Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lleyton Hewitt doesn't believe so, according to this insert from "The Daily Telegraph" :

"Lleyton Hewitt, the world champion, helped comfort himself after a third-round defeat - before leaving for Dusseldorf, where he leads Australia in their opening World Team Cup match against the Czech Republic today - with the belief these courts are so different from those at Roland Garros, that the Argentines may not rule at the French Open, which starts on Monday week.

The Wimbledon champion accepts that the French is the most difficult Slam for him to win but hopes that, by preparing on clay for just two weeks, he will at least arrive in Paris fresh enough to last the daunting fortnight."

Argentines rule the roost in Hamburg

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
how are the courts different? does anyone know?

·
Premium Member
181,834 Posts
Paris courts are the fastest out of the clay courts anywhere.

Hamburg courts are the slowest of them all, too much top dressing on them. Plus its cold/miserable , balls travel much slower in air in cold.

plus the balls they use at Roland Garros are the fastest ones available and not balloons at Hamburg.

Conditions couldnt be anymore different
but i still think its gonna be the same familar faces ;)

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
well i don't think hewitt has any chance. basically i think all the clay coourt speciallists can beat him. i think even someone like roddick will be able to get past hewitt.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Hewitt once compared playing in Hamburg to hitting footballs, the balls were that heavy. The conditions may be different in Paris, but then the Argentines that shone in Hamburg have done so throughout most of the claycourt season. No matter what type of clay or indeed what surface full stop Coria is put on, he's going to do well. I'm really starting to hope that he and Hewitt meet at RG, since in their game styles and personalities they are so similar that it would be a fascinating match-up. Methinks Coria would give him a taste of his own medicine.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I don't think so with Argentine will win here!!!!!!!!

I hope that Paradorn will get along well with faster court at RG

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
The short answer is no, considering the best of the best clay players didn't play at TMS Hamburg. That said, I believe the Argentine faces will be among those left in the second week.

Was Calleri as inconsistent today as he was vs Davydenko in Estoril? That was pretty appalling.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
Hendouble said:
...No matter what type of clay or indeed what surface full stop Coria is put on, he's going to do well. I'm really starting to hope that he and Hewitt meet at RG, since in their game styles and personalities they are so similar that it would be a fascinating match-up. Methinks Coria would give him a taste of his own medicine.
sorry but there is nothing about Coria's game or his personality that even remotely reminds me of the Potato. Coria is endlessly creative as a player. Hewitt is a scrambler. and as far as i am aware, Coria doesn't throw ugly tantrums on court and Hewitt has never been accused of physically assaulting anything other than flowers.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
I'll agree that there are many differences between them, but there are plenty of similarities; the amazing speed around the court, the incredible gets, the passing shots at full stretch, the mental determination and intensity on court, the desire to get to every ball... true, Coria has a more diverse game than Hewitt and has more weapons at his disposal, but he still reminds me of a clay-court Hewitt every time I see him.

·
Registered
5,730 Posts
hendouble:
i respectfully disagree. Hewitt is a defensive, scrambling retriever -- probably the best. Coria is much more aggressively creative -- he creates openings and opportunites. he has a wider array of shots and he is much better at combining finesse and aggression. there is a huge difference between the two IMO. let's just agree to disagree on this one.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts