Tennis Forum banner

Is RG the worst of the slams for the women?

• Yes, it perenially sucks

Votes: 172 45.0%
  • No, it's great or at least better than AO/Wimby/USO

Votes: 210 55.0%
1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
10,190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Terrible matches, terrible finals for the last 7 years.. and seriously crappy play from the women's side.

:( RG for the women has been by far the worst of the four slams. Agree?

(Henin fans, plz try to be objective ;) )

Reactions: Mauresmo Fan

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
No it's great!

the best TV coverage, the best TV reports, the best winner (especially 2004!!)

·
Registered
20,122 Posts
Easily the worst slam of the 4.

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I personally think that it`s the worst slam by far, mainly because of the unappealing matches on that terrible clay court. I`m sorry but i just don`t like clay court tennis.

·
Registered
207 Posts
the answer is no, we can't agree. people will always have points going for or against whether the FO is the worst Grand Slam. Personally, I like RG better than AO, but that's just my personal preference and I don't expect anyone to share it or agree with it.

·
Administrator
29,120 Posts
It's always been my fav slam. Some classic finals in the past, but I do agree the last few years have been :eek:

·
Banned
14,999 Posts
just because no one can challenge Tin Tin doesn't mean this GS sucks.

·
Registered
11,190 Posts
strangely players who hate the FO are all Americans!!

American players suck on it . Get over it!

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
We got a Justine-Serena match at a major. We haven't had that in a long time.
If Justine wins tomorrow, they'll have 14 combined.
When they play in a major, it's a big deal.
This tournament also establishes Justine as an all-time great, if she wins her 3rd straight FO tomorrow.
So it could be viewed as an important slam historically.
If Ana wins the final, it could be her breakthru towards being a special player.

·
Art & Futures
20,902 Posts
i think clay court tennis can be very interesting, but i think most players now are used to hard so they just wanna lambast the ball like tomorrow so we end up just seeing too many errors that come right after a long point of them just hitting the ball back and forth instead of focusing on craft, guile, angles, mixing shots, slices, etc.

i think if green clay season was longer, like if INdian wells and/or miami was in green clay, then the clay season would be a bit more interesting because players would take the clay season and clay play more seriously.

·
Registered
14,233 Posts
I wouldn't say it sucks! But there is a lot of evidence to back up that this slam has the least high quality matches in recent years....

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
It's much better than the AO, because Justine is in it. She went to every slam final last year, and this one.
Not having her at a major means the major is missing a huge component.

Reactions: ptburrows

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I love the French Open at the start of the tournament. Usually the women's field disintegrates and we get the worst tournament ever (2004 was death death DEATH!) However, it is so pretty, it is French, it has history and character. I'd say I like Oz and RG the same. Wimbledon is the best. US Open is second.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Terrible matches, terrible finals for the last 7 years.. and seriously crappy play from the women's side.

:( RG for the women has been by far the worst of the four slams. Agree?

(Henin fans, plz try to be objective ;) )
I believe the French open has been around longer than seven years.

1 - 20 of 254 Posts