Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a strange feeling that it will be a good match (presuming it occurs). if mary is fit then i think she will be dangerous. not saying she will win, but you never now.

don't blow up serena fans, this is more of a go mary thread, not an anti-serena thread.

·
Registered
21,741 Posts
switz said:
i have a strange feeling that it will be a good match (presuming it occurs). if mary is fit then i think she will be dangerous. not saying she will win, but you never now.

don't blow up serena fans, this is more of a go mary thread, not an anti-serena thread.
It's hard to say. 3 years ago when Mary was in shape and Serena was mentally unstable, she definitely could, but Serena is a thousand times better and I think Serena would need a terrible off day to lose to Pierce at her best

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
last year they played in the quarters. Serena drilled her 6-1 6-1. that's about what I'd expect if they played again.

·
Registered
11,233 Posts
I'd be surprised if Mary gets by Clarisa first. :eek:

With all the injuries and inconsistency, Clarisa may very well beat her. :sad:

And, if she does meet Serena, expect a result of what happened last year. :eek:

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
can mary beat serena? sure....

will she...no

but i do think mary will get to the 3rd round to play her....i doubt mary will have any trouble with fernandez.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Didn't Mary beat Serena once in Indian wells 6-1 6-2. I know that it was long time ago, but it just shows her potential to win. However, given their current shapes, I doubt that Mary would be a problem to Serena.

·
Sabatini lover Forever
15,213 Posts
Yes in 2000 year Mary Pierce could... right now she can`t

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
oggie said:
Didn't Mary beat Serena once in Indian wells 6-1 6-2. I know that it was long time ago, but it just shows her potential to win. However, given their current shapes, I doubt that Mary would be a problem to Serena.
yep, ur right oggie, those were the days :eek:. Serena said that she had never seen Mary play better :eek:.

But that was then...Right now, I believe that Mary hits the ball as well as she did back then, but the only big problems are her fitness and injuries. Even without her mobility, Mary has shown that she can beat great players (Myskina, Coetzer) just with her strokes, thats how good Pierce is from the baseline, but against Serena, it wont work.

I have seen that these days, only speedy players have been able to beat Serena (Kim, Justine, Amelie) and without Mary's mobility, she wont be able to do it. But if Serena is off, and Mary is playing very well, I expect something close like 6-4 6-4. Last year in the quarters when these two met, I think it was the best match Serena played in the tournament (besides third set of her and Jenn in semis) and Mary just got thrashed 6-1 6-1 :(

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yes but in my opinion serena is having a much more inconsistant year. i don't mean in terms of her results so don't go and tell me all the tournaments she has one and the finals she has made, i mean in terms of how she plays during a tournament. we are seeing a lot more 7-5 sets against much lower ranked players, and obviously the losses to henin and mauresmo, which just gives me this feeling that if mary turns up a little fitter and striking the ball like she was against chanda when she bageled her in the first set of the aus open then we might she some fireworks. no doubt it is going to take serena being off her game and every thing to go right for mary, but i have just have a feeling that it will be closer than people think (if it happens at all, but the fact is that if mary is not injured she is miles stronger player than fernandez and again i don't babsi can match her)

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
switz said:
yes but in my opinion serena is having a much more inconsistant year. i don't mean in terms of her results so don't go and tell me all the tournaments she has one and the finals she has made, i mean in terms of how she plays during a tournament. we are seeing a lot more 7-5 sets against much lower ranked players, and obviously the losses to henin and mauresmo, which just gives me this feeling that if mary turns up a little fitter and striking the ball like she was against chanda when she bageled her in the first set of the aus open then we might she some fireworks. no doubt it is going to take serena being off her game and every thing to go right for mary, but i have just have a feeling that it will be closer than people think (if it happens at all, but the fact is that if mary is not injured she is miles stronger player than fernandez and again i don't babsi can match her)
You do have a point there and as far as Im concerned, I will be so incredibly happy if Mary somehow wins :)

·
I'm so current, I'm tomorrow.
49,309 Posts
If it happens, a tight first set then a steamroll. I love Mah-ree, but she's nowhere near her form from 3 years ago.

·
Banned
303 Posts
Seles said:
If it happens, a tight first set then a steamroll. I love Mah-ree, but she's nowhere near her form from 3 years ago.
QF
Roland Garros
June 9 2002
S Williams(3) - M Pierce-WC
6-1 6-1

QF
Indian W.
Mar 19 2000
M Pierce(5) - S Williams(3)
6-2 6-1

QF
Indian W.
Mar 14 1999
S Williams - M Pierce(6)
7-5 7-61

Chicago
Nov 9 1997
S Williams-WC - M Pierce(5)
6-3 7-63

Serena should have no problem with Mary. Serena would have to break an ankle for Mary Pierce to have a chance.

Remember when Aranxta Sanchez Vicario defeated Amanda Coetzer at Amelia Island on a broken ankle when she was at the top of her game like 8 years ago?

Mary is in no shape to win, and as soon as this tournament is over she will drop far in the rankings.

Mary would have to be in excellent shape to win. She can not hit Serena off the court or outslug her. She would win this matchup
1/10,000 times considering where these two girls are coming from.

Pierce has great talent, and she had a nice run at Charleston. However, against the top 7, she doesn't have a great shot.

What is going on with her anyways? Is she injured or happily married?

·
Registered
24,190 Posts
mary would have to be hitting one hell of a good serve and return... win a lot of points quickly. serena will get her in any rally. i don't expect her to beat serena by any means, but i look forward to possibly seeing mary try.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Guys, you have to remember that Serena has to win 2 matches first..She hasn't done anything yet..And that lose to Mauresmo really kicked her ass..Sorry to say but true..

I really hope that Mary plays her own game..Then she is dangerous to everyone...I know because I have saw it so many times...

Allez Mary!!

·
Premium Member
20,681 Posts
I love Mary but unfortunately give her 6 more months to get back to a 100% physical condition and she will b back up there beating these players again!

I doubt it though if it will b the same score as last year.. mayb mary might get a couple more games shes having a better year then last year soo far. She should have made it to the Qtrs of AO.. She had the match against Chanda and probably would have beaten Myskina

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
its sad to see such a great player down so far in the rankings her fitness can t really compete with the other girls and Im sick of her saying today just was nt my day

1 - 20 of 26 Posts