Tennis Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Keeper of Venus & Serena,
27,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
White House stands by Santorum

The White House issued a statement Friday saying that Republican U.S. senator Rick Santorum is doing a good job as party leader and is "an inclusive man," despite his recent controversial remarks about homosexuality. "The president has confidence in the senator and believes he's doing a good job as senator" and in his Senate GOP leadership post as the third-highest-ranking Republican, White House spokesman Ari Fleischer said.

In an April 7 interview with the Associated Press, Santorum, Pennsylavnia's junior senator, compared homosexuality to bigamy, polygamy, incest, and adultery. He also said the right to privacy is not covered in the Constitution.

"The president believes the senator is an inclusive man. And that's what he believes," Fleischer said. The White House expressed confidence in the leadership of Republican senator Trent Lott (R-Miss.) in the immediate aftermath of his defense of a 1948 pro-segregation presidential ticket. As the backlash against Lott's remarks grew, however, Bush admonished Lott for his remarks and said it was up to the Senate to decide whether he should remain as majority leader. Lott resigned soon after. About Santorum, Fleischer said the Senate picks its leaders.

On Thursday more than 300 people gathered outside Santorum's Philadelphia office to protest the senator's comments. "Santorum has shown himself to be intellectually unfit for his position of leadership in the U.S. Senate," said Mike Marsico, cochairman of Liberty City Democratic Club, the gay political group that organized the protest. "Not only are we calling on the Republican leadership to denounce his comments but to demote his position in Congress."

Republican senators Lincoln Chafee of Rhode Island and Olympia Snowe of Maine have also taken issue with Santorum's remarks. "I thought his choice of comparisons was unfortunate, and the premise that the right of privacy does not exist--just plain wrong," Chafee said in a statement Thursday. "Senator Santorum's views are not held by this Republican and many others in our party." On Wednesday Snowe said Santorum's comments "undermine Republican principles of inclusion and opportunity."

·
27,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
kiss my ASS Bush. You just lost any chance whatsoever of getting my support for you ever again....

and next thing ya know, i'll be in jail because i somehow violated the patriot act.

·
Webmaster
2,107 Posts
bush can't tell prejudice from his asshole... who cares what he thinks anyway.... everytime i see a pic of him he looks like somebody just hit him in the head with a frying pan

i'd rather be an imoral deviant gay abomination than be an old stupid straight fuck who makes an ass out of myself daily in front of the entire world! no contest there.... it's hillarious that the white house and everyone else who denounced that last senator for racist comments but supports homophobia can't even see what slimey pathetic hypocrites they are... it must be nice leading the life of a dumbass... everything just flies past your clueless, cross-eyed face

wow i feel better now

·
Registered
25,073 Posts
Why in the hell is he supporting Santorum?

·
27,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He is supporting Santorum, because "it's ok to hate gays"

The Christian Coalition, Family Research Council, etc. are all big time funders of the GOP and this is the agenda they desire.

NOW, not all republicans think like this. Thank GOD for my fave senator - Olympia Snowe - who was one of the first (dem or repubs) to denounce these words.....as well as Lincoln Chafee, Susan Collins, and John McCain.

However, no one in the republican leadership or White House ever stated how wrong it was to link homosexuality to incest. That is a major problem right there.

FURTHERMORE, many folks on this side of the issue think it's not discrimination.....it's some type of divine right to keep America "normal". HENCE, the justification for being discriminatory against GLBTs.

·
45,913 Posts
this is a great article:

Santorum is worse than a mere bigot

April 25, 2003

BY LEONARD PITTS JR.

You will be relieved to learn that Rick Santorum is an all-right guy.

I got this from Arlen Specter who is, like Santorum, a Republican senator from Pennsylvania. Specter has been defending his colleague, who's under fire for comments about gays that he made during a recent wire-service interview.

In the course of just a few moments, the senator managed to compare homosexuality to bigamy, polygamy, incest, adultery and bestiality. For good measure, he also cited it as a threat to the American family.

Still, my favorite part was when he said he had no problem with homosexuality, just with homosexual acts. Which is not unlike saying, "It's OK to be vegetarian, just don't eat plants." As if one is obligated, for the comfort of others, to separate one's identity from the behavior that defines it.

No such obligation exists. It's condescending, patronizing, ignorant and arrogant to imply that it does.

But Sen. Santorum, does have his defenders. "I have known Rick Santorum for the better part of two decades," Sen. Specter said in a statement, "and I can say with certainty he is not a bigot."

Specter, you will recall, also vouched for Trent Lott last year after he made racially insensitive remarks. Specter's assurances are as convincing now as they were then.

Which is to say, not at all.

Case is before Supreme Court
The question that got Santorum in trouble was about a case now being decided by the U.S. Supreme Court. In 1998, police entered the Houston-area home of a man named John Lawrence. They were responding to a weapons-disturbance call that turned out to be bogus. But while there, they found Lawrence having sex with another man and arrested them. This was possible because Texas is among that dwindling number of states with laws criminalizing gay sex.

It seems obvious to me that something is wrong when authorities can enter a private home and arrest consenting adults for having sex that is not government approved. You'd think it would seem doubly obvious to Santorum, whose party's mantra is that government should be less intrusive.

With all due respect to Sen. Specter, it is only in the most charitable interpretation of his remarks that Santorum is a mere bigot. A harsher reading suggests that he is something worse: a crass opportunist, pandering to the fears and hatreds of his core constituency.

We should expect better
There is in it an echo of the GOP's infamous Southern strategy, in which candidates used coded language to signal to the white South their antipathy toward African-American civil liberties. One is reminded of 1980, when Ronald Reagan invoked state's rights in the very place where three civil rights workers had been murdered 16 years before for the crime of registering black people to vote.

Then as now, a savvy political operator chooses to scapegoat and attack a group of people, not for what they think but for what they are. Then as now, it is the knowing cynicism of the act that gives it moral repugnance.

The one difference between then and now is that then, we expected nothing better. But now, according to the party's chieftains, we should.

They're the ones who keep telling us the GOP has become a party of inclusion.

Apparently, not everyone received the memo.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Whoa, that Metafilter thread about Santorum has doubled in size since this news hit. Also, there is more interesting personal info on Santorum. Give it a read!

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
He and his cronies are narrow minded retards.one faux-pas too many, and im sure they would be amongst the first to accuse a nation it didnt like of being awful to groups of people. I honestly cant see how any sane person voted him in in the first place, he wouldnt last 2 seconds in this country.
Still, it wouldnt suprise me if he gets a second term.

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Kiwi_Boy said:
He and his cronies are narrow minded retards.one faux-pas too many, and im sure they would be amongst the first to accuse a nation it didnt like of being awful to groups of people. I honestly cant see how any sane person voted him in in the first place, he wouldnt last 2 seconds in this country.
Still, it wouldnt suprise me if he gets a second term.
He was elected for who he is and what he represents. Not for his (lack of) qualifications.

I know you guys don't like it, but unfortunately, Senator Santorum's views are shared by roughly half of United States' citizens. The White House will support him in public (they won't support his comments, they aren't that stupid, just him) for the reasons Joshua mentioned. Very powerful forces within the party feel exactly the way Senator Santorum does. And although progress has been made, that's not likely to change anytime soon. So my advice to all of you who are upset over this is to go out and use your vote if you don't already.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Dr. Scotso said:
Fuck Bush, Fuck Santorum, Fuck the Republican party, Fuck the government, Fuck inequality, Fuck the Christian Coalition, and please oh please, fuck my ass :D ;)

too funny!!!!!!! lol

Reactions: VivalaSeles

·
Registered
152,750 Posts
So glad I'm not living in America - not planning to even visit there if this is the attitude of half the people there (according to King Lindsay).Not that we're that much better, but at least we don't have idiots running off at the mouth like that in parliament about gays! ;) (AtT least not that I can remember in the last few years) ;)

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Sarah, you're welcome in Belgium. In a recent voting test on TV, only 13% was against gay marriage, some 30 or 40% was for gay marriages but felt they shouldn't be allowed the adopt children, the majority choose the last option: gays should be allowed to marry AND adopt children.

The more I see of Bush and his cronies, the more I see the similarities with the extreme right party here *shudders*

·
Registered
13,105 Posts
Well, Sarah, we do have the Festival of Light here...or whatever the fuck it's called these days. Not to mention goddamn Archbishop Pell. :rolleyes:

However, the difference is that no mainstream Australian politician would say anything like this...even if they privately thought it.

·
Bright Like Neon Love
13,433 Posts
I am now convinced that despite all of the back-slapping, gosh darning and good-old-boying...the Bush administration has no testicles.

Could you imagine what it would've meant if Bush had admonished Santorum right away? A conservative Republican saying that anti-gay comments are wrong. Maybe it wouldn't have been historic, but it certainly would've meant a step...hell, a LEAP, in the right direction.

But no...Bush can't offend his far-right friends, and he can't offend any of his major backers. At least until all the outcry comes out (just like it did for Trent Lott), and then he'll amend his comments to say that what Santorum did was wrong.

I'm beginning to think Bush is just like Bill Clinton: "Whichever way the wind blows...so will I blow" :p

·
Banned
4,078 Posts
Richie77 said:
I'm beginning to think Bush is just like Bill Clinton: "Whichever way the wind blows...so will I blow" :p
Richie, every politician is like that.

Were you convinced before that they did have testicles? Of course Bush can't offend his political and financial backers. No politician can.

If Bush would support gay rights, that would indeed be historic. If ANY Republican President would do that, it would be historic. But I think we're a generation or two away from that.

Do you think there will be as much of an outcry over this as there was over Lott's remarks? There was an interesting column posted here written by Dan Savage which suggested that it won't be because homophobia is more tolerable (in the eyes of the general public) than racism. I'm inclined to agree.

·
27,442 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep KingLindsay, I agree too, which is probably why I'm so damn angry over this.

I have been "politiking" at work about this for the past few days too a bunch of middle-aged Southern women, and have made a tremendous impact on them. For example, they had no idea that sodomy was illegal -- they also had no idea that it's ok to discriminate against gays.

Now, these ladys are a majority of Southern Baptists with kids and grandkids, and I managed to get them thinking about the issue, since they know me and know I'm gay, and actually had some positive results.

NOW, I know it's only about 10 people I had an impact on, but imagine if everyone that felt as strongly as I do, was to do the same thing. It would be incredible......not to mention once someone "straight" realizes how homophobia is still tolerated, and if they don't support homphobia, they would share their opinions with their friends, co-workers, etc.

You've got to be yourself and be proud of who you are if there is ever going to be equality in this nation......and if you are above 18 years old, just do it! It's not easy, but neither were other "revolutionaries" that were brave enough to go against the grain and challenge conventional thought.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts