Tennis Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When Venus Williams made her debut at the US Open in 1997 she was still a teenager and immature in the game. However, she managed to make it to the finals losing to World Number 1 Martina Hingis.

Does Sharapova have a chance to make such an impressive run at the Open this year? I think she does. She made it to the 4th round of Wimbledon, she gave Kim a tough battle last week and showed us all that she is going to be a tough shark. If she puts her mind on it, I think she can make quite a mark at the Open. I don't know about winning the whole thing, but she can go far. She is aggressive and her game suits the surface.

Come on Maria, let's go and spice things up at the Open this year.

Reactions: Gowza

·
Registered
3,760 Posts
No I don't think she will make the finals! But the draw is important. If she has to play a top 8 player in the 2rd than I don't think she'll come far. But if she has a good draw, than she has a good chance to make the quarterfinals! :D

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
The draw is crucial. Maria could draw a top 5 or top 10 player in the first round. :sad: Or she could play a qualifier in the first round. I see her winning a couple of matches if she gets a good draw. But the pressure is on Maria now because of great expectations. How will she handle the pressure?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Id love to see a surprise in the final four(a young surprise) there hasnt been one thats put up a good fight in ages! Id love o see a few seeds fall early - Hasnt Maria been living in the states for most of her life? so maybe the home crowd can help her out?

·
Registered
686 Posts
the cat said:
The draw is crucial. Maria could draw a top 5 or top 10 player in the first round. :sad: Or she could play a qualifier in the first round. I see her winning a couple of matches if she gets a good draw. But the pressure is on Maria now because of great expectations. How will she handle the pressure?
Just what I was going to say. I think it really depends on her draw. We could see a repeat of the Clijsters match in the first round.

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
I can judge whether she can go far in the US Open or not after watching the opening match between Maria and Elena L on TV tonight. :D

·
Registered
932 Posts
jenny161185 said:
Id love to see a surprise in the final four(a young surprise) there hasnt been one thats put up a good fight in ages! Id love o see a few seeds fall early - Hasnt Maria been living in the states for most of her life? so maybe the home crowd can help her out?
Hey its only been 2 years ago since a teenager was in a Final of a Major; justine at Wimbledon and Kim at French

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
i think she has a chance but she's still young and inexperienced. she certainly has the game and she did take clijsters to 3 sets.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I hope she does well, but I think it would be difficult for her to reach the final/semifinal unless the draw really opens up and goes her way

In any case, good luck to her :hearts:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts