Tennis Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
10,772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's it about? I can't be arsed to read all the long threads ... thank you :)

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Going in to the long program, the standings were -
1. Anton and Yelena (the Russian Pair)
2. Jamie and David (the Canadian pair)

Well each pair skated their long program Monday night.
The Canadians skated a perfectly clean program, and were nearly flawless, IMO.

Anton (from Russia) messed up one of his landings on their side by side jumps - though he did get right back into things after like it had never happened.

Yelena was shakey on a couple of her landings from the throws - throws which were less difficult than the ones that Jamie landed perfectly.

But alas - being better than the Russians wasn't good enough, and the Canadians were placed second - much to the outrage of skating commentators world wide, and to everyone in the audience.

Some still argue that they Russians were better - even though their skate wasn't clean :rolleyes:

But now rumours are flying left and right about certaint judges having agreements before the performace on who they would vote for together - etc etc. This is all being investigated. Which means nothing will happen - as it is being investigated by the ISU, who are a group of rich biased assholes, who support the idiots who pre- judge - I mean - "judge" the skaters.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
The worst thing about it Becca is that two countries - Russia and Canada- are having a disaster Olympics, winning nothing. And now on top of that we have all world having fun watching our countries bitterly fight each other over that little that they did manage to win..:(

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
ys- true enough.

I feel in a way that all this controversy isn't fair for the Russian pair - if I didn't know better I'd almost say I feel sorry for them for getting caught in the middle of it - though its hard to feel sorry for someone who just won an Olympic Gold :)

However I still have high hopes for Canada in hockey, both mens and womens, where we are strong contendors.

And I have a good feeling we won't be shown up in the womens 500m speed skate tomorrow. A new Olympic record was posted today :) Though the German woman was only 4 hundredth of a second behind :eek:

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
I still can't but feel that the whole story is very unfair to the Russians. For decades we regualrly were on the wrong side of the stick when judging is concerned. And there was an outcry. But only in Russia. Nobody cared outside of Russia. If you really think that should the roles in this story be switched, the scandal would be of the same or even any sizeable proportions, you are either naive or hypocrite. Can you imagine the same outcry in North America if it were Russians misjudged? No way.
Khorkina story in Sydney was, IMHO, much bigger scandal, and nobody cared. Organizers just ruined her chances in her last Olympics, and everybody forgot about that the next day. Episode was barely mentioned on Olympic website. Our soccer teams are getting killed by referreing or even worse by governing bodies on regular basis. And no one even interested. And even refs involved don't get punished, simply because what they do is OK, no one wants to see Russians winning in anything, except for chess, perhaps. Russian athletes in SLC all say that are being treated worst by organizers. Cold War maybe is war in politics, but no way it is over in sports.

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
I've watched both routines now a couple of times...Sale and Pelletier were perfect, but it was a simple and yes boring routine.

The Russians used a much harder routine, mistakes and all, it was IMHO, a better showing. I actually felt something when they skated. :)

I would of voted 1. Russia..2. Canada

·
Banned
5,664 Posts
Oh and i know stuff all about skating by the way, but if the Russians made me feel something..then isn't that the idea?

·
Premium Member
181,846 Posts
thanx adrian :)

more pts are given for artistery in the long program, so a mistake is less important than if you do it in the short when the required elements are essential.

ys .... i know what you mean ..... i don't think its gonna end soon though.

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
Eggy, any scandal can be as big as interest of public goes about the matter. All news or scandals are not created just out of nothig. They are created for certain consumer. If there is no consumer, it is simply not news, or not a scandal. If it were Russians, almost no one would be interested or touched by that. So it would have gone forgotten the second day. Even people who are trying to be objective and fair, like Becca, for instance, would forget it very soon, if it wasn't getting heat up by the media all the time. It would be no story. But why do I say "would"? It is going on for all those 20+ years that I am watching competetive sports and surely it was the same before.:(

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I think I am known as being fair. I was rooting hard for Elena and Anton. But I thought Jamie and David were more deserving of the Pairs gold.

But here is where it gets tricky. The Russians skated a more difficult routine. And in some peoples eyes, the Russians were more artistic as well. That helps narrow the gap between Jamie and Davids virtually flawless Long program and the Russians slightly flawed Long program.

Then we must consider other reasons that helped get the gold medal. Some of these reasons are political and some are from bad feelings. Jamie and David didn't perform in Russia or anywhere in Europe leading up to the Olympics. That may have caused some resentment. Jamie and David used a wonderful Long program that was a couple of years old. That probably didn't sit well with a few of the judges. And Jamie and David won the World Championships last year in Vancouver, when many people, myself included, thought Elena and Anton deserved the gold. Do some judges have resentments and hold grudges against skaters for various reasons? I think so. It's not fair. But I think this kind of behaviour and judging has happened for years.

Also something that needs to be discussed is how most people in figure skating have been waiting for the end of the Russian figure skating dynasty for years. I'm sure the Russian competitors feel that most people are against them. And I can't blame them. I agree with ys. Where has the North American media been when it comes to interviewing Russian figure skaters and officials, and asking them why they thought Elena and Anton deserved the gold? It hasn't happened. Why? Where are the legendary Russian Pairs skaters Ekaterina Gordeeva and Irina Rodnina? I would love to hear there thoughts on all of this. There certainly hasn't been equal time for the Russians to defend themselves or make a case for Elena and Anton winning the gold. And that's not right.

I have an idea on what should be done to the French judge. I think it's the fairest solution to everyone involved. This thread will be in the non-tennis section.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
"Even people who are trying to be objective and fair, like Becca, for instance, would forget it very soon, if it wasn't getting heat up by the media all the time. "

Afraid you picked the wrong example ys. I most certaintly would not forget what I saw.

Everytime I watched pairs skating it would come to mind. Heck, I'd remember at any figure skating event.
I've always thought the judging was srewy, and this would have only served as another example.
Everytime I saw Sale and Pelletier on anything, I would remember.

So stop saying that I would forget if the media wasn't covering. I posted my opinion on the topic, immediately following what I saw - before I heard the media reaction.

Furthermore if you think everyone is out to get the Russians, than your in la la land, and paranoid.

I'm not naive - maybe SOME people are out to get the Russians - but I highly doubt its an internation conspiracy :rolleyes: And I certaintly assure you its not me - or I'd be a jackass for rooting for the Russian men.

the cat - perhaps the Russians aren't defending themselves cause they don't feel they have to. If they feel they turned in a gold medal performance, like their supporters agree, then they shouldn't feel any need to come forward and say anything.
I don't blame them a bit - I'm sure I'd do the same. I imagine they are just enjoying their victory :)

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
It was sooooooooo Canadas gold!:(

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
Becca, I don't believe Elena and Anton are enjoying their gold medal at all. I'm sure they are very upset at the notion that they don't deserve the gold. Maybe they would tell you that they should have won the gold medal last year in Vancouver, and it's just subjective scoring in figure skating. I'm not sure what the Russians are thinking or saying. No one has interviewed them. How ridiculous is that? They would probably just say it was a close call and the judges just barely went for them. But they should be giving their side of the story. That's for sure.

The sad thing is that this is only going to get worse before it gets better. Or is that a good thing?

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
"No one has interviewed them. How ridiculous is that? They would probably just say it was a close call and the judges just barely went for them. But they should be giving their side of the story. That's for sure. "

On one hand it may not seem fair they don't get to tell their side of the story - on the other, why should they have to?

i don't think it would be fair for them to have reporters in their face everyday asking how they feel about their victory - while they know full well the reporters who are asking this don't think they should have won.

Personally, I'm glad they are being left out of this.

They are victims of this whole mess too - and its not fair on them
:(

·
Registered
15,226 Posts
Ok I have a few comments to make on this situation and on this thread... first of all I am a very very proud canadian and I 100% percent think Jamie and David should of won.. ok now to what I wanted to say:

1) I'm not sure how recent the last message in this thread is but I cannot be that recent because nobody went in debt about the french judge. The judge, the french federation as well as the referee of the pairs event have all admitted that the french judge was pressured into voting for the russians... most likely to earn a vote for the french in ice dance but that has yet to be concerned

2) I can't speak for anybody except myself although i'm fairly certian most people do not blame the Russians for this... I totally blame the judges... if anything I feel bad for the russians... the only reason if feel bad for Jamie and David more than the russians is because obviously anton and yelena have a gold medal... jamie and david do not. I feel bad for the russians because first of all, all of this must really be awful for them to hear because everybody is basically saying that Jamie and David were better which must be tough to hear over and over and plus, their gold medal is gonna feel empty... comparable to if Jen or Venus encoutered somebody ranked in the 100s in the quarters, semis and final of a grand slam.

3) The russians are being interviewed tonight on larry king for anybody who really wants to watch... ok the reason I think they haven't been interviewed by the north american media is because a) i feel if they really wanted to be heard the russian media would speak out and get them on the air... if it was worth hearing, it would be on north american tv. b) they can't really say anything concerning the situation because they probably wouldn't say we were better we deserved it because that's a cocky thing to say and also they wouldn't say Jamie and David deserved it we shouldn't have won... like somebody pointed out they'd just say it was a close call and they can't do anything abotu the judges etc...

4) Concerning the world championships, the soccer whatever... if russian media, federation members etc... decide not to say anything over what they feel was unfair judging well then that's their problem... Jamie and David can't be punished because the russians kept quiet about something that had previously happened. If you want something to be done you have to do something about it, not wait for somebody else to do it for you. At the world championships ( i didn't watch so what i'm saying is completely based on what i heard) if the russians felt they were robbed of a gold, they had to complain... the north american media wasn't going to pick up on just like at the olympics... if the north americans hadn't said anything the russian media wouldn't have said anything either and in two years i wouldn't be in position to complain about that!

·
Banned
6,840 Posts
With the tarnish this is going to give to Skaitng's credibitly..the situation is not helping the sport at all..I think it's about time to change how the sport is judged..Watching some of the other events I have thought about an idea of having judges judge certain elements such as..

Judges for Jumps only, Artistry, Spins..ect. ect... like they have in snowboarding..That way a judge will have to focus on one aspect and only one aspect and I think a fairer result will be acheived?

And the judges shouldn't be employed by fedrations, but by the ISU it's self..No volunteers, that way the judges don't have to report to certain countries, and won't get pressued like the French judge is being said to have been (even though it's not quite fact yet).

·
Registered
8,315 Posts
ys, how can Russians be on the wrong end of the judging stick for decades if they have won 11 pairs in a row? Check me if I am wrong, but that would span 38 years.

Russia comes out of this terribly. Not only do they look corrupt, but their skaters get less respect than they would have with a honest silver medal.

Canada, on the other hand, looks put upon, and Sale/Pelletier are far more loved and respected than they would ever have been with the gold.

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Well one thing is for sure - Sale/Pelletier are never going to have to worry about money again lol

Though I have a sneaking suspicion they'd rather discuss a Gold medal, than discuss the controversial lack of one. (I think they actualyl said that).

Its good to see they are being so open with the media, allowing for interviews with everyone :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts