Tennis Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43,536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Qiang holding on to her seed this far entering her WTA SF of the year (not counting 125s) :yeah: She certainly needs some more confidence heading into the Asian swing. So this run must be very welcome for her. :) Giorgi next will be a tough one!

Blinky :hug: Did well to reach her very first WTA QF here. :)

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I've never heard Wang so vocal. Whether it was something to do with the coach situation, but there were constant loud 'come on's' after most winners which I've never heard before. Didn't get to see the first set as I was watching Cami, so god knows what happened there, but she was looking better in that second set and a few long rallies, and far fewer erros than against SWH last week.

Cami was very impressive today so if they both play the same, I'd back the Italian, but it could be a decent match, and yes, very important for Wang to get these points after getting nothing post Wimbledon through inactivity and losing her comeback match.

·
Registered
18,176 Posts
Classic WTA scoreline...

:bowdown:

·
Registered
9,122 Posts
Only watched the final set and there were plenty of long points :eek: Blinkova going for more while Wang Qiang wasn't playing at the level she was playing in Wuhan last year but a SF outside Asia :cheer:

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Snow White dwarved Blinkova.
Obvs made some major readjustments after that first set.
Semis against Giorgi Girl will be a good test - Qiang will be back up to 16 if she wins it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Coverage of the match was so poor. When coach met with Wang during match, he was not identified while I was watching. She used to have an Asian coach after parted from McNamara because of his health problem. But Caucasian was there today. Anyone know who he is and his background?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Thomas Drouet who used to coach Babos, and, actually Blinkova. They first started working together just before the French Open.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Coverage of the match was so poor. When coach met with Wang during match, he was not identified while I was watching. She used to have an Asian coach after parted from McNamara because of his health problem. But Caucasian was there today. Anyone know who he is and his background?
Thomas Drouet, used to coach Timea Babos.

Perhaps most famously, Bernard Tomic's dad broke his nose back when he was Tomic's hitting partner.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Can you provide more details about this incident? :eek:
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/sports/tennis/bernard-tomics-father-charged-with-assault-on-sons-training-partner-thomas-drouet.html

It was a pretty big deal at the time. Tomic's dad was banned from the tour for a year or so, faced jail time but in Spain nobody actually goes to jail.

Drouet also said he'd seen Tomic looking like his dad had beaten him, but Tomic denied it. My bet is in 15 years we'll probably hear a Lucic or Dokic style revelation from him.

·
Registered
10,283 Posts
https://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/07/sports/tennis/bernard-tomics-father-charged-with-assault-on-sons-training-partner-thomas-drouet.html

It was a pretty big deal at the time. Tomic's dad was banned from the tour for a year or so, faced jail time but in Spain nobody actually goes to jail.

Drouet also said he'd seen Tomic looking like his dad had beaten him, but Tomic denied it. My bet is in 15 years we'll probably hear a Lucic or Dokic style revelation from him.
Like father like son - as the saying goes. :tape:

But it might explain the craziness & douchiness of his son, but here as a sort of abreaction. I've also read about his father literally tormenting Bernard with back-breaking training when he was a teenager.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts