1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
19,766 Posts
Maybe they should study how Russia found a whole bunch of skinny women over six feet tall, all who hit flat shots, and had little to no variety. It worked great for that country.

Poor Timmy. He has the weight of England on his tiny shoulders.:sad:

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
"Poor Timmy" nothing! He'll be made if he can pull off a win.

·
Registered
17,731 Posts
Well i think it is rediculous, but I dont think Brits have the drive to compete well in tennis like other countrys do. In this country I think people would rather do athletics or football or cricket or some other mainstream sport rather then play tennis.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dava said:
Well i think it is rediculous, but I dont think Brits have the drive to compete well in tennis like other countrys do. In this country I think people would rather do athletics or football or cricket or some other mainstream sport rather then play tennis.
No. Traditionally Tennis is a Middle Class sport in Britain. The middle-classes have less of the hunger that you need to get right to the top.

What needs to be done is to get more working class people playing tennis at an early age. Schools usually concentrate on Athletics and team sports like football and cricket, so the talent is wasted.

·
Registered
35,843 Posts
Baby steps. British tennis is slowly starting to come together. The British women had their best Wimbledon showing this year since 1989. Keovathong, O'Donoghue, Baltacha, and Janes are all having their best years on tour, and they've got two rising stars in Webley-Smith and O'Brien. On the mens side, they have a couple of promising players in Ian Flanigan and Miles Kashiri (boys finalist at Wimbledon this year.) They went from having nothing to at least having some hope in the last 12 months. It'll take time, but it can be dine.

·
Banned
322 Posts
The LTA are a bunch of divas. they need to get their groove back on the soul train dance floor

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Bradshaw#1 said:
Baby steps. British tennis is slowly starting to come together. The British women had their best Wimbledon showing this year since 1989. Keovathong, O'Donoghue, Baltacha, and Janes are all having their best years on tour, and they've got two rising stars in Webley-Smith and O'Brien. On the mens side, they have a couple of promising players in Ian Flanigan and Miles Kashiri (boys finalist at Wimbledon this year.) They went from having nothing to at least having some hope in the last 12 months. It'll take time, but it can be dine.

Isn't this the constant refrain about how there's always somebody coming along just around the corner? I know it's an old cliche but Henman is despite the system not because of it. I have no problems with Rusedski as a British player but neither did he come through the L.T.A. system. They have eagerly seized on the four girls reaching the second round as a lifeline but the proof will be in where these players are at the end of the year.

I don't think it's just confined to tennis but sport in general in the UK. We really on the whole don't have the drive and will to win. Unlike in many other countries sport is of secondary importance and we are quite happy to lose saying "but didn't we play well".

·
Registered
10,816 Posts
the AELTC need to give 2 million of it's 22 million profit at LEASt to gbtennisgirls.com

at least they know what they are doing and aren't all yes men and give themselves huge bonuses.

we are getting there, slowly.

tennis is stil only the 14th (yes FOURTEENTH) most popular sport for GIRLS. i can't work out the other 13, even rowing, and probably darts are more popular.

probelms is all the schools like team sports coz it encourages social interaction. 1 hate team sports as do most people aged 14-20 coz they get pissed off when other let tehm down.

plus most schools dont have facilities for tennis

the lta is outdated and needs a major overhaul, not from the middle (as in the appointment of david) or from teh bottom (ie the ONE good appointment the LTA has made in Lucie Ahl as head coach at Queens - just look at Melanie South!) but from the top.

get teh council out, adn get in people like Sam Smith, John Lloyd, Andrew Castle

so they were never stars, but they were travelling pro's for many years at all levels (which is very important as top players are often deluded as to what the game of tennis actually is - ie it is not movie premiers and 5 star hotels)

we'll get there, but i'd bet alot of money that

A)it'll be a woman and
B) they'll come from a gbtennigirls or nono-LTA set-up

·
Registered
9 Posts
Here are some future champs right here. LTA take notice of what you've got and nurture them.

BIG RACKET HITS YOUNG PLAYER
BY Joel Campbell
Clarke : no funding or sponsorship deals

No funding for potential Brit Wimbledon winner

HEAR YE, HEAR YE, HEAR YE! Would whoever is responsible for the nurturing of budding tennis talent in this country please stand up?

The Voice of Sport has unearthed an interesting player for you to look at and her name is Yasmin Clarke.

Her sporting CV doesn’t fit into this space as it’s too long, but we can point you in the right direction if you like – just ask!

Clarke is arguably one of the best talents coming through the ranks and, at 13 years of age, she has won pretty much everything.

Well, not everything, but recently she won the Coppa Carlo Stagne D’Alcontres doubles title in Italy and is now preparing to take part in the 14 and under summer cup series, which starts this Thursday, as Great Britain’s number one.

The series will pull together the best players in the world of her age group and she is in with a great chance of winning it.

But hindering her progress is the need for constant financial assistance from her family.

Although dad Errol is more than willing to facilitate his daughter’s needs, he is mystified when he hears people in the British game moan about the lack of young talent when they won’t support what’s right under their noses.

Errol told the Voice of Sport: “Yas is very excited about going out to the summer series. She is really looking forward to it.

“With regard to sponsorship or funding we have heard nothing. We’re waiting to hear something from Ariel, having written to them recently. Yas is their current champion, two years running at two different ages, so we’ll wait and see what happens.”

There seems to be a general reluctance to bring this young lady on – the question is why. LESSONS

Some observers have suggested that because Clarke has a coach and lessons given to her, she should count herself lucky.

But is that how other potential world-beating British talent is treated? You might rather think that everything possible should be done to help this young flower flourish.

The Derby-born player will doubtless grace the courts of Wimbledon one day and might even win it in the not-too-distant future – but she will need more help from the tennis bigwigs to get there. So, could they please stand up and be counted now?

Becker backs boys

WITH WIMBLEDON just weeks away, the Voice of Sport has unearthed two future jewels for Britain’s wobbly tennis crown.

When you are just 10-years-old and told that you will have what it takes to win Wimbledon in just six years by the only man ever to accomplish such a feat, you listen.

That was the verdict that three-time Wimbledon winner Boris Becker reached when he saw Jamie Caprice play for the first time.

In fact, Becker was so impressed with the level of performance displayed by Caprice he immediately gave the youngster tennis gear – including rackets, bags and other bits of paraphernalia – from his then newly established company Volkl.

It would seem that the special gift that Caprice possesses has also rubbed off on his younger brother, Kieron, who is just seven.

The two brothers practice their tennis at the Clissold Park Junior Tennis Club in Hackney and the Westway Tennis Club in Ladbroke Grove. The story of the Caprice brothers isn’t too dissimilar to that of the Williams sisters.

FORGET TIM!
BY Rodney Hinds and Joel Campbell

Yasmin Clarke: young star needs proper funding

The Voice says: It’s time to back the kids

With Wimbledon fortnight now complete, the Voice of Sport is calling on the tennis power brokers in this country to give youth a chance.

The nation’s hopes have been pinned on Tim Henman for a decade with the same result – failure.

Now we implore the Lawn Tennis Association (LTA) to help the many youngsters up and down the country who have the ability, technique and desire to be future Wimbledon champions. CHAMPIONS

Richard Williams, father of Grand Slam winners Venus and Serena, told the Voice of Sport that the future of the game here is in the hands of black youngsters.

He said: “The LTA has allowed this country to go down without a champion. Britain has not had a champion since Virginia Wade in 1977, yet they have all these fine private clubs.

“But you don’t have anyone from the ghetto there. So where do they expect the champions to come from?

“If they’ve waited this long for champions to come out of these clubs and they haven’t done so, the talent has to be on the other side of the tracks.

“If I can produce two girls out of the ghetto, do you mean to tell me that all of England can’t produce one? Something is dreadfully wrong.

“People in the ghetto have been hustling for so long. If you just give them a chance, some of them will take advantage of it. If you get enough of them out of the ghetto you can develop champions for the next 25 years. It is only fair that, if you have the greatest tournament in the world in your backyard, you should have someone in the country who can win it.”

The Voice of Sport has long campaigned for help for young people in the game – such as Derby-born Yasmin Clarke, 13, who has won titles against players in their twenties. TRUMPET

And we have blown the trumpet hard for the London-born Caprice brothers, Jamie, 11, and Kieran, 8, who were endorsed by Boris Becker.

Then there is Marshall Osei-Tutu of Essex, winner of the Ariel Tennis Search.

These are just a few of the youngsters out there who need unconditional support. If £40 million can be found for a retractable roof for use one month of the year, surely cash can be found to support the stars of tomorrow – ghetto or not.

·
Registered
7,026 Posts
JollyRoger said:
They need 10 Henman's a year? You mean having 1 isn't bad enough? :eek:
.....Sue Barker would have a cardiac arrest ten times more than normal.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm afraid the British tennis establshment is too hidebound to adapt or change anything significant.

Tennis needs to be out there in the primary schools as a serious sport, rivalling the team games that are far easier to organise. I wish I'd had the option to play tennis at school. Most people actually hate being forced into team games at school, and this then puts them off sport of all kinds. but it would need a major revolution to provide the facilities in most schools to give kids the option of tennis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts