How Many Wins Can The US Women Rack Up?

• 8: No more wins for US Women

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't think it's any secret to anyone that the state of tennis in America is :eek:. There have been several articles about it (most notably the Year-End issue of Tennis Magazine last year had a cover story about the state of the game in the USA), and it continues to be cause of concern for many who feel that we're not producing anymore homegrown champs (Agassi, Evert, Serena and Venus, Linday, Pete).

At the Australian Open, there was a big to-do about the fact that for the FIRST TIME in the OPEN ERA, there were NO American Women's seeds (quickly nullified by the fact that the World #81 - who HAPPENED to be American, stormed to the title). Now we've got 2 American seeded players at the French Open (guess who?....I'll give you a hint...they're sisters), but all 9 of the US men lost in the first round.

So far, the US women have put up 8 wins (2 - Venus, 1- Serena, Ashley, Meilen, Jill, Meghann, Shenay), and that's not bad, but how many wins do you think we'll have at the end of the tournament to prevent this from being a complete US washout?

·
Registered
4,489 Posts
I think Serena will get to the quarterfinals, semis at best.

·
Art & Futures
20,890 Posts
Meilen will win the tourney

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
Well the US will continue it's streak of at least getting a man or a women into the quarters in singles of the French Open with Serena like it has in previous years.
In 2006 it was just Venus left by the quarters.
In 2005 it was just Lindsay left by the quarters.

·
Rena's Army
35,200 Posts
Serena wins the tournie :woohoo:

·
Premium Member
40,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the way the draw looks right now:

Ashley and Shenay are done (they both lost today)
Jill and Meghann need to play INCREDIBLY well if they want to make it to another round (Jill v. Sharapova; Meghann v. Kuznetsova)
Meilen's got a good shot to go deep too (2nd round v. Sugiyama, 3rd round v. Chakvetadze/Szavay, 4th round v. Safarova/Mauresmo), but she needs to play well.
Venus has a GREAT shot, but she needs to play 2 focused sets of tennis against Jankovic
Serena SHOULD win it, I hope she does, but I mean, she'll at least get to the quarters

Either way, it looks like we'll have about 3 womens seeds for Wimbledon, which is nice :yeah:
Serena should be in the 6-8 range, Venus somewhere from 19-30 (depending on how well she does here), and Meilen at 30-32 (maybe higher, depending on how well she does here and on the grass), so I mean, I think we're improving, we just need to work on clay, because for all of our wins to have to come from the WTA is :eek:

·
Registered
23,292 Posts
meilen may not be ranked at wimbledon actually because shes defending a semi at birmingham...but if she can reach the 3r here and defend a good chunk of those points in england then she very well could sneak in :yeah:

·
Banned
606 Posts
venus and serena always carrying the american flag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts