Tennis Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is Bud Collins right about Venus being stuck in a tough situation?

During a intermission of the Men's doubles final, there was a broadcast of a "Bud Collins: Point of the Tournament" moment. He was saying how Serena has shined and the Venus' Star is starting to fade away.

He said Venus is quietly being torn up inside. She wants to win and improve. But, mostly of the problem lies with her #1 rival is her sister and best friend. He said Oracene Price has done a wonderful job in the coaching of both sisters. However, as their mother and coach, she may not see Venus right now needs more help than Serena in the aspect of improving her game and thus may need outside help.

He seemed to imply Venus and Serena have been raised that family comes first before anything and one for all. They share everything. And that is the problem. To Venus it may seems that seeking outside help for her game may go against that philosophy. She may be thinking how would the rest of the family react especially Serena if she was to chose a course of seeker an outsider of the family to help improve her tennis skills. And would she be wrong or selfish not share all her strategic skills to combat and defeat her #1 rival, her sister.

He thinks if Venus doesn't come to a resolution sometime soon, the emotional strain may become too much.

===========================

What do you all think about Bud Collins' analysis? Does he has a point or there is too much reading into it?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
What's wrong with family coming first?
I think since they both lost at the FO, they'll be fired up for Wimby!

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
I think there is something to what Bud says. I don't know that getting outside help is going to fix the problem though. I'm sure that Venus does feel conflicted. I do think she misses being the number one and would like to be number one again, but if that means going after her little sister tooth and tong, it's probably difficult for her. Venus used to have her niche in the family. She was the oldest and the spotlight was mainly on her. Now it's mainly on Serena. Now she has to find her niche again.

I thought Venus's last press conference was a lot more touching than Serena's. It was clear that she had been crying before the press conference. She looked extremely vulnerable. As usual after a loss, she didn't share many of her thoughts with the press, but she looked miserable.

Maybe it's just the injury. Maybe she'll be back strong as ever at Wimbledon. We will see what we will see.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think Venus is in a tough situation.. perhaps similar to the one she was in at the beginning of 2000. But I don't think Oracene (either knowingly or unknowingly) is looking Venus over in favour of Serena, because Serena is winning. The attitude has always been that BOTH sisters are up there contending GS', and I'm sure that Oracene feels this too.

Venus has been looking shaky for the last 9 months in my opinion, but it's just that no-one except Serena was getting anywhere near her. I don't know enough about the technicalities of tennis to suggest that Venus is lacking technically (in comparison to Serena and the rest of the Top 8). But if I did, that's what I'd say.

Where I do agree with Bud is that Serena's success must be tearing Venus up in some ways, but I don't think it effects her play to any great extent. I just think there are creases in her game, which didn't seem to be there before.

When Venus was winning everything it inspired Serena to the heights we've seen, so I wouldn't be surprised if Venus would be able to do the same. But I'm not sure though.

·
Registered
20,942 Posts
Bud Colins said something simialr when Venus lost in the first round of the French Open two years ago and what happened? She won Wimbeldon and the US Open. What has changed for Venus is that she is beginnig to realize that she has weakenesses in her game and she has to fix them if she ever expects to win another Grand Slam. She has said she plans on playing more tournaments. My hope is that she goes to the Boletteri Academy with Serena to work on her game. Serena did it and it seems to have worked.

·
Registered
44,018 Posts
I don't think Serena's success is hurting Venus. I think Venus' lack of confidence in herself is hurting Venus. The sisters feed off each other. I seriously can't see how Serena's success would HURT Venus. She loves her sister and is proud of her. What is she suppose to feel?

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
Life is a little more complicated. Of course Venus loves Serena more than anyother person on earth other than her mother and father. That doesn't mean she can't and doesn't have mixed feelings about those she loves the most. Isn't that part of "family" too?

I just don't think it is as happy for Venus now as it was when she was at the pinnacle. I wonder if Serena sees that too. I just think that it is very difficult for siblings to be in the same career competing so closely. Maybe the reality is a little different than everyone thought it would be when it was only a plan to dominate the tennis world. Maybe each one dreamt that she would be the number one, and not the other. Maybe the number 2 girl doesn't feel ok with that the way she though she might feel.

I dunno.

But when all is said and done, I'm sure that both Serena and Venus are extremely happy about their lives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts