Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
past and present, does any player have as much fight or more fight than serena? obviously, serena's physical abilities help her out that if everything is going wrong, her fight can win matches. just on level of intensity, who in the past or present can compete?

·
Registered
8,916 Posts
i don't think so.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
from this generation, i was thinking justine. but shes lacking something intangible. serena knows shes the best, but what does justine know?

from the past i was thinking, aranxta actually. she may not have been as popular seles or graf, but she fought like hell. and the barcelona bumblebee did her own share of fist pumps and vamos!

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
No, Serena is the greatest fighter in the known universe. No human has ever come close, and I very much doubt that anyone ever will...

:wavey:

Reactions: Dunlop1

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What Serena and Monica have in common is a certain calm but intense concentration between points, punctuated by an absolutely explosive "gimme the ball!" approach during points. :cool:

·
Registered
18,514 Posts
Shahar fights like Serena. That's why she plays Serena well. Serena is just much much much more talented. The fact that Shahar is top 15 at all is testiment to her fighting spirit. With just an average fight, she'd be hovering in the 30's.

Monica Seles fought like Serena. Chris Evert had the tenacity of Serena, but was not as in your face about it. Sharapova has the "in your face" part, but not the complete assurance in herself. Serena doesn't choke away matches. period. Sharapova does often now. Justine has the same fight, but not against Serena, for whatever reason.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
I think there could be players who have more fight (like Pratt or someone) but just don't have anywhere near the ability of Serena. When she isn't injured or out of practice she has amazing ability to find her game when she needs it. I mean we saw for with her limited play in 2005-2006 that she didn't have much fight because her form was just so much below it's usual level and she couldn't step it up when she needed to.

Certainly i'd say no player has ever had the ability to turn their game around in a crisis like a top of her game Serena does.

·
Registered
6,571 Posts
As folks have said, you've got to look at the lesser talents for possibly greater fight than Serena. Otherwise, they'd likely remain off the radar.

But among the top players since the Open era, Serena pretty much takes the crown for her ability to win against her contemporaries with her B/B- game. Now, I've seen Steffi claw her way out of a deficit many a time. But that usually involves her straightening out her game considerably, settling down and playing close to form by the 3rd set. It became a pattern with her. Serena has won many a big match with no real rhythm developed in her strokes or serves: fighting herself, fighting the court, fighting the ball, clawing till the last point....just drama.

Reactions: Dunlop1

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
I don't think so. Graf, Seles and some others had tremendous fight but I think Serena ranks top.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I would agree with Switz, i think there are players with more fight. Arantxa, Coezter come to mind. They just wouldn't stop, but they don't have near the ability of Serena. But Serena is def one of the best fighters ever.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
It's true that someone like Evert was also an incredible fighter. But she fought with less outward means: her refusal to miss a ball, to show a hint of mental instability, digging in with cool resolve and mind-boggling consistency. Must have driven her opponents insane.

I suppose it's hard to separate playing style and the impression of "fight". Hingis, a finesse player, has displayed great fight in some matches, but it doesn't look as aggressive, since she is using different means to fight her way to victory.

·
Banned
4,328 Posts
serena is the best her mental strength is unparalled,she is stone cold and really ruthless.she plays like she is in a trance and her focus is phenomenal.
i remember 2002 when she was dominant she never lost her intensity point by point even against venus.i think the only time she lost was to chanda in los angeles when she started struggling with the knee.
i remember how she used to beat momo again and again with no remorse.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Shahar fights like Serena. That's why she plays Serena well. Serena is just much much much more talented. The fact that Shahar is top 15 at all is testiment to her fighting spirit. With just an average fight, she'd be hovering in the 30's.

Monica Seles fought like Serena. Chris Evert had the tenacity of Serena, but was not as in your face about it. Sharapova has the "in your face" part, but not the complete assurance in herself. Serena doesn't choke away matches. period. Sharapova does often now. Justine has the same fight, but not against Serena, for whatever reason.
I agree with mostly everything you said, But, Justine doesn't have the same fight against Serena.....?!!:lol: Though she is slightly at the mercy of a REAL big hitter on a hardcourt, when they're playing well, by no stretch of the imagination is Justine less competitive, when playing Serena :wavey:

·
Registered
10,890 Posts
There's no aspect of Serena that can be matched by anyone. She has the best knife volleys of anyone...she can play lefty...she could beat Roger Federer at his peak...she could solve world hunger this minute if she really wanted to...

1 - 20 of 60 Posts