·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
(wc) Harriet Dart v (LL) Christina McHale

(wc) Katie Swan v Laura Siegemund

Heather Watson v (q) Caty McNally

(19) Johanna Konta v (q) Ana Bogdan

(9) Sloane Stephens is Jo's projected R3 match, (6) Kvitova or (25) Anisimova in R4. I suppose it is possible that Kvitova may withdraw and be replaced by a 33rd seed, or some other shuffling, if it's early enough.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Any MD match will be tough for the girls in the shape they are in, but I think they are relatively fortunate draws, all told.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
I think it's collectively about as good as could be hoped. To get 3 of the bottom 20 by ranking, including a LL, is very fortunate. Obviously Katie and Harriet are included in that bottom 20 as well, and Heather borderline, so their opponents will be equally as happy to have drawn them.

McNally is obviously good, and will only get much better, and has had some good grass court wins this season, and some higher ranked out of form players like Zhu, Kumkhum, Lapko etc. would all have been much more favourable, but she is still a qualifier making her grand slam debut. Siegemund was one of the lower ranked DA's and hasn't played a grass match for 3 years, and McHale was well beaten by Juvan in the FQR, and the clay court Slovenian struggled in both of her previous 2 qualifying matches.

For Heather, Katie and Harriet, about 90% of potential opponents would have been considered tough, relatively, but it's a pretty decent draw overall, and as guichard says, there's not one who will be a rank outsider like Broady, Dart and Dunne were 12 months ago.

Just a shame there's only 4 involved, record low numbers, but that can't be changed.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Yes, 4 out of 128 is poor. Can't blame Wimbledon for not handing out more wildcards because there isn't a wide enough pool of promising players from which to pick. The LTA need to get more girls playing as well improving facilities and coaching.

Doesn't help that women get shunted off the main courts at all their tournaments so more men's matches can get televised and streamed.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
Just looking at Heather's draw individually, if she was ever going to reach the second week of Wimbledon, this would probably be it.

Now she's obviously not had a good 2019, has lost her last 3 matches (2 grass, 1 indoors) and individually, she'd probably be a betting underdog in all 3 potential matches, certainly L64 and L32, and possibly even McNally as well, and she could quite easily crash at the first hurdle, but breaking it down, she has a lower ranked qualifier in R1, possibly Kontaveit in R2 who has been in poor form since Stutgart, lost to Friedsam last time out, and Harriet pushed her close the other day as well. Vondrousova is the highest seed before the L16, and any other surface I'd say absolutely no chance, but with grass, the playing field will be levelled a bit, and Marketa was struggling a bit with Zheng the other day.

I don't think she will reach the L16, and could well exit in R1, but her initial draw could have been far worse if she was to make an impact.

·
Registered
11,927 Posts
The draws are pretty good but of course that means very little.. :lol:

In general, Hev does not play well against these young players moving up the rankings.. :sobbing: I have this horrible feeling she will lose. But, Hev does generally raise her level for Wimbledon, rather than get intimidated by the occasion, like a lot of other Brits..So it will be interesting.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
I don't think any of the four in the MD this year are intimidated by the occasion, actually - Katie won her R1 last year. Harriet went to three sets v Pliskova, won a round of dubs, and reached semis in mixed. That is above expectations.

But, I think they are all in worse form than last year - well Konta was obviously in better form on clay, but her grass season has been mehehehhhh.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
No TBA this year. I'm tempted to say that with no Brits in the draw, there was no reason for one, but presumably they just decided they should have a firm schedule, so moved up the start of play.

Heather into a first set tiebreak after approximately 24 breaks of serve, including the last game where McNally had 2SP at *6-5 40-15

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Harriet drops the first set against her lucky loser opponent, with the 1 break point taken of the 10 the players had proving decisive.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Set apiece, though I was taking a last chance to see(*) a couple of players, so didn't see anything of the second set.

(*) one of them has turned their match around, so perhaps not the last chance

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
Harriet to serve for it, but after 7 consecutive breaks (so different from the first set), the odds are against her killing it off here.

·
Registered
5,881 Posts
McHale blazes a forehand long, and it's MP.

Saved. No mistake this time. Deuce

And gradually forces Harriet back in the next point. Advantage McHale.

Ace no. 1. Deuce

Off FH CC winner. MP no. 2

Service winner.

GSM. Dart d. McHale 4-6 6-4 6-4

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
yes, it is but just her third appearance in md singles
Yep, and the first time she's had a favourable draw.

She gave a very good account of herself last year against Pliskova, on her first MDWC, then qualified for Oz, and got double-bagelled by Sharapova.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts