Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fact that there will be no tennis for a considerable period of time, players will be spending time at home...
Do you believe this will push some (older) players to take the decision and retire for good? Also can we expect more pregnancies from the active players if this "off season" lasts longer than expected?

·
Registered
11,373 Posts
A very valid question. Extraordinary circumstances such as these does make people, tennis players or not, question their career and life choices so it wouldn’t surprise me if we did see a few players not return - as they may feel this epidemic has increased the need for them to spend more time with their families / explore other avenues etc which may be more of a priority over tennis.

·
Registered
30,973 Posts
I wonder if Serena Williams might? You know she won't do it lightly, but she's getting old to try having more babies and might decide that this family time is more important than chasing slam trophies around the world.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I wonder if Serena Williams might? You know she won't do it lightly, but she's getting old to try having more babies and might decide that this family time is more important than chasing slam trophies around the world.
She is not going to retire the same year Sharapova did. Plus she won't announce a retirement when the world has already forgotten what tennis is.

·
Registered
113,208 Posts
Sure. Venus and Collins have to be very careful. Maybe Serena and Kim, who are older and have kids, have to rethink it.
It also depends on the vaccine. If it has no side effects and works well, life can be back to normal son after its out.
But right now, tennis seems very dangerous, all the flying and all the tournaments have people who flew from far distances.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
It depends on how long it will take to get the tour back to normal.

I don´t think there will be retirements directly related to the outbreak, but older players may have it more difficult to come back to top form once the tournements are back, they can train at home but it´s not the same as having real matches and the body gets a little more rusty

I just wonder if Jelena Jankovic will ever comeback. Other players, more or less, we know their efforts and involvement in the tour but Jelena is such a mistery

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
Maybe but I also expect the opposite. You hear a lot from players who are forced to stay off the court due to injuries how much they start missing the game and how they feel mentally refreshed and with a newfound love for the sport when they return. I expect a lot of players to be aching to be back on court (even apart from financial considerations).

If you have no experience with it you don't know but competing is such a thrilling and addictive feeling. :cool:

·
Registered
136 Posts
This situation will force a lot of players who can barely make ends meet to think again about their career goals.

The gap between rich and poor players will get bigger and the poorest will be forced out of the tour.

Federations and clubs are closed. Poor players quarantined on apartments will have a hard time coming back. They can't train properly. They can't work coaching, playing club tennis or giving private lessons. They can't afford several months without playing. And maybe they don't want to risk their lives to be ranked 500 in the world.

·
Registered
997 Posts
i think that players who were thinking of retiring this year that haven't done so yet, may decide to play on.

whoever you are, i think you would like to step on court and play a farewell event at least, and not have your decision made for you by the virus.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
33,294 Posts
This situation will force a lot of players who can barely make ends meet to think again about their career goals.

The gap between rich and poor players will get bigger and the poorest will be forced out of the tour.

Federations and clubs are closed. Poor players quarantined on apartments will have a hard time coming back. They can't train properly. They can't work coaching, playing club tennis or giving private lessons. They can't afford several months without playing. And maybe they don't want to risk their lives to be ranked 500 in the world.
That's a rather bleak post. But also a very well thought out one. Yeah, as much as it saddens me to say so, I think you are spot on.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
With all this down time with your better half, some may come back pregnant or already delivering in Dec/Jan. What else is done when at home?

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Maybe
Serena (38)
Venus (39, 40 this year)
Kerber (32)
Azarenka (30)
Martic (29)
Kuz (34)
Hsieh (34)
Flipkens (34)
Kanepi (34)
Zvonareva (35)
Sabine Lisicki (30)

WTA 2020 season seems almost cancelled to me :(
The players who wanted to retire at end of 2020 season could extend until end of 2021.
Andrea Petkovic said so already. And maybe Strycova, Navarro, Parmentier and Minella too?

Wozniacki, Sharapova and Grönefeld chose the perfect moment to retire :)
Directly before this horrible devastating Coronavirus crisis.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
I think there's also a factor of 'why train?' right now? Like what are they actually training FOR at this point - with no actual knowledge of when the tour will resume. It's like they're having a big long off season (which most players hate), potentially for no tennis to actually be played until a while in the future.

I'm thinking of players such as Kerber, Stosur etc. who are probably already winding down and losing interest... it can be hard to find the motivation or reasoning to stay in tip top shape and keep doing drills and kill yourself in the gym when there's no (foreseeable) reason to do it, no actual tennis on the horizon..

1 - 20 of 47 Posts