Tennis Forum banner

Will the Kuznetsova forehand become a great all time shot?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm amazed how Svetlana is able to hit that shot so consistently - basically if she's on form or not, her forehand is always steady. Can her forehand become a legend shot? Like the Sampras forehand, the Federer forehand, the Graf forehand and Lendl forehand? I know certain factors will determine that but...

When Svetlana skips around the backhand and hits the forehand down the line for a winner, that has Sampras written all over it, she's able to do that leaning back, like Sampras did. Nearly all other players have to step into the shot to hit the winner as opposed to leaning back and creating magic. Plus she hits the inside out forehand with incredible pace and topspin.

What do you think?

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
I'm amazed how Svetlana is able to hit that shot so consistently - basically if she's on form or not, her forehand is always steady. Can her forehand become a legend shot? Like the Sampras forehand, the Federer forehand, the Graf forehand and Lendl forehand? I know certain factors will determine that but...

When Svetlana skips around the backhand and hits the forehand down the line for a winner, that has Sampras written all over it, she's able to do that leaning back, like Sampras did. Nearly all other players have to step into the shot to hit the winner as opposed to leaning back and creating magic. Plus she hits the inside out forehand with incredible pace and topspin.

What do you think?
I don't think that shot is as consistent as you say, but I do think it's fantastic when she's focussed. All she needs is some better fitness and a little more mental toughness, and her entire game could be the stuff of legends. She can beat ANYONE on a given day. She can also lose to just about anyone in the top 50 too.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
49,763 Posts
No because the greatest shot of all time is(even though im not a graf fan) the steffi graf forehand. So much power

·
Rena's Army
35,200 Posts
no...nowhere near sampras like to me :eek: plus there is Ivanovic, MaSha has a better forehand, Serena when it's on, Kim, Davenport ( :drool: )

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
To become one of the great shots of all the time, Kuznetsova needs also to become (like her forehand) one of the greatest player ever.She isn't with only one slam.

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
For alltime, that forehand first has to win Sveta 10 more majors. It's a good forehand.

·
Registered
9,229 Posts
From a technical standpoint, it simply is the best forehand in the woman's game right now. But like Safin's BH, or Gasquet's BH, it's not always enough to win matches.

·
Registered
47,730 Posts
no.

you call yourself a fan, but you can't see that she mainly loses matches from forehand unforced errors? :eek:

·
Registered
17,211 Posts
No.
There's just too much going on.
All the players you have named were in supreme fitness.
When you're fit like they were, you're able to get to more shots faster and that makes that player seem like they're a genius at that their shot selection with whatever their dominant groundstroke is.
The girl moves fast for her size but like Navratilova in her early days, if she got fitter who knows what could happen.
As far as I can tell, Kuznetsova would rather be the women's version of Nalbandian on tour.

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
Sveta won a major, so there's no Dahveed comparison.

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I for one think that her coaching staff has overrated her forehand-- she would do much better if she focused on improving her backhand rather than constantly running around it.

·
Registered
13,896 Posts
no...nowhere near sampras like to me :eek: plus there is Ivanovic, MaSha has a better forehand, Serena when it's on, Kim, Davenport ( :drool: )
I agree, but pleeeease, Masha is not a combination of MAria and SHArapova. x_X

Reactions: mboyle

·
Registered
115,300 Posts
That's just how she wants to play. She used to run outside the ad court doubles line to hit her forehand.

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
I don't think it is consistent. It has a funky technique. I think it is definitely a good shot, and Kuznetsova is unquestionably one of the best 5 or 10 players on tour and will be for some time, but her forehand will never be a Graf forehand or an Evert backhand. Those shots are there naturally and develop before a player is 22 years old.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
No it's got worse in my opinion and she has suddenly taken a lot of pace off of it!

·
Banned
35,898 Posts
Hmm, it's one of the best at the current time, along with Ivanovic ect.

Not in history.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts