Votes: 93 91.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 8.8%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petra was the one to watch when this decade begins - winning a PM on Clay (Madrid), a GS on Grass (Wimbledon) and the Tour Finals on Indoor Hard in 2011. After the best year of her career she hang around the top 10 for 2 years winning several titles but never reached another GS final like we all expected. Then all a sudden in Wimbledon 14' she peaked out of nowhere and demolished Genie and ended her career in a 55-minute final.

When everyone thought the then only-90s-born-GS-champion would finally dominate the tour at the age of 25, it did not happen - she did win several titles but only reached 1 QF in the next 9 GS. In late 2016 Petra found her old form, winning Wuhan and Elite Trophy in Oct and Nov respectively. As we think she would have great season in 2017, tennis god was harsh on her and she got severely injured by a burglar at home during off season.

This week in St. Petersburg I think I finally see glimpses of Peak-Petra in 2011 but the question is - can she sustain 2 weeks, peak and win another GS? I do hope she does and she deserves one TBH.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I really hope that she can win another slam because she is a great player and a lovely person. She has the game and she really looks really really fit for the first time in years. But first win this title, play consistent and come back into the top 10 Petra. The tour really needs her.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
She can of course win another slam, realistically going to be Wimbledon again rather than clay or AO/USO where Heat-Ra may struggle to win 7 in a row.

We don't know how Serena will fare with comeback at 36 and of all the other top players, other than possibly Garbi, none of them have taken the opportunity to dominate on the grass. Yes, Petra might have started Genie's career to nosedive after their final, but had Serena or anyone else been the other side of the net in the 2014 F, they wouldn't have stood a chance that day.

Not that Petra fans should start getting too over excited after another good performance in a Premier tournament (talk of Wimbledon victory after Birmingham 2017 was a bit unfair and premature in just her second tournament back from the horrific injury) but as this board has discussed many times before, when Peak Petra turns up then anyone will struggle to stop her. Shame Peak Petra gave Wimbledon 2015 & 2016 a miss and 2017 was early in comeback but she's got several years to add to her collection still.

·
Registered
114,477 Posts
I think she has a chance at Wimbledon. Her game fits that surface and if she serves well, its possible

·
Registered
12,150 Posts
She always has a chance at Wimbledon. There are a lot of decent grass court players coming through the rankings, but Petra can beat all of them.

·
Registered
5,383 Posts
Can she? Most definitely. Will she? Nobody knows. She is so up and down, and staying at a high level for 2 weeks is not going to be easy for someone with such variance in her standard.

I really hope she does. Not only because I love her and her game, but also because it would be such a triumph after the attack against her.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Anyone who has any doubt that Petra can win another Slam knows nothing about tennis. The attack hasn't affected the ability of Peak Petra to show up a few times per year (as we already saw in Birmingham and at the USO). Unfortunately it's had no effect on Peak Petra only showing up a few times per year but historically she can certainly cope with Slam pressure.

·
Registered
9,376 Posts
Maybe if they make Wimbledon an indoor tournament....

Honestly, she definitely has all the 'tools' to win another one (when she's truly 'on' there are few who can stop her), but she can be so spotty that I wouldn't put my money on it. She's super affected by the weather and can't seem to maintain consistency over a longer period. Although i'm usually wrong about these things so hopefully I am again!!

I'd love to see her at least make another final. :)

·
Registered
16,449 Posts
Petra has the profile of a multi slam winner. So does Julia Gorgeous.
Wozniacki, Sloane, Schiavone, Radwanska, Cibulkova, ... would be lucky to steal one.

·
Trainwreck
58,626 Posts
Sure she can ;). I love her groundies :hearts: I just kind of wish in terms of following her I knew a little bit more what I'm going to get :p.

·
Registered
510 Posts
I am one of the only posters to vote No.

While it's not impossible, I just think physically for 7 matches it will be too difficult. Looking back at her 2011 form at Wimbledon, she could move so much better and stay in long rallies.

Reactions: Veesus Christ

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
I am one of the only posters to vote No.

While it's not impossible, I just think physically for 7 matches it will be too difficult. Looking back at her 2011 form at Wimbledon, she could move so much better and stay in long rallies.
Poor thinking, that Petra did move better in 2011, is just... For her weight, she is actually a waaaaaaaay better mover than for ex. Pliskova is..

·
Registered
510 Posts
Poor thinking, that Petra did move better in 2011, is just... For her weight, she is actually a waaaaaaaay better mover than for ex. Pliskova is..
She could rally in 2011, yes. Watch some highlights from back then, including against Sharapova. And it's not just movement - it's the physical nature of a fortnight of intense matches. I think she's too far past her prime.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
She could rally in 2011, yes. Watch some highlights from back then, including against Sharapova. And it's not just movement - it's the physical nature of a fortnight of intense matches. I think she's too far past her prime.
She can rally these days as good as she could before. It only depends, if she has "that week or two" or will not. And with Petra, nobody really knows.

·
Registered
10,631 Posts
I'm still sticking to my earlier prediction that she'll get two more, at least one of them being Wimbledon.

Wouldn't be surprised though if she ends up with just those two. Still a great career.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
It's hard to imagine Petra NOT winning at least one more Wimbledon. Her game has never been completely about her fitness. Not sure about the other majors, surfaces just seem to be getting slower. I always thought she had a good chance at RG, so much variety in her game and the clay does reward power these days.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts