Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I told you: links were there on the player forum back then when they shook hands, somewhere around December 2015. I'm not gonna bother looking for them now with the poor search capabilities of this forum.
So again that's a long no. I'm shocked.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Well yes, because netto is probably only half of that. So if she earns 2.5mm netto a year, of which we can imagine 0.5mm is the entire cost of the rest of her staff, medical treatments, transport (including flying over family, friends, etc), logging & other stuff, so she's left with 2mm for her and Darren. As Darren took 1mm/year, how would she feel if at the end of the day she would be left with less than her coach for her accomplishments.

And all that starts from the assumption that her prizes are taxed at about 50%, but I could be way off, as I believe in some countries big earners are taxed over 60%. Even if my projections are a little off, it would still require a minimum of 3-4mm in prizes (bruto!) in order to afford him. So she would have had to sustain a Top5 level to afford him, which might be highly unlikely if her hernia is much serious than what they let out to the press so far.
I guess now we know who her accountant is.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Darren got paid 1 mil/year, and is considered quite low compared with Mouratoglu which gets 1.5 mil or Fissette which gets 1.2 or something like that, seen he is training the world No. 1.

·
Registered
19,689 Posts
It's sad but I think this might be a good change. Let her explore some new options.

Also...
End of 2017, no sponsor
End of 2018, no coach :eek:h:

It might work out after all.

Reactions: Rads101

·
upset I can't delete posts anymore
10,145 Posts
Darren got paid 1 mil/year, and is considered quite low compared with Mouratoglu which gets 1.5 mil or Fissette which gets 1.2 or something like that, seen he is training the world No. 1.
Where'd you get those numbers? Particularly for Fissette. Everything I've heard about tennis coaching is that, aside from true superstar coaches (one of which was Darren), very few are guaranteed a base of 6 figures USD, let alone 7 figures. Sure, certain earning arrangements, bonuses, etc. can get some top coaches up there, but that is in no way a base salary.

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
Still it looks like the decision came out of nowhere. Darren Cahill showed no signs of leaving before Singapore. He even travelled to the PR events with Halep and she didn't seem to realize that would be the end of the road with him if you read her messages at the YEC.

If the main reason is that he wants to spend time with his family, they would have had a discussion before.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Wow, quite the shocker. However, they have probably achieved a lot of their goals. Maintaining number 1 and that all important slam title. Simona has her moments, but she showed at RG that she CAN problem solve herself without Darren and his OCC. Rather than a coach, maybe she should have a shrink travel with her! She knows tennis, it’s the mental game that goes away sometimes.

Reactions: sara13

·
Registered
813 Posts
There will be a lot of reshuffling in the top rankings next year. Many of the current top 8 are going through major personal changes in the upcoming season. I would not be surprised if the roster in Shenzhen YEC consists of completely different set of names.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Whoa! Didn't see that shit coming.

·
Registered
31,357 Posts
Where'd you get those numbers? Particularly for Fissette. Everything I've heard about tennis coaching is that, aside from true superstar coaches (one of which was Darren), very few are guaranteed a base of 6 figures USD, let alone 7 figures. Sure, certain earning arrangements, bonuses, etc. can get some top coaches up there, but that is in no way a base salary.
Yeah, Cahill needed four years to win her a Slam and he gets paid a million/year. Hard to believe.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
It's not a bad outcome. He was overpaid and overrated from what I could see.
Lol, He has helped Halep a lot, Mouratoglou is the one that is overrated (winning a slam after a week of working together and getting credit). Cahill worked with Halep to become stronger mentally, he deserves all the credit for that slam win.

·
Registered
3,345 Posts
Lol, He has helped Halep a lot, Mouratoglou is the one that is overrated (winning a slam after a week of working together and getting credit). Cahill worked with Halep to become stronger mentally, he deserves all the credit for that slam win.
PM is definitely overrated.

I'm just not convinced that Darren was instrumental to Halep's success. If anything, it seems she relied on him as an emotional crutch. If she had a different coach who worked more on the technical aspects of her game and better prepared her in early rounds she may have achieved more, earlier. I think he has been given more credit than he deserves. If anything, her sports psychologist deserves more recognition.

41 - 60 of 128 Posts