Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the big day draws closer and closer, I have this sicken feeling that Sr. Willie (Venus) will pull out of the open. I just don't think that she will be prepared for two weeks of competitive tennis, especially since she may not get a seed!

My question to the board: Can the Networks make it without the willies? Will fan come out and support the ladies 1/4's and 1/2 finals?

What do you think?

Cire

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
cirelowe said:
As the big day draws closer and closer, I have this sicken feeling that Sr. Willie (Venus) will pull out of the open. I just don't think that she will be prepared for two weeks of competitive tennis, especially since she may not get a seed!

My question to the board: Can the Networks make it without the willies? Will fan come out and support the ladies 1/4's and 1/2 finals?

What do you think?

Cire

Why wouldn't Venus get a seed???

·
Registered
17,738 Posts
Im not sure, its the US Open, and if the media want to hype up some bitch fight between Kim and Juju then they could. Kim is a nice girl.

Also Sharapova and Zvonereva could go far in this tournament, and could court some major attention.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Venus will be there even if she has to play in her hospital gown....even if it is not tied up in the back! :eek:

·
Registered
6,688 Posts
Thread answer: Yes. But it would be quite difficult to support the TV ratings of last year for the prime time women's final.

I do believe, however, that VENUS will play.
and win. :)

The networks should hire SERENA and anna as color commentators.
That would make even the dullest match very interesting. :) LOL

·
Registered
47,657 Posts
Why wouldn´t Venus get a seed?! It ain´t like she´s out of the top 100 or something!! She´s still no.5 in the world!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the American-fueled desire for a dominant non-willie is stronger than any Russian pretty girl! New Yorkers want the willies taking out - by any means necessary! Without them, the fever is lost!

Cire

·
Serena's #1 Hater
20,615 Posts
cirelowe said:

What do you think?

Cire
1. Venus Williams WILL play the Open, even if she has to get bandaged up like a mummy again.

2. As much as I love Venus and Serena (in that order), the Open managed to survive for more than 100 years before they started playing, and it will somehow manage to go on after they both retire. I just hope that it will be a LONG time before they both retire! ;)

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
TSequoia01 said:
Venus will be there even if she has to play in her hospital gown....even if it is not tied up in the back! :eek:
You can bet it'll be a very stylish
hospital gown!:lol:

I too believe Venus will show,
her injury may not be completely gone but
it isn't as bad as it was against Serena and if it
doesn't get that bad during the tournament she'll be fine!

As for the rating,
we'll see French Open(lowest in quite some time) like ratings if
Venus isn't there. You can take that to the bank, like it or not.

GO VENUS!!! :worship: :worship: :worship:

·
Registered
278 Posts
The tourney will survive, but I cant speak for the heart and the ulcer of the head of Sports Programming at USA and CBS...they are very upset over the Serena issue...I hope someone steps up to the plate and creates some drama in place of Rena...

Here in NY...the post is sure to find someone else to profile everyday...in place of Rena...if Masha lifts her skirt up too high when getting a ball...she is a sureshot ;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
cirelowe said:
I believe the American-fueled desire for a dominant non-willie is stronger than any Russian pretty girl! New Yorkers want the willies taking out - by any means necessary! Without them, the fever is lost!

Cire
This New Yorker doesn't want the "willies" out. ;)

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
cirelowe said:

Cire
I still want to know why Venus wouldn't get a seed!! :confused:

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
1.) Unless we hear otherwise, Venus will play the US Open and is a big contender to walk away the champion. Look at it this way, Venus didn't play any warmups to the Australian Open this year and made the finals.

2.) Why wouldn't Venus receive a seed? She is still in the top five.

3.) The US Open crowd wants to see great, entertaining matches. They may be pulling for the underdog, but I'm sure that they are aware of how special the Williams sisters are.

·
Banned
1,735 Posts
Knizzle said:
I still want to know why Venus wouldn't get a seed!! :confused:
Knizzle, how many times do I have to say that cirelowe has a habit of making himself look ... shall we say..... less than astute (along with his surrogate, selesrules). Don't expect an answer because when he's called out on his silliness all you get is :bolt:

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
cirelowe said:

What do you think?

Cire
No, they should shut the whole damn tournment down. I mean they aren't any other good players planing on playing the US Open this year. :rolleyes: But if tournment officals feel they must go on with play, its not even worth the networks time to show the matches on TV.

·
Premium Member
20,087 Posts
hmmmmmmm.....well, I hope Venus plays.

If an all belgian final happens then people will be mildly interested in the states. Also, you probably won't hear about it here either if both make the finals. It won't be highly rated as the sister matches, but I guess it will be a big hit in the little country belguim.

I hope Venus wins though, and the American crowds should embrace her since she is almost considered the underdog now.

GO VENUS!! PROVE THE DETRACTORS WRONG!

·
Registered
19,459 Posts
BigTennisFan said:
Knizzle, how many times do I have to say that cirelowe has a habit of making himself look ... shall we say..... less than astute (along with his surrogate, selesrules). Don't expect an answer because when he's called out on his silliness all you get is :bolt:
He has abandoned his former favorite player Capriati. I wonder why?? He tries to sound objective, but he is just another Williams hater.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
squawk box said:
LOL...tennis did exist loooong before the Williams sisters.I don't think you're giving fans enough credit;there seems to be this assumption that EVERYONE wants to watch the Williams...they don't. :)
Did the WTA have the demographics in viewers across the board that the sisters bought?

I know many people who only watch tennis when the Sisters are playing.
The sisters bring in the casual fan who otherwise wouldn't watch.
Yes, it would/will survive, but it won't thrive the way it has since the sisters came into prominence.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.