Tennis Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I very much want JenCap to take her rightful place as the season ending number 1. But I was wondering if anyone knew if Lindsay could end up in the top spot.

I am not sure if this is correct, but I think Lindsay cannot overtake Jen because of the fact that the WTA got rid of the Philadelphia tourney this year. Lindsay won it last year over Martina and will lose a lot of points from it this week. Is this right?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Yes, Lindsay certainly has a mathematical possibility of getting to #1. With Philadelphia and last year's Chase removed from the rankings, Capriati starts this week with 4861 points and Davenport with 4555, so if Capriati doesn't progress beyond the QF's and Davenport wins, then Davenport will be #1, I think.

I haven't really done the calculations though round by round, so does anyone know if it's possible if Davenport can still overtake with Capriati reaching the semi finals?

·
Adrenaline junkie
23,053 Posts
The math is simple, Davenport has to make two more rounds in Munich than Capriati to take over #1. Capriati has to make it one round more than Davenport to prevent Davenport for briefly taking over #1 it after next week. There is, however, an improbable possibility that one of them plays Pattaya..

1 - 3 of 3 Posts