Tennis Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This was already posted (and translated) by Bart-Belgium in the Belgian forum, but i thought it might be of interest to others outside of that forum. :wavey:

Els :sad: :sobbing:

"Els Callens will quit playing toptennis after this season. For 15 years Callens was a top player and she is the oldest player on tour (Navratilova not included).

Callens is now the number 151 and it's getting more difficult every day between all the young talent.

"It's getting harder and harder, physically. Then it's time to take a decision and have to say that it's over." Callens doubted for a long period."

---------

ELS CALLENS IS AAN SLOTSEIZOEN BEZIG
Els Callens (34) zet na dit seizoen een
punt achter haar profcarrière. Callens
is al vijftien jaar profspeelster en is
momenteel (Martina Navratilova niet
meegerekend) de oudste speelster die
meedraait in het profcircuit.

Callens is teruggezakt naar de 151e
plaats op de wereldranglijst en heeft
het steeds moeilijker om zich te
handhaven tussen het jonge geweld.

"Het wordt moeilijker en moeilijker,
vooral fysiek. Dan vind ik dat je een
beslissing moet kunnen nemen, en moet
kunnen zeggen "ja, het is afgelopen."
Callens twijfelde al langer.

·
Registered
9,963 Posts
Yes she will be missed - but her ranking is quite low now that she will only be able to play WTA qualifying and ITF events, so we may not see much of her.

·
Banned
36,918 Posts
thats a shame, i like els

hope she can have some success in this final year

would love to see one more match between her and serena at wimbledon ;)

Reactions: Hant Hant

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
if that's what she wants...although I don't want her to retire...

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
It was already known for quite some time over here. There'll be an exhibition event @ the end of the year where the fans can thank her and say goodbye. It'll be held in Bree.

·
Banned
2,421 Posts
What is her highest ranking? I know she has been a streaky player and has done well on the faster courts.. She's actually prettiere than the likes of Shrapova and Anna Kournikova in my opinion.

·
Registered
11,601 Posts
highest ranking: 43 in 1997 with wins over: Mauresmo, Sharapova, Sugiyama, Molik, Myskina, Krasnoroutskaya, Sanchez-Vicario, Suarez, Frazier, Likhovtseva,... and she almost beated Serena at Wimbledon 2002
but she was more successful in doubles (highest ranking:12 in 2001, 9 doubles titels and bronze medalist in Sydney with Monami)

·
Registered
7,971 Posts
It was already known for quite some time over here. There'll be an exhibition event @ the end of the year where the fans can thank her and say goodbye. It'll be held in Bree.
Bree:confused: Has that become Belgium's favourite stadium or something:p
I'd have thought it'd be in Antwerp, isn't she from Antwerp? Well given it is in Bree maybe Kim and Elke will be at the exo:)

highest ranking: 43 in 1997 with wins over: Mauresmo, Sharapova, Sugiyama, Molik, Myskina, Krasnoroutskaya, Sanchez-Vicario, Suarez, Frazier, Likhovtseva,... and she almost beated Serena at Wimbledon 2002
but she was more successful in doubles (highest ranking:12 in 2001, 9 doubles titels and bronze medalist in Sydney with Monami)
Fed Cup was where she was at her best though. She is Belgium's most successful doubes player ever in Fed Cup (16-6 record). All up she is 25-10 in Fed Cup:eek: She loves playing for Belgium! The Belgian team will really miss her:sad:

·
Banned
237 Posts
*Jool* said:
Els will be missed :sad:

Miss what? I am glad she is shipped out of the tour - she sucks. i hope she has a nice life and best of luck....

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.