Tennis Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
villa said:
Yeah but who gave venus much of a chance to reah the final in 97? her results were not that impressive going into the slam- however everyone knew she had the weapons to reach it and beat the players in her way- maria is the same, the serve is there, the groundstrokes, the movement isn't great but decent enough and has found the accuracy...

People don't dismiss pascal- she's probably a raw power players worst nightmere since she doesn't give you any pace to feed on and you have to generate your own- maria passed with flying colours..
May well be true, but Venus´s game screamed hardcourt and Maria´s doesn´t. Maria just plays the russian game, but there are plenty of people who can do it better...

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
bandabou said:
May well be true, but Venus´s game screamed hardcourt and Maria´s doesn´t. Maria just plays the russian game, but there are plenty of people who can do it better...
Hvae u seen maria play?- her game aint russina at all ( diemnetieva/myskina) she hit 25 winners and 21 unforced errors yesterday- thats a williams stat..going for the winner at nearly every oppurtunity not waiting for your opponents errors...

·
Registered
6,321 Posts
Without my fave there, I'm just looking for good tennis. Can Maria go all the way?? We'll see. Even though I think it's way premature to count out Capriati against anyone. She still moves really well and when that forehand is working, wow.
But, I want to see the NEW teenage phenom do well, so DAVAI Maria!!!!

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
villa said:
Hvae u seen maria play?- her game aint russina at all ( diemnetieva/myskina) she hit 25 winners and 21 unforced errors yesterday- thats a williams stat..going for the winner at nearly every oppurtunity not waiting for your opponents errors...
Yeah, I saw her play yesterday. She had a killer backhand....I still think her serve needs some work to win against the elite. In ´97 Venus already had that huge serve..

·
Registered
17,358 Posts
I don't mean to rain on everyones parade about a potential Sharapova-Capriati third round match. But they both have to win their second round matches before they play. And while I'm sure Capriati will win her match. I'm far less certain about Sharapova. Maria plays the talented and crafty Emelie Loit. And Loit nearly upset Serena Williams in the first round of this years Australian Open. So she is good. Very good. And she nearly ruined Serena's bid for the Serena Slam. :eek: Maria is not used to playing against talented and crafty lefthanders such as Loit. This will be a very tough match for Maria to win.

Udachi Maria! :bounce:

·
Banned
86 Posts
I can see the Maria-Venus 97 comparison... but there's one big difference.

The only top 10 player Venus beat was Anke Huber... who was playing well coming into US Open, but wasn't a true threat to win the title.

Maria will have to beat Capriati, who is playing very well right now. Big difference.

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
You're intrepid reporter asked for an opinion of Sharky from Irina Spirlea and got this reply: "She thinks she's the fucking Venus Williams". :devil:

21 - 29 of 29 Posts