Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Remember when Amelie lost to Srebotnik and Schiavone (if I remember well?) in the fall of 2005, in straight sets. Terrible performances that led some people to wonder if it was the beginning of the end for her.
Well we know what happened then... Philadelphia, the Masters, Aus Open, Paris, Antwerp, Wimbledon!

Do you think she's about to do the same?
Vakulenko + Stosur = Srebotnik + Schiavone? (these 2 players were much better than the way they are playing now).

Plus she usually does very well at Slams when she loses first round the tournament before the slam... Aus open (Sidney), Wimbledon (Eastbourne). Of course, this is RG.. so very different, but who knows.
She's a pretty unpredicatble player IMO. This year i see her... either losing first or 2nd round, or unexpectedly going very deep (the whole thing, i dont think so).
Your thoughts?

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I really think it can only help her to have these early losses before RG. Very little pressure. If the French transfer some of that onto Golovin, I think Mauresmo can go very, very deep. Plus, Stosur is a top 30 player. Mauresmo will have two rounds to get into form before she has to play anyone remotely that good.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Remember when Amelie lost to Srebotnik and Schiavone (if I remember well?) in the fall of 2005, in straight sets. Terrible performances that led some people to wonder if it was the beginning of the end for her.
Well we know what happened then... Philadelphia, the Masters, Aus Open, Paris, Antwerp, Wimbledon!

Do you think she's about to do the same?
Vakulenko + Stosur = Srebotnik + Schiavone? (these 2 players were much better than the way they are playing now).

Plus she usually does very well at Slams when she loses first round the tournament before the slam... Aus open (Sidney), Wimbledon (Eastbourne). Of course, this is RG.. so very different, but who knows.
She's a pretty unpredicatble player IMO. This year i see her... either losing first or 2nd round, or unexpectedly going very deep (the whole thing, i dont think so).
Your thoughts?
I absolutely agree with you, this is exactly what I think too; so nice to see someone else has the same thoughts about this! :) As you said losing first match before a 'major' is perhaps a good omen, and also means less pressure too, (I hope!). Funny that you say you think she'll lose either 'early' or 'late' at Roland Garros; this is also exactly what I thought to myself just after the match today: either first or second round (Mon dieu - I hope not) or doing unexpectedly well! (I could be wrong but even before Berlin and Rome, I had this feeling of Amélie at least equalling her best RG performance this year (i.e. QF), and maybe semi - finalist!) Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :p (we all know it's hard to predict Amélie! :lol: )

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
With Serena, Venus and Justine all healthy...as well as the emergence of the likes of jj and ana ivanovic peer chaky etc...ummmm maybe but it'll be more difficult!
:wavey: :tape:

·
She's back. Why you mad?
2,895 Posts
I think she is a little intimidated. With Serena being back, a player who has always given her trouble, and she knows she has a lot of points to defend and expectations to meet. And it is spring time in paris, ironically her worst time of year.

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Who knows with Mauresmo. When she's in form, she usually stays a pretty consistent player for a while. But after coming back from an injury, she's not a player that can just bounce back like a Clijsters or Davenport. She usually has a few bad losses. But then she unexpectedly does well in a big tournament and gets her form back quickly. Like I said, who knows with her.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I absolutely agree with you, this is exactly what I think too; so nice to see someone else has the same thoughts about this! :) As you said losing first match before a 'major' is perhaps a good omen, and also means less pressure too, (I hope!). Funny that you say you think she'll lose either 'early' or 'late' at Roland Garros; this is also exactly what I thought to myself just after the match today: either first or second round (Mon dieu - I hope not) or doing unexpectedly well! (I could be wrong but even before Berlin and Rome, I had this feeling of Amélie at least equalling her best RG performance this year (i.e. QF), and maybe semi - finalist!) Oh well, I guess we'll just have to wait and see :p (we all know it's hard to predict Amélie! :lol: )
I had the same feeling... weird ;) I hope we're right!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
We can only wait and see! You never no with the top players. Saying this Amelie will probably just tip toe to the 4th round RG and then if she is playing well with no pressure (doubt she will feel like this in her home country) Who knows.. Best of Luck Amelie. : )

·
Registered
84,762 Posts
Although I'm not a Mauresmo fan,I think she could make surprises by reaching the semis for the first time in her career!and maybe into the final!!!:eek:
:angel:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
i dont think she'll go far this years RG
im sure she'll be back to her old self by maybe by wimbledon but especially at RG where she gets nervous and with serena vanu jj ivanovic peer etc....she doesnt have much of a chance IMO

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
no...not anymore.............a lot of future greats that have arrived already......along with Williams & Henin

·
Banned
540 Posts
i dont think she'll go far this years RG
im sure she'll be back to her old self by maybe by wimbledon but especially at RG where she gets nervous and with serena vanu jj ivanovic peer etc....she doesnt have much of a chance IMO
So Justine's not a threat then? :spit: :rolleyes: :tape:

Amazing that you didn't put her name on your list of players. :confused:

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
i was about to say that it's different now.
but not really, it's still a mental thing, albeit a search for confidence rather than belief.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
You never know with Amelie she is very unpredictable. She can catch a fire as she did at Wimbledon last year or she can lose early like she did at the Australian Open this year. The thing with Amelie is you never know. The question I have is she satisfied? She always never wanted to go down as a one slam wonder and she won't. Amelie lived up to her potential she reached no.1 in the world and won two slams. The question is can she win more? Or is this it for her?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts