Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No video that I could find. No stats. Just the score result.
This is the 1st match in over a year for Gavrilova, and apparently she was in excellent form.
Two comeback girls, Konjuh yesterday and Gavrilova today.
-
All Belgium is crying as both Minnen and Bonaventure lost today.

·
Registered
31,803 Posts
Wow just one match, but it would be very nice if this result is the start of a resurgence for Gavrilova. Definitely not my favorite but she seems very nice and it was sad to see how much she was struggling.

·
All I want for Christmas is EU
35,360 Posts
Daria is certainly capable of top 30 tennis but as others have said the fact she is relatively short girl means she has to work a lot harder both on and off the court to achieve that level. I think that is the way it is for shorter players. To achieve success in tennis they really do have to work harder than their peers and it does take its toll. It was pretty obvious throughout 2019 that she was burnt out and didn't have a lot to give and in that state she wasn't going to win many matches. I think players who are short do tend to have more trouble sustaining their best level for an extended time and they are more prone to burnout.

It looks like the way the pandemic extended her time off after the US Open has been beneficial to Daria and she seems to have returned healthy, fresh and motivated. Could be interesting to see how she does at RG. She will certainly be flying under the radar. I'm not suggesting anything outlandishly big, but with the right draw it wouldn't surprise me to see her in the 3rd round.

·
Registered
26 Posts
No video that I could find. No stats. Just the score result.
This is the 1st match in over a year for Gavrilova, and apparently she was in excellent form.
Two comeback girls, Konjuh yesterday and Gavrilova today.
-
All Belgium is crying as both Minnen and Bonaventure lost today.
I can assure you I am not crying over Bonaventure 😅
Also Minnen is awful post lockdown.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Gavrilova actually won two qualy rounds here. Good stuff.
Yes. It took a while but I was finally able to navigate the ITF site. You have to hit the "Live" button to find info on the tournament. There are also some limited stats.
Gav beat Nell and Makarova in the qualies. These ain't nobodies, as both are ranked in the top 700.
Gav, former top 20 player, is now unranked, probably due to not playing a match in over a year.
Due to her past high ranking, Dasha was given the 11th seed in the qualies.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I would be happy to see Daria return to high level. She's better than Putintseva.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Surely Minnen was not in full charge there...

I watched her against Martincova just few days ago... and she served quite big

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Surely Minnen was not in full charge there...

I watched her against Martincova just few days ago... and she served quite big
From ITF stats
Gavrilova 4 aces....Minnen 2 aces
Minnen only won 9/24 points with the 1st serve in
Gav won 31/39 points with the 1st serve in
On this day, Gav was having a much better service game, from the stats.

·
Registered
114,026 Posts
I saw the thread title and started thinking about cookies, and brownies and chocolate cake, cherry pie and iced cinnamon buns, donuts and pastry
And it was just a score comment!

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
I saw the thread title and started thinking about cookies, and brownies and chocolate cake, cherry pie and iced cinnamon buns, donuts and pastry
And it was just a score comment!
i think that sort of bakery would do much better in the US rather than France ;) i think you'd get a rather blank expression in most patisseries with the request "je voudrais une tarte aux cerises".

·
Registered
19,017 Posts
Well, if it was in France, it would be a boulangerie.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gavrilova needed 3 sets to defeat Burel ranked 433 in the 2nd round.
Gav will now face Tomova ranked 136 in the 3rd round. Tomova beat Belgium's finest, Bonaventure in round 1.
Tomova will be a big step up in quality for Gav.
Gav did not serve well with 8 DFs.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Gavrilova's comeback stalled against Tomova as she lost 3-6,1-6.
Nothing that stood out in the limited stats....except the lopsided score.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
decent return after so long off tour. Shame she couldn't get back and earlier and use her protected ranking to play Rome. It is probably her best tournament historically.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts