so already. And maybe Strycova, Navarro, Parmentier and Minella too?

Wozniacki, Sharapova and Gr枚nefeld chose the perfect moment to retire :)
Directly before this horrible devastating Coronavirus crisis.
Why are people forgetting about Rybarikova from retirement.

Registered
I think there's also a factor of 'why train?' right now? Like what are they actually training FOR at this point - with no actual knowledge of when the tour will resume. It's like they're having a big long off season (which most players hate), potentially for no tennis to actually be played until a while in the future.
Tennis players always complain that they can't have proper vacations. Now is the time to watch Netflix all day long and do their part. It's infuriating to see players still training outdoors without any regard for society, especially if it isn't even done in the country they represent or list as their residence.

Registered
I just wonder if Jelena Jankovic will ever comeback. Other players, more or less, we know their efforts and involvement in the tour but Jelena is such a mistery
To me it's very strange that she's not announced a retirement, and she has also given 0 indication that she intends to back a comeback. I would think a character and popular player like Jelena would say something for her fans.

Registered
Maybe but I also expect the opposite. You hear a lot from players who are forced to stay off the court due to injuries how much they start missing the game and how they feel mentally refreshed and with a newfound love for the sport when they return. I expect a lot of players to be aching to be back on court (even apart from financial considerations).

If you have no experience with it you don't know but competing is such a thrilling and addictive feeling. :cool:
All this. They'll never take tennis for granted, and realize how lucky they are to hit a ball for a living, now that sports is the last thing society cares about now.

Registered
Any WTA player over 30 or has a child should surely consider retiring. It makes sense and no one will question their reasoning. Are you listening Serena, Vika, Serena, Stosur??????
I'll never understand people who want players to retire. It's their decision to make, their injuries and bodies make the call, not anyone else.

Registered
We might find out at the END of the cancelled period...some players may not keep in top condition (especially if stuck in quarantine) and might decide they are not fit enough to return...but who knows anything!

Registered
Sure. Venus and Collins have to be very careful. Maybe Serena and Kim, who are older and have kids, have to rethink it.
It also depends on the vaccine. If it has no side effects and works well, life can be back to normal son after its out.
But right now, tennis seems very dangerous, all the flying and all the tournaments have people who flew from far distances.
Isn鈥榯 a vaccine @18 months away? Serena, Kim, Venus and Vika won鈥檛 be around on tour then.

Registered
I鈥檓 going to be a voice of doom. I think this is the end for several players, male and female. Serena is already self-isolating. Things aren鈥檛 going to improve, and a vaccine this year is a fantasy. No way will top players risk travelling the globe, particularly those with children. And a few have 鈥榟ealth conditions鈥, either real or exaggerated. I can鈥檛 see Venus and Serena risking it. And I don鈥檛 blame them, airports, airplanes, hotels, restaurants are the Virus鈥 wet dream.

Registered
Why are people forgetting about Rybarikova from retirement.
Rybarikova only would have played the Fed Cup Finals this year.
And she only would have played doubles there, NOT singles.
The Slovak tennis boss had to convince Magda to make herself available for Fed Cup doubles.
And so she only said yes for him and because she likes Fed Cup.

A big difference to the other players (Petkovic, Strycova, Navarro, Parmentier and Minella) who wanted to play the whole 2020 season in singles and only wanted to retire at the end of the season.

Registered
Rybarikova only would have played the Fed Cup Finals this year.
And only doubles there, NOT singles.
The Slovak tennis boss had to convince Magda to make herself available for Fed Cup doubles.
And so she only said yes for him.

A big difference to the other players (Petkovic, Strycova, Navarro, Parmentier and Minella) who wanted to play the whole 2020 season in singles and only wanted to retire at the end of the season.
I meant when people say that Wozniacki and Sharapova retired at the right time.

Registered
Didn't she get it years ago because she was injured and the doctor gave her something that also kill rats?
She鈥檚 had a number of relatively rare health issues, including allegedly stepping on a piece broken glass, which resulted in a severe foot laceration. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
Unlikely, given that her first pregnancy almost killed her due to PE.
Lots of women go on to have more children after a terrible birthing experience. My sister still wants another child after both her and her son nearly dying in child birth.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts