Tennis Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By Rupert Cornwell in Washingtom

30 June 2004

George Bush's battle to return to the White House was dealt a severe blow yesterday with the release of a poll showing his job approval rating at its lowest point in his presidency.

According to the New York Times/CBS poll, Mr Bush's rating has fallen further, with just 42 per cent approving of his performance, compared to 51 per cent who disapprove.

While the President was making a speech on the sunlit shores of the Bosphorus extolling the virtues of a free and democratic Iraq, a separate survey showed that the transfer of power in Baghdad is regarded by Americans as a failure. The CNN/Gallup poll found that six out of 10 people believed Monday's hasty handover, at a moment when Iraq remained so perilous, was a sign of failure, compared to just a third who regarded it as a sign of success.

Even if the situation on the ground improves after the installation of the new Prime Minister, Iyad Allawi, major questions remain about Mr Bush's handling of the war, challenging his image of straight dealing and plain talking. Of those polled by The New York Times and CBS, 59 per cent said Mr Bush was hiding something in his public statements on Iraq, compared to 18 per cent who thought he was telling the full truth. A further 20 per cent considered the President was "mostly lying".

By a margin of more than three to one, Americans think that the risk of terrorist attacks against the US has increased, rather than decreased as a result of the March 2003 invasion - flatly contradicting Mr Bush's assertions that the removal of Saddam Hussein has made the world a safer place. By a similar margin, those polled say the US involvement in Iraq is breeding, not eliminating, terrorists.

But Mr Bush's sagging approval ratings - now on a par with those of other incumbent presidents defeated since 1950 - do not mean the poll is a victory for John Kerry.

Almost 40 per cent of those surveyed had no opinion of the Democratic challenger. Among those who did, more disapproved of Mr Kerry than approved, a sign that the barrage of negative advertising by the Bush/Cheney campaign depicting him as an untrustworthy "flipflopper" has had an impact.

Despite the stream of bad news for the White House on Iraq, the pre-war intelligence on weapons of mass destruction and its alertness to the al- Qa'ida threat before the 11 September attacks, Mr Kerry only leads the President by a statistically insignificant 45 per cent to 44 per cent in the Times/CBS poll.

If the independent Ralph Nader is included, Mr Bush holds a 43-42 point lead among registered voters, with Mr Nader at 5 per cent.

In the next few weeks, however, Mr Kerry will have his chance to make an impact, first with the naming of a vice-presidential running mate, expected in early July, and then with his prime-time speech on 29 July to the Democratic nominating convention.

Mr Kerry is hoping that next month's gathering in Boston will give the same boost to his candidacy as the triumphant New York convention in 1992 which formally launched the Bill Clinton/Al Gore ticket. Mr Clinton emerged from the convention with a 30-point lead over the incumbent, President, George Bush Snr, a lead he never lost even when Ross Perot re-entered the race.

Mr Kerry's deliberations over his running mate are cloaked in secrecy. The three most widely tipped contenders are Senator John Edwards of North Carolina, the former House majority leader Richard Gephardt, and Tom Vilsack, the Democratic Governor of Iowa.
http://news.independent.co.uk/world/americas/story.jsp?story=536595

·
Enjoying married life.
19,641 Posts
this si why the media picked kerry, the guys a fool, hes not as witty or as good at geting the job done as dean.

honestly kerry is so spineless that bush can go to 30% and will still win the election

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
Bush is a loser, however Kerry isn't energized enough to go out and grab this campagin by the balls and WIN. This is why, maybe I should start trying to get myself to run for president. I think I'd do a good job at it.

Hopefully Bushy loses, because if he makes it 4 more years, he will BLOW UP THE WORLD! :scared:

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Bacardi said:
This is why, maybe I should start trying to get myself to run for president. I think I'd do a good job at it.
of course you'd would b/c you'd do absolutely nothing!--which is what a good prez would do :)

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
I'd do some things, like I think there should be some sort of public health care, and I also think the Drug Companies shouldn't be charging American buyers out the ass all because someone like Bush is RICH and money doesn't matter to him.
I might do some things, but generally I'd keep my nose out of where it doesn't belong (like Iraq).

BTW, Lakeway, I got my copy of Hockey News in the mail today.... Shockingly no Pavel in it :sad: How they can name Dan Boyle over Pavel as an influential defenseman in the playoffs is beyond me. Boyle done NOTHING in the finals, meanwhile Pavel shut Igoonla down in the last 2 games.

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
dani, hey don't worry about such things--the Lightning are the Stanley Cup champs and that is all that matters! :bounce:

well if you would do something i'd rather you eliminate the income tax, social security, destroy the Dept. of Ed...and build a wall along the border for starters...then after that easy stuff order the NHL to get rid of the red line and declare the Red Wings as traitors and remove them from the league...

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Jigglypuff said:
this si why the media picked kerry, the guys a fool, hes not as witty or as good at geting the job done as dean.

honestly kerry is so spineless that bush can go to 30% and will still win the election
This is a referendom on the incumbent. Kerry just has to appear credible if Dubya Down in approval #'s come Election Day.

·
Registered
14,737 Posts
lakeway11 said:
dani, hey don't worry about such things--the Lightning are the Stanley Cup champs and that is all that matters! :bounce:

well if you would do something i'd rather you eliminate the income tax, social security, destroy the Dept. of Ed...and build a wall along the border for starters...then after that easy stuff order the NHL to get rid of the red line and declare the Red Wings as traitors and remove them from the league...
I wouldn't mind the income tax elimination, I'd keep the social security for people that deserved it (like my grandma who worked all her life), as for the Dept of Ed, I couldn't give a shit, that needs to be gone. They only fuck shit up anyway. A boarder around the states :devil: Nobody comes in unless I want them, and nobody leaves unless i want. I'd have to make some manditory ruling that Pavel Kubina is my husband ;) And the NHL without a red line would be great, also wouldn't mind the larger rinks (I LOVE Euro hockey)... We'd remove the: Dead Wings, New Persey, and Igoonla's team of clutch and grabbers.

·
Premium Member
10,200 Posts
Kerry

The reason why Kerry's popularity has not gone above its present level is because a running mate has not been determined. This tells me that the Democrats have not gotten their act together and that they had better change their course.

Unless the Democrats unify soon, they may well lose the upcoming election thru a sort of "forfeiture". Furthermore, it must not be forgotten that the states will still be using those Diebold vote distorting machines.

If Bush "wins" this election, hell will break loose. :fiery:

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Bacardi said:
And the NHL without a red line would be great, also wouldn't mind the larger rinks (I LOVE Euro hockey)... We'd remove the: Dead Wings, New Persey, and Igoonla's team of clutch and grabbers.
Can we pussify the game, just to spite Amanda? :devil:

·
Registered
19,297 Posts
This article is right-on. Many, many people, even loads of Republicans, are not digging Bush right now and are looking to vote against him. But I think Kerry has fallen really flat on convincing people to vote for him, either. That's why I liked Dean, he was a nut, but a charismatic nut. I would have voted for him in a second. I really think Bush is going to win because Kerry is just too boring and seems like he's taken more of the blue ones than Jennifer North did when she overdosed! Vivian Leigh won two Oscars, and she was disliked by everyone! If she can win twice, so can Bush.

It's kind of like when Neely ran for SAG president. She's a total bitch and everyone hated her, but she was running against Gavin McLeod, one of the most boring people around. Neely won, is that any surprise?

·
Registered
34,218 Posts
Helen Lawson said:
It's kind of like when Neely ran for SAG president. She's a total bitch and everyone hated her, but she was running against Gavin McLeod, one of the most boring people around. Neely won, is that any surprise?
Could she have beaten Reagan? :p (Or On the other side, Ed Asner). :devil:

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I also found this article:

President Bush popularity at its lowest.

The popularity of US president George Bush dropped to its lowest ever, 42%, with only four months to the presidential election according to the latest public opinion poll aired by CBS and published by The New York Times this Tuesday.

The poll also reveals that opposition to the Iraq war has consolidated and US citizens are worried that the invasion could lead to more terrorist attacks against the United States.

Approval or President Bush’s performance now stands at 42%, from the 85% peak it had reached immediately after the attacks on the Twin Towers in September 2001. But even worse the disapproval index of 10% in September 2001 has jumped and consolidated in 50%..

Since June 2003 the number of people interviewed who believe the Iraq war was not worth the effort has increased from 42 to 60%, while those who support it dropped from 42 to 32%.

Besides since the start of 2002 the potential number of voters for president Bush’s reelection bid next November has dropped from 62 to 40%.

One of the strong points of President Bush electoral image is that he’s considered “reliable” and says the truth but the CBS-NYT latest poll shows that 59% of US citizens believe the president is hiding something and 20% believe he’s not saying the truth about the Iraq war.

A majority of US citizens, 55%, considers that the Iraq invasion has created more anti-US terrorists and only 17% think it has helped to eliminate them. The opinion poll involved 1,053 adults interviewed between June 23 and 27, that is before the Bush administration advanced the transfer of power to an Iraq interim government.

Source: http://www.falkland-malvinas.com/Detalle.asp?NUM=3864

</SPAN>

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
I share my opinion with those polls. Mainly that the Iraq war hasn't been worth the effort, that it has created anti-US sentiment/including more terrorists and that it has done NOTHING to eliminate the REAL terrorists.

But that's besides the point. I'm just glad more Americans are opening their eyes now.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts