Tennis Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
26,933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay the topic "British tennis" has been discussed extensively here. But after the most recent Brit fiasco at RG I had another look at the WTA rankings by country and compared GB with Germany and France.

FRA / GER / GB

No. of players in top 100: 9 / 5 / 0
No. of players in top 200: 18 / 10 / 3
No. of players in top 300: 22 / 16 / 7
No. of players in top 400: 25 / 24 / 8

I think it's obvious what GB's problem is. Okay, France is way ahead of Germany too regarding top-players. But these two countries have similar depth in the lower regions. GB is way behind there.
If you had a look at the men's rankings I think the picture would be the same.

So obviously there are simply too few people playing tennis in GB.
Why is that?

In Germany tennis has been in decline in the past 10 years and the clubs have lost members. However, tennis is still the 2nd biggest sport here. The clubs work harder now to get new members, they cooperate with school to get kids to start playing, etc.
All in all, tennis is still a very common sports activity, and there's lots of talent in our young players. The lack of top players from Germany is a different issue but the potential is there.

In Britain this does not seem to be the case. What happened, and are there serious efforts to improve the situation?

·
Registered
12,234 Posts
Too much money spent in the wrong places. For too many years we have been developing artificial grass courts which are rarely used on the ITF tour. Most of our girls also seem to have a fear of winning and do not possess the ability to fight when they are not playing well. When Amelie took on Maria last year at Wimbledon she didn't play her best tennis at some stages but won just by fighting. Most of the British girls get to a good position and then lose because they just can't seem to have the mentality to get the win

·
Registered
817 Posts
Since henman there was a big collapse until murray, but in women's tennis it's just a lost case... what courts do you usually start to play on in GB? if many start on grass maybe this could be the problem... i don't really know the situation in the british tennis mentality, so it's hard to figure something out. I mean, in poland, there was noone for a very long time, until domachowska, now radwanska and we see a couple of young girls coming out, there was also kubot a polish guy who almost got to top 100 last year( now he is just getting worse and worse though). It seems that when there is one person there is suddenly this jump of others, maybe that's what the british tennis is waiting for?

·
Art & Futures
20,926 Posts
Too much money spent in the wrong places. For too many years we have been developing artificial grass courts which are rarely used on the ITF tour. Most of our girls also seem to have a fear of winning and do not possess the ability to fight when they are not playing well. When Amelie took on Maria last year at Wimbledon she didn't play her best tennis at some stages but won just by fighting. Most of the British girls get to a good position and then lose because they just can't seem to have the mentality to get the win
y is that

·
Registered
150 Posts
My take is the U.K.,just like the United States have the talent and atheletiscm but the culture of modern day players especially here in the U.S. is alot different than the past. The United States use to be the biggest force in tennis (men and women)in the world. This is not so anymore. My guess is the mentality of the modern day players have changed in the U.S.. That hunger and drive to win is not there anymore and the importance of winning is not there anymore because it's not taught to young players anymore. Tennis is mostly mental and I think the coaches nowadays are not teaching these kids about being mentally strong and how to win when your loosing in a match.
Serena I believe will be the last great American player on the womens side. Richard Williams taught her how to be mentally tough and it shows because of her results, she wins.
From what I see, I think the Eastern Europeans will dominate womens tennis. The Americans are as talented but they don't have the fight like the Eastern Europeans.
Another thing that I notice is that alot of American colleges recruit from Easter Europeans countries, the talent pool in the U.S. is weak.

·
Registered
24,901 Posts
I don't think it has much to do with grass courts. I've tried to find ones to play on and its impossible unless you join a fancy club which is a rip off.

I think a lot of it is to do with drive and player base. Less girls play sports in GBR than used to. Girls are getting lazy, not that boys aren't boys just generally are more competative, plus cos of bigger sports like rugby and football tennis is low down. i think last time i saw it was down at 14th on the list of sports.

In the past 12 months there have been huge changes in the LTA, if they don't reap rewards in 5 years time, british tennis is a lost cause.

Things look promising with Naomi Cavaday and we have a few players between 12-15 who look promising but you never know.

Our last big hope Hannah Collin 15 in junior ranks got to 220 in the ranks and retired aged 24 i think.

One of the reasons for the lack of depth in the top 400 is we lost about 7/8 players aged 22-26 around 2002, so suddenly we were left with girls on the way up aged 18-21. ALso we lost the older girl who retired anyway. At the moment. We have 2 players over 25 in the top 500, over time the depth will come but will we get the big player, maybe.

·
Beware Of The Dog, Bitch.
21,902 Posts
The LTA being a complete and utter joke surely has something to do with this.

Tennis is just too expensive for most of the population compared with other more popular sports.

·
Heyyy
22,759 Posts
tennis is too expensive in the uk and people prefer to go to uni and get "a proper job" rather than being a professional athlete
i think we have a lot of talent on the womens side but IMO they seem to be too focused on tactics-that may seem like a strange thing to say but look at the russians they practise for hours just hitting balls, they are so well drilled. our girls do a bit of this a bit of that and arent great in any one thing but average at everything. mental strength is another issue-people say that they are mentally weak cos of funding or whatever-bullshit! i dont know why they cant finish off matches but it aint due to cushy sponsorship

the quality is there, i think british players have been coached the worng way for too long, with the current influx of coaching talent maybe this will change-i hope so

·
Banned
11,012 Posts
In the UK the most successful sporting stars (Beckham, Rooney, Gerrard etc) tend to be those that come from working-class backgrounds. They have more of a desire to succeed at professional sports than the upper classes. Tennis is never going to be a popular sport because it's too expensive and does not appeal to the inner-city kids. If you go to Wimbledon you can feel the snobbery.
And girls really just don't do professional sports in the UK :shrug:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts