Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Providing she performs well this week possibly semis, and Jankovic loses before quaters she will be top 5 highest ranking since come back.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Hingis plays consistently enough that her ranking is not an issue. She will remain top 10 or better. At this point it is all about the big tournaments.

She worked so hard to earn a high ranking and avoid the top players early in draws... and now she just loses to crap players early in draws instead :help:

·
Registered
25,370 Posts
well she has a better chance now kim has hung up her racket she needs a big win again to boost the confidence!

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
It took a whole three posts before Derek showed up in a Hingis thread? She's playing so poorly even her haters are losing interest :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,074 Posts
Hasn't played since Miami so I hope she is eager to be out there again and is a little more aggressive than we last seen her.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Some people said she played really well in her exhibition match against Wozniacki,she 'gave' her the second set and then,in the third,she ruled,playing great angles etc. So I hope she's in UP form now :)

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Some people said she played really well in her exhibition match against Wozniacki,she 'gave' her the second set and then,in the third,she ruled,playing great angles etc. So I hope she's in UP form now :)
That's against a 16 year-old who is obviously not top 5 material yet. :lol:

·
Registered
19,960 Posts
kim is (supposedly) out, so she will probably fall out of the top ten after rg, kuzy will be top 4 most likely, so jankovic is the player to beat cause she is next to martina in rankings, she is in every tournament adding some points to her ranking, martina has to defend her rome and rg points, so if she does what her ranking says in berlin, reaching the semis, and defend some points at rome and rg (which is very doable if she is in another form than recently) she may have a chance to be high enough for that top 5 slot, that if jankovic dont stop her,

·
it's just me against the music.
27,329 Posts
It's going to be tough. With Kim out, Jelena and Martina will be fighting for # 5. And Martina has Rome champion points and a QF at Roland Garros while Jankovic has minimal points. Should be close.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
No. :)

·
Registered
8,694 Posts
:lol:

Hasn't she already? 209 weeks at #1 counts as in the Top 5 right??!

ANYWAY...Of course she can do it again, she's almost there now. She has to play better, that's obvious, but she is completely capable of it.

Reactions: go hingis

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Yes. :)

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
It's going to be tough. With Kim out, Jelena and Martina will be fighting for # 5. And Martina has Rome champion points and a QF at Roland Garros while Jankovic has minimal points. Should be close.
Actually Jelena has QF points in Rome and SF in Strasbourg I think? But minimal at RG, whereas Martina has QF's at RG. I think Kim falls out after RG and Jankovic goes to 5, with Martina at 6...unless Martina can somehow outdo her performances on clay from last year and outpace Jankovic.

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
Yes, the Title should read "Can Martina reach Top 5 again?" because she has already reached this plateau in her career already.

In her current form - No.

But can she do it? - Yes. Just a matter of getting her game together. She has some big points to defend though.

·
Registered
18,941 Posts
Actually Jelena has QF points in Rome and SF in Strasbourg I think? But minimal at RG, whereas Martina has QF's at RG. I think Kim falls out after RG and Jankovic goes to 5, with Martina at 6...unless Martina can somehow outdo her performances on clay from last year and outpace Jankovic.
Yes, Jelena lost to Venus in Rome.

In Strasbourg she lost to Nicole Vaidisova.

In RG she lost in R3 to Mauresmo.

So it's not all easy for Jelena, she kind of does have points to defend starting at Rome.

·
Registered
6,185 Posts
Yes, of course Martina CAN do it. She's easily talented enough to be a top 5 player. WILL she do it is another story.

Personally, I think she will. I think she'll surprise us with her clay season....and I mean surprise us in a GOOD way :p

1 - 20 of 24 Posts