Tennis Forum banner

Are Chanda's days as a top 10 player numbered?

• no, she still has plenty of great tennis left in her to carry her back to the top 10

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • yes, she's getting older now and she can't compete anymore with the top players.

Votes: 12 57.1%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
27,846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well I think she can. She did well to beat Barbara Schwartz in the Fed Cup last weekend, especially when she wasted a 40-0 5-1 2nd set lead after winning the first set :eek: :eek: :eek: :lick: :lol: ( ooh Chanda, if you had lost THAT match after that lead.... :p ), she has shown her mental toughness that being a top 10 player requires.Of course, then she lost shockingly easily to Schett in her other Fed Cup match in straight sets so it is hard to know yet for sure how Chanda is really playing. lol typical Chanda, she has always been very unpredictable. :lol: anyway, i'm feeling that she'll be back in the top 10 by at least right after the Aus.Open next year. what does everyone else think??

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
i know you're a great chanda fan but i have to say that this thread is not a good idea. lots of people like her, but very few people really believe in chanda on this board from my experience, and many have written her off on many occasions and will once again now i expect.

of course i believe she will be back. she still can play at the level of many of top 10 and next year she will have hardly any points to defend.

·
Registered
11,118 Posts
V-MAC said:
well I think she can. She did well to beat Barbara Schwartz in the Fed Cup last weekend, especially when she wasted a 40-0 5-1 2nd set lead after winning the first set :eek: :eek: :eek: :lick: :lol: ( ooh Chanda, if you had lost THAT match after that lead.... :p ), she has shown her mental toughness that being a top 10 player requires.Of course, then she lost shockingly easily to Schett in her other Fed Cup match in straight sets so it is hard to know yet for sure how Chanda is really playing. lol typical Chanda, she has always been very unpredictable. :lol: anyway, i'm feeling that she'll be back in the top 10 by at least right after the Aus.Open next year. what does everyone else think??
Beating Schwartz isn't huge. At Wimbledon she lost to Bartoli after leading 5-0 in the first set, that's not really showing mental toughness. She's ranked 24 now, and still has 795 points to defend through year end. She won't qualify for the YEC, and she has 164 to defend there. She has a real chance of actually falling out of the top 30 this year.

All that being said, if she can start playing like she was playing when she left, she could get back to top 15 again at least. But she probably couldn't do this until after Tokyo next year. She has a QF to defend, 4r at Aus, then SF in Tokyo. After that, providing she's playing well, she could start climbing back. But, she is getting older, and time is running out for her to rebound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
It really is a question of whether or not her body will hold up. She no doubt has the game but she needs to stay healthy for more than a few tournaments in a row.

·
Registered
6,896 Posts
Chanda Rubin is one of the most respected people in tennis and rightly so, but she is finished as a Top 10 (imo, even Top 20) player. Her level doesn't match up to the Russians and the other leading players on tour. She's 28 y.o., she started her career very young, she has many injury issues, and it'll be a big surprise if two years from now she isn't fully retired. Rubin should commentate, she has a great voice for that.

·
Banned
4,117 Posts
I have no idea but I hope so.

·
Premium Member
8,187 Posts
I don't see it.

·
Banned
959 Posts
She wont. She is still top 20 material I believe if she is completely recovered. However she cant compete with the Russians anymore. And she is too "old" to be chasing after points, I dont even think she is going to play 20 tournaments by the end of the year. So nope. But she had a nice career though getting Tier II's and beating top players. Good luck in her future:).

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Chanda has come back strong from serious injuries so many times in her career. I have no doubt she can do it again. When she left, she was playing at least at a top 15 level (beating Amelie at the YEC, pushing Justine to 3 at Sydney). I'm not sure about top 10 because of the increased depth at the top recently, but I think Chanda should be able to make the top 20 again fairly comfortably. If she is consistent (huge if for her), I think she still has it in her to be top 10, assuming the body holds up. Get healthy and kick some ass, Chanda! :kiss:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts