Tennis Forum banner

121 - 128 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
Everyone knew they were going to unite :spit:. It does seem that Dobre (and Pavel before him) are actually better coaches for Halep's tennis, but she seems incapable of believing in herself without Cahill. Didn't she use him as a crutch during Wimbledon and essentially give him more credit than Dobre for her title there?
Yes, she invited Cahill to the ball. That would be like a bitchslap to Dobre, even he was there as well, it still was disrespectful.

·
7,502 Posts
I don't buy the rumours that there is/was something romantic between Cahill and Halep, ...
There isn't/wasn't anything romantic between them. Any such rumor would be fueled by haters or people unable to understand one can have a non-romantic infatuation about another person. In Simo's case, she has a strong attachment to Darren, but more as father-figure, because to a large extent Darren is everything her father wasn't: he's "international" (as in helping her network in the world of sports, improving her English, etc) while her father was pretty "local" (mentality & everything), he's soft & mellow while her father was pretty harsh (we learned from an interview she never got any dolls or similar toys whatsoever for her entire childhood... everything was tennis and only that in her life... no wonder sometimes we get the feeling she may not want to be on court, even if at some level we see she loves the sport). Subconsciously he fills an emotional gap in her entourage, plus I suppose any coaching advice in a good British or Australian accent probably sounds much smarter than in any other language. :p

As said in the past... the guy is not bad. He's a moderately good coach. Only not a 1mm/year coach. He could be a good addition to the team if she would be aware of what he can help with and where he's useless, but not at this price, and not for the subjective reasons she wants him there (which again, are not romantic at all).

A thread title needs to be edited now.
Done.

·
Registered
384 Posts
As said in the past... the guy is not bad. He's a moderately good coach.
:frown2:Do you really believe this BS? I mean... how many other coaches are there still active that can match Cahill's resume of three different World #1 players? If he is a moderately good coach what does this say about the rest of the coaches, that are amateurs???

·
7,502 Posts
:frown2:Do you really believe this BS? I mean... how many other coaches are there still active that can match Cahill's resume of three different World #1 players? If he is a moderately good coach what does this say about the rest of the coaches, that are amateurs???
He can give excellent tactical advice, I always gave him that. In that sense, he's an excellent coach.

But he's not a complete coach. He's a terrible sparring partner and also a terrible sports psychologist, at least on the WTA side (or at least in Simo's case). She had to employ external help in both those areas to be match ready in the tournaments where she did great (Beijing'17, RG'18, Wimbly'19) and improve her mentality.

So let me rephrase: for a 1mm/year salary, his overall coaching achievements with her are quite moderate. He may have great coaching potential, same as she has great on-court potential. But that's not enough to be agreat coach for her. The guy earned 3mm and got her only 1 slam. Meanwhile Bajin got Woz 1 slam (she should be partly credited for that, even if he was gone) and Osaka 2 slams for a lot less. I'm not even saying Bajin is necessarily a better coach... maybe Woz and Osaka were just more open to get the best out of him. But looking at the little progress Halep made with Darren (and even things which regressed), I can never say he was an excellent coach for her. Maybe I'm wrong, in the sense that I believe more in her potential than I should, and maybe this is the best she could be, and he took her there. I just feel she could have achieved a lot more and he didn't properly fulfill the role of maximizing her potential, that's it.

I think I make this disclaimer every 5 posts about Darren, but maybe I should make it every post: independent from the collaboration with Simo, I appreciate the guy. From the first OCC with Simo in Madrid'15 I could tell he's a great tactician, and I thought at the time he can take her really far. But he didn't. He constantly sucked at warming her up properly for matches with his solf balls, and constantly failed to untangle her psyche and give her the self-confidence she needs. On the contrary, she seems to more doubt herself in his presence and underperform (not always, I know you'll find counter examples, but I can counter that with even more negative examples). Plus I also credit him for her returning grunt (and taken even further than her young years natural grunt), which is another negative influence he had on her. The guy can be great for one player, but not as great for another. That's just it. But let's park this discussion and wait for 2020, and see then how wrong I was, if the case.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Not surprised. I figured this would happen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Dobre has said before that he wanted Cahill to join the team and Cahill himself made it clear that he wouldn´t come back if Dobre wasn´t there.

121 - 128 of 128 Posts