Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 128 Posts

·
La nuit je mens
87,071 Posts
Clijsters and Henin are not gonna take full time coaching jobs. They both have kids and an academy to take care for. The most they'll do is conselling a few weeks.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Clijsters and Henin both have children. I can't see either one being more than a consultant if Halep asks.

ETA: Great minds and all that re Sphrontanascier's post.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
@bobito , this is Darren's full statement from Instagram, which I think should also be included in the OP:

http://instagr.am/p/Bp-KdiYBJk7/ https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-KdiYBJk7/

"dc10s: I would like to announce that Simona and I will not be continuing our partnership in 2019 purely for family reasons on my part.
After much thought and discussion, and many years with 30 plus weeks on the road away from my family, I’ve decided to take a 12 month break from coaching to be home more for support as our children enter important stages of their lives with the final year of high school, sports and college preparations all becoming more time consuming.
I’d like to thank Simona for the last 4 amazing years. Her understanding, personality, work ethic, generosity and professionalism made it a pleasure to stand by her side as her coach. She’s a young woman of total class and someone I respect greatly which is something more important than any result achieved.
Basically, I had the dream job and I want to thank her for making it that way, and the opportunity to work with someone so talented and dedicated.
I wish Simo and her team nothing but continued success and I look forward to supporting her from the sidelines next year.
A special mention to Theo Cercel, Andrei Cristofor and Virginia Ruzici for all of the support, belief, friendship and great work through the years.
And finally, to the Romanian fans that show unwavering passion and support for their girl. You guys rock, seriously. Thanks for adopting this Aussie as one of your own for the last 4 years and making me feel welcome in your country. Mulțumesc ❤
I will continue to work with the ESPN team at the AO, Wimbledon & US Open tournaments in 2019.
Cheers, Darren "

Thank you Darren :hatoff:

·
Premium Member
14,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
@bobito , this is Darren's full statement from Instagram, which I think should also be included in the OP:

http://instagr.am/p/Bp-KdiYBJk7/ https://www.instagram.com/p/Bp-KdiYBJk7/

"dc10s: I would like to announce that Simona and I will not be continuing our partnership in 2019 purely for family reasons on my part.
After much thought and discussion, and many years with 30 plus weeks on the road away from my family, I’ve decided to take a 12 month break from coaching to be home more for support as our children enter important stages of their lives with the final year of high school, sports and college preparations all becoming more time consuming.
I’d like to thank Simona for the last 4 amazing years. Her understanding, personality, work ethic, generosity and professionalism made it a pleasure to stand by her side as her coach. She’s a young woman of total class and someone I respect greatly which is something more important than any result achieved.
Basically, I had the dream job and I want to thank her for making it that way, and the opportunity to work with someone so talented and dedicated.
I wish Simo and her team nothing but continued success and I look forward to supporting her from the sidelines next year.
A special mention to Theo Cercel, Andrei Cristofor and Virginia Ruzici for all of the support, belief, friendship and great work through the years.
And finally, to the Romanian fans that show unwavering passion and support for their girl. You guys rock, seriously. Thanks for adopting this Aussie as one of your own for the last 4 years and making me feel welcome in your country. Mulțumesc ❤
I will continue to work with the ESPN team at the AO, Wimbledon & US Open tournaments in 2019.
Cheers, Darren "

Thank you Darren :hatoff:
Done

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Now this deserved a "bombshell" in the title :eek:

I'm curious as to who will coach her now and how she'll do under them. Hopefully she'll choose well

·
7,502 Posts
I think Andrei Pavel would be the obvious choice now.
Pavel would be an excellent choice, but he just started with Copil (and with excellent results out of nowhere for such a low ranked player: win over Zverev & close final against Federer)

Sadly I fear the hernia has more to do with this than anything, and they know she can't do as well next year... while she needs 5mm/year in bruto cash prizes in order to afford him, and with the hernia that seems really improbable. So I think it's too soon to talk about who/when will coach her, before we know if she can still compete at the same level as before.

·
Registered
8,611 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Pavel would be an excellent choice, but he just started with Copil.

Sadly I fear the hernia has more to do with this than anything, and they know she can't do as well next year... while she needs 5mm/year in bruto cash prizes in order to afford him, and with the hernia that seems really improbable. So I think it's too soon to talk about who/when will coach her, before we know if she can still compete at the same level as before.
Again, do you have any links for all that precious contract info? Jesus.

·
7,502 Posts
5 millions?
Well yes, because netto is probably only half of that. So if she earns 2.5mm netto a year, of which we can imagine 0.5mm is the entire cost of the rest of her staff, medical treatments, transport (including flying over family, friends, etc), logging & other stuff, so she's left with 2mm for her and Darren. As Darren took 1mm/year, how would she feel if at the end of the day she would be left with less than her coach for her accomplishments.

And all that starts from the assumption that her prizes are taxed at about 50%, but I could be way off, as I believe in some countries big earners are taxed over 60%. Even if my projections are a little off, it would still require a minimum of 3-4mm in prizes (bruto!) in order to afford him. So she would have had to sustain a Top5 level to afford him, which might be highly unlikely if her hernia is much serious than what they let out to the press so far.

What can I say? He will be missed to certain extent. He was making her a better player in some respects and helped her PR. But the progress always felt insufficient for me for a 1mm/year salary. At that price one needs to be also good sparring partner (which he wasn't... she only warmed up properly during the collaboration with Pavel); and also a good psychologist (which he wasn't either... she had to pay a sports psychologist to sort herself out after the Miami'17 incident... he never really figured her out in such way to get to her and fix her mental issues properly after more than 2 years together).

Again, do you have any links for all that precious contract info? Jesus.
I told you: links were there on the player forum back then when they shook hands, somewhere around December 2015. I'm not gonna bother looking for them now with the poor search capabilities of this forum. Trust me, I wanna be proven wrong on that one, because then this collaboration wouldn't leave me with this more-bitter-than-sweet feeling at the end of the day, but I doubt they'll open up much about it, because then other coaches will demand the same from her in the future.

21 - 40 of 128 Posts