Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She reminds me soo much of venus in 97 with her raw power and game however she's winning alot easier- 6-1 6-1.... :eek:
She has jen in her section soo its hard to see her getting beyound the third round- however she defenently has the weapons to make a run such as this- not sure wheather she has mental strenth required to this but she has a chance if plays to her abilities...

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
we will never know. These questions are so silly because there is no way to no. Is this maria's first us open? well venus made it to the final in her first open. Lets see if maria does the same.

GO MARIA lil vee SHARAPOVA!

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
Definatel Maria will be Jennifer. I mean Maria has the big guns and the better serve. She mover really well and will have jenn runnin all over the court

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
She will win if she doesn't let her nerves affect her like she did when she lost to kim. She had kim on the ropes then just lost her focus.

·
Banned
6,350 Posts
Maria will beat Jennifer no question about it!

·
Banned
596 Posts
if she does beat Jennifer,
then i think we can award the Most Impressive
Newcomer of the year to Maria next week,
too bad Ashley:)

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Maria can either go down the road of Venus or Daniela...
I don't think she is ready to go down the road of Venus... Venus was also very mentally though, while we don't know really about Maria... Remember Venus beating Spirlea at the Us Open semis, she was two match points down, and was fearless, nerveless, confident...
We'll see.
However I'll be cheering for Jen all the way through this Open, and for Linds also...
go get em

·
Registered
19,165 Posts
Was I the only one who was jumping and screaming for joy like Venus was when she beat Spirlea in that semifinal? I still get excited watching that match! :D

·
Banned
3,751 Posts
Well, that's the question we are wondering... but... Sharapova teamed with Davenport this summer at the WTT. Davenport met Maria personally for the first time and was very impressed with Maria's game. I read an article somewhere but it says... (I don't know if anyone has read too)

"Maria will be very hard to beat in 2 years." Lindsay said.

Give her time. She is experiencing the challenges right now.

The biggest drama would be the match between Capriati and Sharapova cuz Capriati might complain Maria's grunts like she did to Monica. I am sure they would put Jen and Maria on the Center Court at night this Sat. We all can watch them on TV for sure since Jen is Amercian.

·
Registered
547 Posts
i'm amazed at everyone just counting out Jen like she is nothing, she has won 3 slams and is playing some of her best tennis in years. I don't think maria will beat her like everyone thinks, and if she does i'm sure it will be very close.

·
Registered
7,274 Posts
hingis-seles said:
Was I the only one who was jumping and screaming for joy like Venus was when she beat Spirlea in that semifinal? I still get excited watching that match! :D
Yes that match was an instant classic!

And yes jen will complain if maria screeches but how will maria react?

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
Kart said:
Maria Sharapova is no Venus Williams.
that's right she is maria sharapova the one and only!

·
Registered
47,534 Posts
Come on, guys. Maria is good and all, but she still has a long way to go before she becomes the next Venus at this Open... to beat Ruano Pascal is one thing, to beat a Jennifer Capriati is another!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
bandabou said:
Come on, guys. Maria is good and all, but she still has a long way to go before she becomes the next Venus at this Open... to beat Ruano Pascal is one thing, to beat a Jennifer Capriati is another!

Yeah but who gave venus much of a chance to reah the final in 97? her results were not that impressive going into the slam- however everyone knew she had the weapons to reach it and beat the players in her way- maria is the same, the serve is there, the groundstrokes, the movement isn't great but decent enough and has found the accuracy...

People don't dismiss pascal- she's probably a raw power players worst nightmere since she doesn't give you any pace to feed on and you have to generate your own- maria passed with flying colours..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts