Tennis Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Strange match and one Xu will definitely feel she should have won. She served for the first 2 sets, and also had a 4-2 lead in the decider. At her best she can hit the ball so well and is good to watch, but then she will spray error after error out of the court, so is frustrating and she beats herself up about it.

First win for a long time for Lara after missing both recent slams and as she's now outside the top 160, it's one that she needed.

·
Registered
13,029 Posts
Strange match and one Xu will definitely feel she should have won. She served for the first 2 sets, and also had a 4-2 lead in the decider. At her best she can hit the ball so well and is good to watch, but then she will spray error after error out of the court, so is frustrating and she beats herself up about it.

First win for a long time for Lara after missing both recent slams and as she's now outside the top 160, it's one that she needed.
Wasn't it Xu who was touted as the next big player from China few years ago? She's hasn't met the expectations as a pro so far, not unlike Mihalikova.

Reactions: LCagliari

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Wasn't it Xu who was touted as the next big player from China few years ago? She's hasn't met the expectations as a pro so far, not unlike Mihalikova.
Yeah, she won the 2014 Youth Olympics at 16, and achieved her (current) career high exactly 3 years ago, but hasn't really pushed on since. I think she does have the game and weapons to go a lot further than she is currently ranked, but can't see her being game changing and the level of player they crave.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Yeah, she won the 2014 Youth Olympics at 16, and achieved her (current) career high exactly 3 years ago, but hasn't really pushed on since. I think she does have the game and weapons to go a lot further than she is currently ranked, but can't see her being game changing and the level of player they crave.
Didn't she just sneak into the top 200 recently ?

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Didn't she just sneak into the top 200 recently ?
Yes, you're right Tomma, that'll teach me for trusting Wiki was up to date, as opposed to looking on the WTA website. Her career high was 190 a couple of months ago, but has since slipped back outside the top 200.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts