Tennis Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... most endangered sea turtle in the world.

You can sign a petition online here, and pass it to your friends.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeaction/771891222?ts=1088838268&sign[partnerID]=1&sign[memberID]=173254760&sign[partner_userID]=173254760

Baby Sea Turtles In Danger!
President Bush has just approved extensive gas drilling in the main U.S. nesting beach for the most endangered sea turtle in the world, with only about 3,000 to 5,000 adults remaining. The National Park Service just approved the drilling without formally consulting with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as required by the Endangered Species Act.

The drilling trucks could crush nests or pack down the sand so that hatchlings are unable to emerge from nests. Even the vibrations from rumbling trucks can increase the likelihood of embryonic damage or mortality, according to the species' official "Sea Turtle Recovery Plan."

The park offers the longest undeveloped barrier beach in the world. Park Service approval for a third drilling permit is likely soon, despite the use of the island by the Kemp's ridley sea turtle every spring for nesting.

·
Chionophile
40,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dr. Scotso said:
The National Park Service just approved the drilling without formally consulting with the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, as required by the Endangered Species Act.

Doesn't something like this need approval from Congress?
I don't know! You would think so right? Can anyone answer?

BTW thanks for bumping this, and showing interest. I think this is the first time someone's responded to my eco-threads. :) ;)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
People bitch and moan about gas prices and than dont want drilling to go on to find new sources. YOu cant win. PLEASE SAVE THE TURTLES with all thats goin on in the world that would def be my top concern

·
Premium Member
20,396 Posts
Thanks for posting this article Sam.

This makes me realize more and more that we need to find an alternative to fuel.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts