Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is how we stand:

Iva Majoli : She has struggled all year, but started finding her range just before FED Cup. She just played her best set of tennis for the year today, losing only 5 points to Cho.

Karolina Sprem : (not like I'm about to say anything new) She started off the year 28-0 in Challengers. She took a set off Myskina and beat Likhovtseva in FED Cup. She just had her best week ever, making the finals of Strausbourg and beating Dokic and Zvonareva before falling in 3 tight sets to Farina Elia. Her ranking has gone from 272 in January to 99.

Silvija Talaja : She's been plagued by injuries, but, when she's healthy, she does well. I saw her play in Miami where she played an excellent match vs. Likhovtseva, but got injured and lost in a tight third set.

Jelena Kostanic : She's not a candidate for a top30 spot because she lacks a big weapon, but she has had some good results this year at big tournaments and is in the second round this week.

Mirjana Lucic : She has talent, but isn't showing. She has to play challengers.

Ivana Lisjak : At 16, she recently made the final of a 25K, losing in a third set tiebreak. She qualified for the tournament in Madrid, beating Llagostera, Cargill, and Craybas before falling 6-7(5) 1-6 to Rubin.

Ivana Abramovic : Qualified for 2 main draws and had some good challenger results, including a few finals. This is her first season on tour.

Petra Dizdar : She was injured for the entire season and played through her injury to qualify for Bol, but lost to her best friend Zvonareva in the first round.

Darija Jurak : She is having a good run in the challengers, making the finals in the last two she has played. She lost 2-6 3-6 to Nagyova in Bol.

Lucija Krzelj : She won a challenger in Biograd yesterday and is on a 21-2 in challengers.

Matea Mezak : She was one of the best juniors in the world. She recently made a final in a challenger in Italy and won a challenger in Tipton.

Sanja Ancic/Nadja Pavic : Both a having a great year in juniors! Matea recently won a Grade 1 tournament and is now in the top50 - she is only 14.

·
Registered
31 Posts
do you know the status of Jelena Pandzic-noticed she had some good wins in the German league-topalova and vaskova-but has only played one tourn all year.

·
Registered
10,254 Posts
Jelena Pandzic is injured:sad:

croat123,you forgot:Vrljic and Ozegovic

·
Registered
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, jelena p. is injured :sad: she is a great talent though!

oh yeah, ivana vrljic and nika ozegovic have both just come out of juniors and have had solid results in challengers. i think nika is the bigger talent of the two, but they should both be top100.

just imagine if mirjana lucic were to come back into wimbey 99 form!

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
uh probably never

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
I definitely like Sprem for Top 20, not sure about Top 10. To slightly change subjects, I'd like 2C a unified Balkans tennis program with a world class training facility based on pooled resources. The players are basically friends NEway, like when Matea and Jelena II teamed in dubs @ the '01 USO Jr's. Whaddya think?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
Sprem to me seems like the most likely, but even she isn't a shoe-in...To get into the top ten these days takes a lot of work, talent, and points falling in the right place...

·
Registered
8,950 Posts
majoli has no chance imo.

lucic has the talent but isn't showing it.

sprem i haven't seen but her results look like she is quite mentally tough which is needed at the top of the game.

lisjak i haven't seen either but i'm hoping that her recent results as a young 16 year old mean something.

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
I think Sprem should be in the top 50 by the end of the year judging by her results so far this year. She's been playing very well. But I think it would be very hard for her to crack into the top 10!

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
I see top 30 if not higher for Sprem before this year is out ;)

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
majoli won't be able to enter top 10 LMAO.... i doubt sprem can do it and do not think she'll be able to make it next year judging just by how well she performed recently...

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,996 Posts
Rtael said:
I see top 30 if not higher for Sprem before this year is out ;)

Unfortunately I was wrong. :sad:

·
Registered
11,716 Posts
iva and mirjana obviously have the ability, but are struggling to put it into play

i say sprem could be top 20 one day, dont think top 10 though

·
Registered
24,822 Posts
no thats too early

Jurak, Lisjak, Krzelj and Mamic are very good. Maybe top 30 once in 2 years or something

Sprem maybe top 10 but currently the top 15 are one class highe than the rest

Ozegovic, Vrljic and Pavic may reach top 100

no idea about Mezak, she is injured :confused:

Abramovic will never reach the top 100 as she has no weapons

Kostanic plays 2 or 3 good tournaments a year thats too less

no commet on Lucic

but many good juniors

·
Registered
427 Posts
I don't think Sprem would make top 10 in 2004. I could see her having a year like Vera Z or Nadya did in 2003 & finish in the teens. That would be VERY GOOD from where she is now.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
maybe sprem

·
Registered
32,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow! a thread from the graveyard

sprem is 59th now, she could get into at least the top30 before she has to defend some points..

iva is out til february

jelena had a good run at the end of the year, i think this could be a good year for her

silvija is struggling (and that's an understatement)

ivana lisjak only played one challenger for the rest of the year (50K) and made the semis, so she is doing ok, just has to play more

xian is right about ivana abramovic. she doesn't have any weapons, she just pushes the ball back.

sanda mamic is playing well now, hopefully she can break into the top100 this year along with darija jurak...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts