Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think WTA has been left behind by ATP in terms of popularity this season.

There are lots of interesting stories on ATP like Nadal's claycourt record, Federer's grass record, their rivalry, Roddick's struggle etc.

On the woman's side not much happened except Martina's comeback.

Do you think any rivalry among 2 WTA players pass the Federer-Nadal rivalry in terms of popularity?

·
Registered
47,688 Posts
I wouldn't call Federer and Nadal a rivalry. I think there are some rivalries on the women's side who are already much more interesting.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
not much a rivalry, if federer constantly loses.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
I think the trio of Serena, Justine and Maria has great potential for interesting rivalries. All of them are strong characters, all have some kind of history between them and their matches tend to be exciting. Too bad they never seem to play at the same time.

·
Registered
25,015 Posts
Like Federer said about his H2H with Roddick. It's not a rivalry until the other player wins some too. :tape:

It's no rivalry, it's just that Federer is Nadal's bitch. :shrug:

Serena/Maria
Serena/Jennifer
Lindsay/Venus
Venus/Serena
Venus/Martina
Lindsay/Martina

All of those are good.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Jedem said:
Like Federer said about his H2H with Roddick. It's not a rivalry until the other player wins some too. :tape:

It's no rivalry, it's just that Federer is Nadal's bitch. :shrug:

Serena/Maria
Serena/Jennifer
Lindsay/Venus
Venus/Serena
Venus/Martina
Lindsay/Martina

All of those are good.
There is something you don't consider.

Federer can reach later rounds on Nadal's best service so they have a matchup on clay and Federer loses... but Nadal can't reach later rounds in Federer's best surface (grass) so we see no matchups on clay that can make H2H more balanced.

·
Registered
24,237 Posts
i feel like there are a lot of compelling rivalries at the top of women's tennis.

nadal will always have a favorable head to head against federer if he never reaches a final on grass or an american hardcourt. the only times they play is when nadal is on his best form and federer's worst.

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
:lol: no

:lol: at the suggestion it's not a rivalry. 5 matches played on clay - all very competitive. Rome final was probably the best match tennis has seen for a decade. Put 5 matches on grass there head to head would be even. And then on hard it's a huge rivalry again.

Women's tennis has nothing on it except prettier outfits (some might say).

Sorry to sound like a chauvanist pig but it's true :)

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I think the ATP is too predictable.

On hard courts, grass courts, indoors courts ... Federer always wins.
On clay courts, Nadal always wins.

Should Nadal actually have a good week on hard courts or grass, he beats Federer, but off clay they are move even. I think its 2-1 Nadal. On clay, Nadal leads like 4-0. So, that has a lot to do with it.

I think right now the WTA is very unpredictable. Anyone in the top 10 can win a title any given week. On clay you favor JHH and Mauresmo (outside Paris of course). On grass you favor Venus and Sharapova (Davenport and Serena). On hard courts though, I think it's any one's game. Given the fact that since the start of 2004 its been so wide spread at the majors is proof of this.

JHH - Myskina - Sharapova - Kuznetsova - Serena - JHH - Venus - Clijsters - Mauresmo - JHH

Only JHH is the repeat champ, and twice on clay. Its anyone's game, which makes it exciting to watch.

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Federer/Nadal does qualify as a rivalry...but certainly not a classic rivalry...yet.

There are many more interesting rivalries on the women's side already. I think the Venus/Hingis/Davenport rivalry is captivating...and has had new life breathed into it with the return of Martina to the scene.

I think Serena/Henin/Clijsters have a nice rivalry going too. Sharapova and Mauresmo have started to get into that mix.

The women's game is SOOOO deep right now. For years this is what we wished for. Slam finals with different women in them each time. For years we had to see #1 vs. #2 in the final with #1 winning almost every tournament. It's much more interesting having rivalries made up of more than two women.

SF

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
tennisIlove09 said:
Only JHH is the repeat champ, and twice on clay. Its anyone's game, which makes it exciting to watch.
the WTA tour is a comedy of errors and injuries. Whoever makes the least and stays fit long enough wins.

·
Registered
13,084 Posts
switz said:

:lol: at the suggestion it's not a rivalry. 5 matches played on clay - all very competitive. Rome final was probably the best match tennis has seen for a decade. Put 5 matches on grass there head to head would be even. And then on hard it's a huge rivalry again.

The Rome final was exciting, but the RG final was crap. I agree their rivalry is by far the best in tennis right now, but Roger better step it up because it's looking increasingly less like a rivalry and more like a domination.

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
7,224 Posts
switz said:

Uh, Venus and Martina already have a great rivalry and it is one that has been longer than Federer and Nadal. Think about it. We only start hearing their names within the last two years. I've been seeing women like
Davenport
Serena
Venus
Hinigis
and Capriati battling it out since 1998. Federer and Nadal only began 2004 at the earliest. Good rivalry, but not as interesting as the Women.....sorry!

·
Registered
11,058 Posts
Joana said:
The Rome final was exciting, but the RG final was crap. I agree their rivalry is by far the best in tennis right now, but Roger better step it up because it's looking increasingly less like a rivalry and more like a domination.
yes but as i said it's very lopesided because 5 of their 7 matches have been on clay which is of huge advantage to Nadal. Rafa hasn't gone deep on a regular basis on grass or hard in the big events and therefore the H2H is not really reflective of the rivalry IMO.

·
Super Moderator
52,635 Posts
sfselesfan said:
:confused:

Nadal is only in his second year of playing slams...took Federer a lot longer to get Nadal-like results!

SF
not to mention some very early exits from slams like in 2002

It took Federer a long time to get it together mentally but Nadal doesn't seem to have that problem

1 - 20 of 87 Posts