Tennis Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

Amelie Mauresmo, Serena Williams, Patty Schnyder and Martina Hingis are the top four players in the world on the WUTA Circuit, and they are dominant. All four reached the semis here at the Family Circle Cup, with Hingis and Schnyder reaching the final. Hingis beat Amelie Mauresmo 6-4, 7-6, while Schnyder topped Willimams 6-4, 7-5. Mauresmo was the current No. 1 , but her loss to Hingis in the semis will make Schnyder the new No. 1 on Monday. Schnyder also went on to defeat Hingis 6-3, 6-4 in the final. As we move toWarsaw, Poland for the J&S Cup, we have to ask; Can the top four be stopped? What will it say about the rest of the tour if all four reach the semis at J&S? We don’t know the answers, but we decided to take a look at the over-all accomplishments of all four players so far, in different categories.

Head to Head with each other

Schnyder: 1-0 with Mauresmo, 2-1 with Williams, 1-1 with Hingis = 4/2

Williams: 1-0 with Mauresmo, 1-0 with Hingis, 1-2 with Schnyder = 3/2

Hingis: 1-1 with Mauresmo, 0-1 with Williams, 1-1 with Schnyder = 2/3

Mauresmo: 1-1 Hingis, 0-1 with Williams, 0-1 with Schnyder = 1/3

Win/Loss Records

Schnyder 9-3
Mauresmo 12-4
Williams 10-4
Hingis 12-5

Tournaments Won

Schnyder - 2 (Australian, GS & T2)
Mauresmo - 1 (Medibank, T1)
Williams - 1 (Mondial, T2)
Hingis - 0

Finals Reached

Hingis - 3
Mauresmo - 2
Schnyder - 2
Williams – 2

Strike Rate in Finals

Schnyder 2/0

Mauresmo 1/1

Williams 1/1

Hingis 0/3

Current Rankings

1. Patty Schnyder | SUI | 1012
2. Amelie Mauresmo | FRA | 910
3. Serena Williams | USA | 901
4. Martina Hingis | SUI | 625

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
To me, the rankings are a little unaccurate. Yes, Martina is the only player out of the four to not win a title - but, she finished second in three of the five tournaments. To me, that is good enough to surpass some of the players who have already lost in the first and second rounds.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
This is sooo nice of you Ms Austin! :D I loves it! Patty is by far the best! She's like a Federerr! :sad:

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Simplicity said:
This is sooo nice of you Ms Austin! :D I loves it! Patty is by far the best! She's like a Federerr! :sad:
Well, not quite - but, Patty is the best player on Tour. :D

Serena isn't doing too bad herself.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
I agree with you Geisha. The rankings should be like this:

1) Schnyder

2) Williams

3) Hingis

4) Mauresmo Sorry Ms austin :sad:

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Simplicity said:

1) Schnyder

2) Williams

3) Hingis

Umm, I don't know if I agree with that. I think it is obvious that Schnyder is the #1 player - she's won two of the five tournaments and has the best record against the best players. Serena Williams is great, too - won Gold Coast, reached the finals in Melbourne - but, Serena also lost in the opening round of Auckland, I believe. Mauresmo has shown extreme consistency and I think, at this point in the game, that is more important. Martina is the master of consistency - three finals, one semifinal, and one quarterfinal. Her two losses before the finals were to Marion Bartoli, who is probably the fifth best player. So, I think the true order of the top four should be like this:

01. SCHNYDER, Patty
02. HINGIS, Martina
T03. MAURESMO, Amelie/WILLIAMS, Serena

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Schnyder won't do too well after the clay, hehe. Doubt there'll be any titles after the next few weeks for her!

The family circle cup was just a tier 2, much to my annoyance ;)
That's what I think is wrong. I truly believe that Schnyder, Mauresmo, Hingis, and S.Williams, will continue to have great results on our third and fourth best surfaces. We're just too good this season - it is possible Bartoli or Kournikova, or even Hantuchova might squeeze a tournament win, but we'll be holding the top four spots for the rest of the season.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Simplicity said:

1) Schnyder

2) Williams

3) Hingis

It's cool, you are entitled to your opinion, but I disagree and see it like this,

1. Schnyder
2. Williams
3. Mauresmo
4. Hingis

Schnyder is obviously No. 1. Mauresmo won a T1 and Williams won a T2, but... when it mattered most in the Australian semis, Williams beat Mauresmo, giving her the nod to No. 2 in my opinion. I give Mauresmo the nod to to No. 3 over Hingis, because when it mattered most with a title on the line, Mauresmo beat Hingis, and Hingis still has not won a tournament. Another thing to keep in mind is that Mauresmo has had less points to use when facing all three of you on rebound (190 to 200) and clay (190 to 220). Who knows what would have happened had Mauresmo won any of the 3 coin tosses against Hingis in the Family Circle Cup (she clearly would have won the second set)? would she have won? if so, how would she have faired against Schnyder, we don't know!

The true test will be to see if you three can compete on grass and hard as well as Mauresmo did on rebound and clay... so far.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sonic The Hedgehog said:
Schnyder won't do too well after the clay, hehe. Doubt there'll be any titles after the next few weeks for her!

The family circle cup was just a tier 2, much to my annoyance ;)
I assumed Family Circle was a T1 like in real life, I'll have to edit my post. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
^^ It was close between you and Hingis for me..But I'm going to say that I like your opinion more. We all agree on one thing, patty is better :sad:

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Is consistency not important? Serena lost in the opening round of Auckland. That's not a good result and is not a result of the second-best player.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
Gesiha.. I lost to Bartoli, a player that you also lost to in the QFs of the Aussy. :rolleyes: Uspets DO happen! ;)

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Simplicity said:
Gesiha.. I lost to Bartoli, a player that you also lost to in the QFs of the Aussy. :rolleyes: Uspets DO happen! ;)
Oh - ok. My apologies.

But - still. On my record, I have:

01. FINALS
02. SEMIFINALS
03. FINALS
04. QUARTERFINALS
05. FINALS

Although I don't have a victory, three finals surely means something. I've shown how good I am on two different surfaces, and I've beaten Mauresmo and Schnyder, as well.

·
Banned
1,187 Posts
^^ It means you're a choker, and you'll never win the big one :hug: just kidding, but if rankings were based on consistency, Sharapova would be the current #1 on the WTA Tour ;) Winning the big ones is what matters :hug:

·
HAND SCRAPED
7,145 Posts
Sometimes its luck where u win due to the tier system....

Someone with 3 semi's will be ranked lower than someone with 3 QF's cos of the tiers.

I guess some of u are taking that into account, and others not? I haven't really looked to see who's doin what.

Someone should talk about Schnyder's 1-3 record after the first 3 tournaments ;) someone can say she's #2 or 3 heheheh :D :D :D fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight!!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,523 Posts
Simplicity said:
^^ It means you're a choker, and you'll never win the big one :hug: just kidding, but if rankings were based on consistency, Sharapova would be the current #1 on the WTA Tour ;) Winning the big ones is what matters :hug:
I suppose you're right. But, she has reached few finals, as well. Unlike Hingis on the WUTA tour.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts