Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's been such a narrative spun these last few years and so much mis information and social media spreaders. People need to understand the facts.

Many of you probably didn't even know of tennis back when Graf was playing, let alone be old enough to keep track and half of you probably weren't even born but Graf's GS record was ALWAYS seen as an Open Era record. MC's record still loomed over Steffi and aside from maybe a moronic commentator at ESPN or USA , Steffi's chase for the the Open Era over Chris and Martina but just that. It's the same way Pete went past Borg for the Open Era record but was still chasing the (then) ALL TIME record over Rod Laver and Roy Emerson. People weren't up in arms when Pete passed Bjorn but still had to go after the others......

There's no goal post moved, there's no injustice towards Serena and it definitely isn't because she's black. Just as there was none when Pete did it. Open Era and All Time have always been two mutually connected yet separate things. It's no different than a younger player have a goal to reach the Top 10, and then once that's done the goal becomes to make Number 1. The GOAL changed but the goal post is still the same. This seems to be more of a case that Serena fans can't handle the fact that there's still one more target before she can take claim. Maybe it's also a combination of Steffi being considered the GOAT of women's tennis, over Margaret, which may (for some) equate to having a GS record. As it stands Margaret has the ALL TIME record and Serena has the Open Era record. Let it rest for now and hopefully Serena will take all records in the near future.

·
Registered
37,465 Posts
A Wimbledon mixed doubles title is worth more than an Australian Open singles title from the 60s tbh, Court's record is meaningless.

·
Registered
4,453 Posts
It's just another record. Serena has many other records but there are some she will never get, such as Martina Navratilova's win streak of 74 matches or her 167 singles titles. The Court record is just something else to aim for, one that is doable, unlike the two I just mentioned.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
There's been such a narrative spun these last few years and so much mis information and social media spreaders. People need to understand the facts.

Many of you probably didn't even know of tennis back when Graf was playing, let alone be old enough to keep track and half of you probably weren't even born but Graf's GS record was ALWAYS seen as an Open Era record. MC's record still loomed over Steffi and aside from maybe a moronic commentator at ESPN or USA , Steffi's chase for the the Open Era over Chris and Martina but just that. It's the same way Pete went past Borg for the Open Era record but was still chasing the (then) ALL TIME record over Rod Laver and Roy Emerson. People weren't up in arms when Pete passed Bjorn but still had to go after the others......

There's no goal post moved, there's no injustice towards Serena and it definitely isn't because she's black. Just as there was none when Pete did it. Open Era and All Time have always been two mutually connected yet separate things. It's no different than a younger player have a goal to reach the Top 10, and then once that's done the goal becomes to make Number 1. The GOAL changed but the goal post is still the same. This seems to be more of a case that Serena fans can't handle the fact that there's still one more target before she can take claim. Maybe it's also a combination of Steffi being considered the GOAT of women's tennis, over Margaret, which may (for some) equate to having a GS record. As it stands Margaret has the ALL TIME record and Serena has the Open Era record. Let it rest for now and hopefully Serena will take all records in the near future.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
It's become a bigger deal because Court has become the biggest villain in tennis, decades after hanging up her racket.

·
Registered
39,152 Posts
While I don't think Margret Court and Serena Williams record should be compared, reality is that people are all about numbers. If they weren't so important, I'd see little reason why Serena would still practice and compete at 38 years of age if not for this specific record number. I don't think it's the love of competition alone that could have carried her so far.

Gesendet von meinem CLT-L29 mit Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,019 Posts
Serena is the only person who is determined to make Margaret Court relevant once again.

This has sadly provided Court with a wider platform for her to spew her anti-gay and trans nonsense.

Serena, everybody knows you are the GOAT, please stop worrying about 24 and make that evil witch go away.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Anything before Open Era shouldnt be considered
Why not???....

I think it's incredibly ignorant to ignore tennis history...tennis has such an old and interesting history and people seem to ignore the past greats like Wills Moody, Lenglen, Conolly etc. and only talk about the Open Era...TENNIS DID NOT START IN 1968!!!...

·
Registered
4,795 Posts
I agree tennis did not start in 68.

Margaret has one of the greatest records in tennis history (and more so if you include doubles and mixed which she played at virtually every tournament she entered - including the slams). Her total number of slam titles will NEVER be beaten no matter how many people try to move the goal posts.

Unfortunately, she is from a different era, very religious and cannot help herself when it comes to responding to media questions. She is honest about her beliefs even if it allows the media to create headlines. As she said in a radio interview the other day, the media hardly want to talk about her tennis legacy and are just there for the controversy

I hope her achievements are properly respected and honoured by the crowd at the AO in a couple of days.

I totally disagree with many of her viewpoints but appreciate the help she has given to young tennis players during her career and to this day. She has just flown a young disadvantaged African boy across to Australia to gain assistance and coaching from her tennis camps. I also appreciate the amount of charity work she has provided to people - for many many years - regardless of their race or sexuality. She is NOT the evil witch that some people try to make her out to be.

I''m sure if Roland Garros or Maureen Connolly (just for example) were still alive in this era and truthfully responded to questions about sexuality (or other modern issues), they would also upset many people and there would be calls to destroy their legacies too.

Most Jehovah's Witnesses do not support homosexuality. I wonder why Serena isn't asked about this more often and wonder if she would be honest enough to answer questions on religion. In any case I don't care - a player's religious beliefs and their tennis achievements should be considered as totally seperate things.

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
I''m sure if Roland Garros or Maureen Connolly (just for example) were still alive in this era and truthfully responded to questions about sexuality (or other modern issues), they would also upset many people and there would be calls to destroy their legacies too.
Roland Garros is not a former tennis player though. Weird comparison.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts