Tennis Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am speechless, how can a legitimate party have announced such hatred towards one's race and how te hell can they persuade 3/4 million of people vote for them in the election?

I am looking forward to the debate the chariman has on newsnight

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3894529.stm
BNP activists admit to race crime

Steve Barkham claims to have attacked this Asian man
British National Party activists have confessed to racially motivated crimes including an assault on an Asian in a BBC undercover documentary.
BNP member Steve Barkham told reporter Jason Gwynne how he kicked and punched a man during the 2001 Bradford riots.

The Secret Agent also shows the party's leader Nick Griffin condemning Islam as a "vicious wicked faith".

Mr Griffin accused the BBC of selective editing and said his full speech had discouraged attacks on communities.

BBC producers say the material will be handed over to the police and the Crown Prosecution Service.

Mr Gwynne spent six months infiltrating the BNP's West Yorkshire branch with the help of former local organiser Andy Sykes, who turned mole for anti-fascist group Searchlight.

We ask anyone with further information about any of the alleged crimes to contact us

West Yorkshire Police

Profile of BNP

In the documentary, footage recorded at a meeting in Keighley shows BNP leader Mr Griffin saying it was important to stand up and act for the party or "they (Muslims) will do for someone in your family".

"For saying that, I tell you, I will get seven years if I said that outside."

He calls Islam a "wicked, vicious faith" that "has expanded through a handful of cranky lunatics" and "is now sweeping country after country".

Another member, Stewart Williams, says he wants to "blow up" Bradford's mosques with a rocket launcher.

BNP council candidate Dave Midgley is shown saying he squirted dog faeces through the letterbox of an Asian takeaway.

In the film, Mr Barkham says he beat an Asian man during the Bradford riots.

But, he says, he was not prosecuted as his victim was unable to identify him from police photographs.

Expulsion call

A West Yorkshire Police spokeswoman said: "We haven't yet seen the programme, we have spoken to the programme makers and will be investigating the claims made to identify what, if any, offences may have taken place.

"We ask anyone with further information about any of the alleged crimes to contact us."

Mr Griffin later said Mr Midgley and Mr Barkham would be expelled from the BNP.

If Mr Blunkett wants to put me on a show trial about whether we're entitled to warn about the dangers of Islam, I will be absolutely delighted

Nick Griffin
BNP
And Mr Williams would face an internal disciplinary tribunal in connection with his comments, he added.

The Muslim Council of Britain (MCB) has welcomed the BBC investigation.

It urged the government to introduce legislation outlawing incitement to religious hatred, or discrimination on religious grounds.

Iqbal Sacranie, secretary-general of the MCB, said: "We look forward to the Crown Prosecution Service and Director of Public Prosecutions confirming that they will look at the programme to see whether any existing criminal offences have been committed."

Mr Griffin accused the programme makers of selectively editing a speech he delivered in the film and challenged the authorities to prosecute him.

"It's still not illegal to criticise Islam", he said.

"If Mr Blunkett wants to put me on a show trial about whether we're entitled to warn about the dangers of Islam, I will be absolutely delighted."

Any jury would see the full speech, in which he states that the BNP is not targeting individuals or communities, he added.

The BBC was failing in its charter terms to represent the views of BNP supporters who now represented 5% of the electorate, claimed Mr Griffin.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I've watched most of it and i am ashamed that such people live in Britain.Its truly disgusting.Since going to university in september i've become friends with non-white ( hope that isn't insulting) for the first time in my life.I come from an area were everyone is white and moving to a city has tought me so much.

In my eyes colour of someones skin is not important people are still the same on the inside.

And i'd like to point out not everyone is of the same opinion as these bigoted racists.

Reactions: Kart

·
Team WTAworld, Senior Member
8,263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I mean for me as an asian living in UK, I don't blame anyone over here, not even those people who voted for BNP. Theya re clearly misled. But then to think that all over the world we have minority of people in the society which think like this way is disturbing.

I understand a lot of people in every country do not expose to any other race. (I would be lying if I say Hong Kong people do not have aparticular biased against filipinos for example) but hope that this documentary can reach down to a lot of people...

·
Registered
34,742 Posts
Why can't the Belgian TV make such a documentary about the Vlaams Blok? :fiery: Be glad the BBC is exposing them! Over there they just show them nicely attired in business suits, having breakfast with their perfect little family.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
Well, ive heard it about 50 times after listening to radio one all day, and some of these people are really sick, and I don't know why people would vote for them.

They have something like 21 seats in the north of england.

I have not read the thread sorry, im just posting a quick reply, with my view, thanks.

·
Registered
8,423 Posts
Monica_Rules said:
I've watched most of it and i am ashamed that such people live in Britain.Its truly disgusting.Since going to university in september i've become friends with non-white ( hope that isn't insulting) for the first time in my life.I come from an area were everyone is white and moving to a city has tought me so much.

In my eyes colour of someones skin is not important people are still the same on the inside.

And i'd like to point out not everyone is of the same opinion as these bigoted racists.
Well said Monica_Rules :yeah:

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
I didn't watch the documentary but I already knew the BNP were a bunch of small minded shits so it's nothing new to me. I have no idea how they're still around in this day and age to be honest! :scratch:

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I didn't see the programme but I can't believe people would seriously believe the BNPs claims that they arent a bunch of racist thugs. They are nothing BUT a bunch of eveil, horrible toss pots who should be shot.

They recentrly stood in my area for the Euro Elections in June. I'd had a long day and wasn't feeling well when I got home and wasn't going to vote. But as soon as I heard they were standing, I was so horrified that I marched straight down to the polling station and voted Lib Dem.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
I think a lot fo the BNPs campaigning such as Islamaphobia will not be allowed once the proposed Religious Hate (name?) is made Law. I think a lot fo Brits who vote for the BNP actually claim that they are not racist but choose to vote for the Nazis as "a protest vote"
In fact my family (father black Jamaican, mother white Irish) live only a few hundred yards away from the BNP Headquarters in Welling!!!

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
JollyRoger said:
Where is emptyhead to present their side of things here? :eek:
Methinks the coward has made a sharp exit as emptyhead but assumed a new identity as...?:confused: :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
27,114 Posts
Monica_Rules said:

:worship::worship::worship:

wongqks said:
I am speechless, how can a legitimate party have announced such hatred towards one's race and how te hell can they persuade 3/4 million of people vote for them in the election?
Don't be surprised. The BNP makes most of its votes on manipulating the ignorance of the general public. The way they proclaim themselves as a legitimate party is their way in.

I didn't see this documentary but any piece of TV that implicates the BNP in the hate that it spreads gets a :yeah: from me.

I'm especially pleased to hear of any catching out of Nick Griffin - he truly is an odious man.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I don't know why people would vote for them.
3 reasons I can think of, off the top of my head. I missed the documentary.

BNP skims a lot of votes from the anti-immigration feelings. A lot of people have no idea what the party really stands for other than anti-foreigners - a bit like UKIP, they manipulate the "little-islanders".

Secondly. In the north there's a lot of self imposed segregation between whites and Asians, with government money specifically given to ethnic minorities - not to whites which spreads anti-ethnic minority feeling. ie. "I was born here, and aren't getting any more yet they are".

Thirdly. Fear of Islam.

·
Registered
8,352 Posts
Well I'm pro-UKIP but anti-BNP obviously. The two parties are too often being confused with each other.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
They are confused with each other which is wrong but when you have Robert Kilroy-Silk as a member i think you can see why people link them.

Reactions: John Inverdale
1 - 16 of 16 Posts