Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
28,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the next 4 months off from school, aside from this one lame distance education course. So I want to read a lot to avoid letting my brain go to waste ;) I have a number of works I want to read by particular psychologists, but I want something else.

So I started reading "The Beauty Myth" by Naomi Wolf. I'm only about 40 pages in so far, but if nothing else, I've found it pretty thought provoking. I'll be done it by the weeks end if I'm not too lazy, and was wondering if anybody could reccomend anything else along these lines? Or something different but interesting would be welcome as well ;)

Thanks...anybody! :)

btw... it doesn't have to be a female author... just anything along the same subject lines would be great.

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
Rebecca, I read 4 or 5 Alice Walker books. Meridian is a good one and The Color Purple is great and starts off with a bang. It's much better than the movie which is still great but got sugarcoated.

Ann Rice is good too but some of her stuff is gorey and she gets carried away desrcibing anything.

Her books are always 1,000 pages. But I met her and she was really nice. She said I had a nice name and asked me if I read her books and I told her I read some of the witch books and the first 3 vampire books and I also read "Servant of the Bones" which was good too.

She had an autograph signing and a friend and I were going to dress up like vampires and go but it was 100 degrees. :(

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Virginia Woolf is a good start. :) If I were you I'd try Jane Austen and the Bronte sisters as well. "Head and Dust" by Ruth Prawer Jhabvala is a personal favorite of mine, not really feminist, but from womens' perspectives nonetheless.

Maybe also if you want to read some biographies, try finding some books on Queen Elizabeth I. She's meant to be a feminist icon. ;)

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
anton said:
Rebecca, I read 4 or 5 Alice Walker books. Meridian is a good one and The Color Purple is great and starts off with a bang. It's much better than the movie which is still great but got sugarcoated.
That's what everybody who's read the book tell me too. But then again you know what they say about adaptations... ;) I haven't read 'The Color Purple' and quite frankly I just can't be bothered. I've seen the movie numerous times and I can't read the book whilst being aware of everything that's going to happen.

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
sam the book is different from the movie.

the movie is like a remake of a classic song.

also the book is very easy to read since it is a series of letter that start off "Dear God" that are written by someone with not the best education so there are not too many big words.

the movie is great and i love Orpah Winfrey in it. I also love the scene where Shhug is singing and leads the people back to church singing "Maybe God is Trying to tell you something" (which is not in the book)

·
Banned
47 Posts
It depends what you mean by 'feminist'...are you talking fiction or non-fiction.

If it's fiction, then definitely Virginia Woolf, esp. Mrs Dolloway and Orlando. Jane Austen is very good - everyone should read her stuff - although a lot of people think she's just light-weight romantic comedies, she much more than that. It's just really subtle.

I like Penelope Fitzgerald a lot (I got my username from one of her books) but I don't know if I'd call her a feminist author. Same goes for AS Byatt.

If you want to read real feminist work, go for the originals: Mary Wollestonecraft, Simone de Beauvoir, Germaine Greer. Also Andrea Dworkin if you fancy a laugh.

I'd especially recommend Janet Radcliffe Richards 'The Sceptical Feminist'...that's a really good book.

Don't even think about reading any Elizabeth Wurtz.

·
Banned
47 Posts
You shouldn't think an author is any good just because they had a nervous breakdown or topped themselves...Sylvia Plath is way overrated imho.

I've never read any Zelda Fitzgerald, though I plan to. I like F. Scott Fitzgerald a lot, but he was a bit of a git, apparently.

·
Banned
47 Posts
Git is just a polite word for bastard or arsehole. F. Scott was a prude who had Zelda put in a mental hospital because she liked sex. He also stopped her novels being published till after their deaths.

Forgot to mention Iris Murdoch...her early stuff is the best.

·
Banned
7,804 Posts
chiara_ridolfi said:
Git is just a polite word for bastard or arsehole. F. Scott was a prude who had Zelda put in a mental hospital because she liked sex. He also stopped her novels being published till after their deaths.

Forgot to mention Iris Murdoch...her early stuff is the best.
where are you getting the f scott info from?
i knew zelda was in a mental place but did not know the reason.

The Great Gatsby is good but some of the subject matter sucks like "beat them down" and the couple cheating on each other with no appearent remorse

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
anton said:
The Great Gatsby is good but some of the subject matter sucks like "beat them down" and the couple cheating on each other with no appearent remorse
'The Great Gatsby'? How is that feminist? Or are you just recommending random good books?

BTW thanks for telling me about 'The Color Purple'. I knew it was her writing to God, but I didn't know it was in a series of letters. If you like that form of 'fiction', try reading 'Bram Stoker's Dracula' if you haven't done so. It's one of my favorites as it's just a series letters/diary entries by the main characters and you have to piece together the story. :)

·
Banned
8,642 Posts
Becca- do a search on bell hooks- i have read a few of her books and articles...some of her works deal specifically with race & gender but it isn't exclusive to blacks and it might be nice for you to read that type of perspective. She is scholary work, its not light reading or fiction...

Virginia Woolfe is good as far as fiction goes

Try Sylvia Plath's- Bell Jar-.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Anything by Germaine Greer - she's witty and incisive. Simone de Beauvoir's 'Second Sex' is a key book, too. Julie Burchill is an English journalist who is pretty feminist, very controversial, and - in the best possible way - a complete bitch. She's also a personal heroine... you can either buy her book of columns, or read them here:

http://website.lineone.net/~jon.simmons/julie/

That website also includes the funniest ever correspondence with Camille Paglia, who is a feminist you shouldn't read.

Catharine MacKinnon and Andrea Dworkin are good for a laugh. Silly bints.

·
double-dog daredevil
12,044 Posts
Seconds the bell hooks recommendation.

You might also look for Barbara Ehrenreich's "The Hearts of Men" - it's a feminist perspective on then way men get screwed in patriarchy, too.

Also, "Home Girls: A Black Feminist Anthology" edited by Barbara Smith - good mix of theory and fiction (some GREAT fiction)

Anything by Audre Lorde

1 - 20 of 41 Posts