Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well of course it seems logically that Seles will be way up in the rankings come post-Wimby time and such. But have we forgotten that Seles has struggled the most on grass? The last time she played Wimby was 2000 where she reached the quarters.

Here are her previous results:
1999 3rd Round
1998 Quarters
1997 3rd Round
1996 2nd Round

Her best showing in the grass warm-up events since 1996 was the finals of eastbourne in 96.

I think two things will really matter in her success at Wimby, getting a nice draw and if she can keep up her fitness and stay healthy.

·
Moderator - Juniors
13,469 Posts
I think the key to Monica doing well on grass is her serve. The rest of her game isn't suited too greatly to the surface, but she still knows how to win on it, and can still beat plenty of other players on it. What she needs to do is get the serve going, which I think is an underrated part of her game sometimes. When she's in a rhythm with it, it's quite effective.

Davenport does not have the greatest movement on court, doesn't get down to the ball tremendously well, and she doesn't serve and volley, but she still gets some great results on grass (including her 99 title over Steffi) by using her big serves mixed with good placement to set up easier points for her. If Seles can get her serve working well and use it as a solid weapon aswell, then I don't see why she can't put in a strong showing at Wimbledon (probably quarter or maybe semifinal).

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Nope, although it depends on how loosely you define 'damage'.
:angel:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I think the key to Monica doing well on grass is her serve. The rest of her game isn't suited too greatly to the surface, but she still knows how to win on it, and can still beat plenty of other players on it. What she needs to do is get the serve going, which I think is an underrated part of her game sometimes. When she's in a rhythm with it, it's quite effective.
Yep that's the key, couldn't agree more. Monica has been always underestimated on grass. I hope she does some damage this year.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Well, she's not going to win Wimbledon. She couldn't do that at her best, so she's not going to do it now. She could certainly get into the 2nd week, she's too good to be discounted for that, but she's nevertheless much more vulnerable on grass than anywhere else.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
Of course she can shes more than capable of beating most of the top players on grass if she plays well enough!

·
Registered
7,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I'm thinking that everyone thinks that she can do really well in Wimby but I think she's more prone to an upset.

·
Banned
2,623 Posts
I think if she played more one-handed shots on grass, she'd have a way better chance. I've noticed that most two-handed backhand players use a one-handed slice backhand on the grass, and it works a lot better. With the low bounce of a grass surface, you need to get under the ball. It's very hard to do that with two hands on both sides. I think if Monica wants to do well on grass, she will have to change her game around for that surface.

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
In 2000, Seles reached the QF and led Lindsay Davenport by a set before her conditioning and serve began to let her down and she couldn't keep up the same level in the second and third sets.

I'd say she has as good a chance this year as she has had since 1996. I completely agree though Tennisace - if anyone is likely to get upset in Wimbledon, on her strack record, Monica is not a bad bet :(.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
It would be foolish indeed to defend Monica's record on grass. she has clearly lost all kinds of matches she should have won easily and I am not holding my breath for the day she wins Wimbledon!

However, I think her record as a grass-court player is a bit underrated.

After all, she did make the Wimbledon finals as an 18 year old, and not too many players can say the same.

She has won a grass court tournament.

She has reached the quarterfinals at Wimbledon 4 times out of the 8 times she's played, again not too many others can claim the same.

(For example, Tauziat, "great" grass-court player, has also only reached the QFs of wimby 4 times, and the finals once.)

So as Randy said if her serve is working I think she could surprise a lot of people here (though it's hard to imagine her beating Venus or Serena.)

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
20,610 Posts
Monica can do tonnes of damage on grass, her balls are hit so hard they put holes in the grass!! :eek: :p ;)

lol... just kidding.

But I think Monica can do well if the court is not too fast and the balls are not bouncing too low. If the balls are bouncing very low and fast, Monica's two handed strokes can pose a slight problem as she is a little slow as well.

·
Registered
14,818 Posts
sure she can!!!

but she's gotta make even better use of her leftie slice serve
and learn to volley much better
sometimes she should come in to net to end the point quickly rather than try to hit a few more shots and risk making UEs

·
Registered
7,125 Posts
Monica's success or failure on grass this year will be based on her two handed shots and mobility.

The good: She still has plenty of power and accuracy when she is on target.

The bad: Seles has lost a step pr two since she was a teenage terror and unless she is willing to play more shots one handed, then she will suffer running down hard shots by top players and this will wear her down later in the tournament.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts