Tennis Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought Bud Collins'"Total Tennis - The Ultimate tennis Encyclopedia" in Toronto. It has a fair bit about Mary in it. There's a year-by-year history of the sport, and in the 1994 section, regarding Mary's super win over Steffi Graf at Roland Garros it has an interesting quote from Lindsay Davenport that I hadn't seen before:

"Even Monica couldn't destroy Steffi the way Mary did. It's amazing what Mary has done, great for our game. This is what we needed, not another Steffi French Open". Good, huh?

There's also a profile on Mary, alas not in the 'Notable Players' section but in the lesser 'They Also Serve' section, but that annoyingly and incorrectly says she was a World Top Tenner five times before listing the SIX years that she held that position!!

They also have playing profiles of all the notable players, and I was surprised to see Mary's full name listed as Mary Caroline Pierce!! I thought I knew everything about Mary! I can recount her whole playing career, give her head-to-head record against anybody - but I never knew her middle name is Caroline?! Is this just something I've missed - did everyone else know it already?

·
Banned
324 Posts
Nice quote by Lindsay... I have always been a huge fan of Steffi's, Mary is the only player I started liking after she beat Steffi. She completely destroyed her. Steffi certainly wasn't playing her best, but Mary was outstanding. I'm sure she would've beaten anyone that day.

I would put Mary in the "Notable Players" rather than the "They also serve" section, but then again, Mary was never a Steffi or a Martina N as far as consistency is concerned..

I didn't know Mary's middle name was Caroline either.. a few months ago, I was downloading some Mary pics and there was a pic titled "Mary Caroline Pierce". Even then I didn't think Caroline was her middle name.. then one of my friends told me that Caroline is infact her middle name... and then he made fun of me that I consider myself a Pierce fan!

·
Senior Member,
1,825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bilal said:
Nice quote by Lindsay... I have always been a huge fan of Steffi's, Mary is the only player I started liking after she beat Steffi. She completely destroyed her. Steffi certainly wasn't playing her best, but Mary was outstanding. I'm sure she would've beaten anyone that day.

I would put Mary in the "Notable Players" rather than the "They also serve" section, but then again, Mary was never a Steffi or a Martina N as far as consistency is concerned..

I didn't know Mary's middle name was Caroline either.. a few months ago, I was downloading some Mary pics and there was a pic titled "Mary Caroline Pierce". Even then I didn't think Caroline was her middle name.. then one of my friends told me that Caroline is infact her middle name... and then he made fun of me that I consider myself a Pierce fan!

Oh good, bilal! It's not just me! I 'should' have known too: I feel quite remiss!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Yes

·
Registered
749 Posts
Interesting...

This is interesting...I never knew that either....

Mary Caroline Pierce....what a lovely name for a great lady! :hearts:

Great info, declan!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
This is a second first name which is never use by french people, I'm pretty sur that her full name is "Mary Caroline Pierce" and Caroline might be the first name of her Mother, grand mother or cousin

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.