Tennis Forum banner

81 - 100 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Well, as most of them are seeded in Fukuoka, they couldn't meet early, but they are meeting as early as possible.

(1)Naomi Broady (GBR) v Ayano Shimizu (JPN)
Abigail Tere-Apisah (PNG) v Chihiro Muramatsu (JPN)
Haruka Kaji (JPN) v Tammi Patterson (AUS)
(5)Katie Boulter (GBR) v (wc)Yuki Naito (JPN)

(3)Su Jeong Jang (KOR) v Q
Momoko Kobori (JPN) v (wc)Naho Sato (JPN)
Ivana Jorovic (SRB) v Hiroko Kuwata (JPN)
(7)Junri Namigata (JPN) v Jacqueline Cako (USA)

(8)Laura Robson (GBR) v Katy Dunne (GBR)
Amra Sadikovic (SUI) v Shiho Akita (JPN)
Kyoka Okamura (JPN) v Miyabi Inoue (JPN)
(4)Gabriella Taylor (GBR) v Ksenia Lykina (RUS)

(6)Miharu Imanishi (JPN) v (wc)Misa Eguchi (JPN)
Q v Q
Asia Muhammad (USA) v Q
(2)Arina Rodionova (AUS) v (wc)Mei Yamaguchi (JPN)

Laura v Katy D R1. Gabi in the same quarter. Naomi and Katie S share another quarter.

Tara has reached the final round of qualies, but there are no qualie spots in either of the British quarters, so if she qualifies, she'll slot in elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Well, as most of them are seeded in Fukuoka, they couldn't meet early, but they are meeting as early as possible.

(1)Naomi Broady (GBR) v Ayano Shimizu (JPN)
Abigail Tere-Apisah (PNG) v Chihiro Muramatsu (JPN)
Haruka Kaji (JPN) v Tammi Patterson (AUS)
(5)Katie Boulter (GBR) v (wc)Yuki Naito (JPN)

(3)Su Jeong Jang (KOR) v Q
Momoko Kobori (JPN) v (wc)Naho Sato (JPN)
Ivana Jorovic (SRB) v Hiroko Kuwata (JPN)
(7)Junri Namigata (JPN) v Jacqueline Cako (USA)

(8)Laura Robson (GBR) v Katy Dunne (GBR)
Amra Sadikovic (SUI) v Shiho Akita (JPN)
Kyoka Okamura (JPN) v Miyabi Inoue (JPN)
(4)Gabriella Taylor (GBR) v Ksenia Lykina (RUS)

(6)Miharu Imanishi (JPN) v (wc)Misa Eguchi (JPN)
Q v Q
Asia Muhammad (USA) v Q
(2)Arina Rodionova (AUS) v (wc)Mei Yamaguchi (JPN)

Laura v Katy D R1. Gabi in the same quarter. Naomi and Katie S share another quarter.

Tara has reached the final round of qualies, but there are no qualie spots in either of the British quarters, so if she qualifies, she'll slot in elsewhere.
That's not too bad, should be more likely now to guarantee one or two semi finalists rather than ending up with 0. You'd think Gabi should be able to come through her mini section and reach the SF.

Bit of a shame for Katy to draw another seed from her position on the entry list, but it's a lot more winnable than Nara last week. Katie is 1/33 to beat her young Japanese WC opponent who isn't in great form.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
That's not too bad, should be more likely now to guarantee one or two semi finalists rather than ending up with 0.

Dunno about guarantee, just yet, but I agree to some extent - If they are all separated, you have a higher chance of loads of success, but equally, a higher chance of complete floppage. If they all get to the round where they can meet and duke it out, I'll be happy.

Also, don't know how to call the Robson-Dunne R1.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Dunno about guarantee, just yet, but I agree to some extent - If they are all separated, you have a higher chance of loads of success, but equally, a higher chance of complete floppage. If they all get to the round where they can meet and duke it out, I'll be happy.

Also, don't know how to call the Robson-Dunne R1.
Yeah, that came out wrong. We've seen Broady lose to qualifiers ranked in the 600's and WC Juniors who have just turned 17 in this little Asian hard swing, both much lower ranked than her Japanese 1st round opponent. I just meant in the situation should all the 8 seeds achieve par and get to the quarter final stage (Laura is obviously by no means a given at all), then I think I'd rather have a Brit vs Brit, Brit vs Brit, Non Brit vs Non Brit, Non Brit vs Non Brit line up than say Robson vs Jang again, Boulter vs Rodionova etc. and while there could be a chance for an all Brit SF line up, it could just as easily end up with none.

It looked like Gabi's match with Lykina wasn't too straightforward last week so she may well struggle again and Naomi's opponent is the next highest ranked after Katy D. Looks a gift for Katie B though which is good after last weeks early exit.

I think I'd just about favour Katy D in that one and effectively take over as the 8th seed. Neither in stunning form though, Laura more so through injury.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Wow, looks like Katie B had a real scare vs her 16 YO WC. She won 4-6 6-4 6-4 but was down a break in the second and third sets, 1-3 and 0-3 respectively.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Overall, a fairly decent day for the Brits at 25k level.

Japan - wins for Broady and Dunne got the better of Robson. Tara Moore had a great win, but Gabi losing to the opponent she beat last week was disappointing.

In China, Dart comfortably beat her qualifier opponent, but EWS lost in straight sets to hers.

In Korea, Maia came through in straight sets and Alicia Barnett backed up her win over Freya with a great 3 sets win.

And in Spain, Katie S beat her WC opponent to set up a QF with the top seed Bouzkova.

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
The Brits are doing well in Japan! :cheer: Broady and Boulter win their matches to set up a QF clash (that should be a good match!). Dunne is also through to the QFs and will play Lykina.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Who get's the Wimbly wildcards?

7 WCs to give.

3 to the 100K winners.

4 left to distribute between Broady, Taylor, Boulter, Dart, Dunne, Robson and Swan.

Broady, Taylor and probably Boulter essentially have one.
Robson and Swan seem out of it.
1 to give between Dart and Dunne...

Also interesting to note the last few years they've only given 6 out.

·
Milk and honey
3,232 Posts

7 WCs to give.

3 to the 100K winners.

4 left to distribute between Broady, Taylor, Boulter, Dart, Dunne, Robson and Swan.

The most likely scenario is: Broady, Taylor and Boulter get one, as well as Dart probably. Dunne gets a QWC if needed, and Swan/Robson will both get QWCs. Upon reflection I really think this is it for Laura for the Wimbledon Wildcards (this year, at least).

Also feel like they'll give a QWC to Maia Lumsden, Tara Moore and Freya Christie. If they can afford to do any more (I forgot the limit or not of QWC) I'd like to see Francesca Jones get one.

·
Registered
4,132 Posts

7 WCs to give.

3 to the 100K winners.

Have those figures been confirmed anywhere about using 7 and 3 of them going to the 100k winners bar Southsea?

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
I'd say Broady, Taylor and Boulter were absolute locks. I had hoped they might use 5 this year and give one to Dart and Dunne. I think they would go for Dart in that scenario, but she is defending SF points in Surbiton whereas Dunne doesn't have much to defend so may pass her when it comes to decisions.

It's good that they are using them, but 3 for ITFs seem excessive especially as these 100ks get good fields with most seeds already in the main Wimbledon draw. Last year the semi finalists in Surbiton were Dodin, Magda and 2 Brits, so what do you do there? Give that WC to a QF?

I was expecting 4 or 5 local players - 5 if Dunne picks up a few wins, Bouchard and then the best ITF grass performer not already in the main draw.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Surely they have up to 8 MDWCs and 8 QWCs to give, if there are enough deserving candidates, just in recent years, there have hardly been enough Brits ranked high enough to warrant consideration, whereas this year, we have plenty in the 100-250 ranking bracket, several of whom have not previously received multiple MDWCs.

Most QWCs go to Brits, and 2 places are reserved for play-off winners, but play-off runners-up sometimes also get one, if there are spare slots.

Main draw wildcards will probably be reserved for the Grass ITF100 winners, but often they are not all needed.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Last 10 years:

2008: 8 MDWC (4 Brit, 4 foreign), 8 QWC (All Brit)
2009: 8 MDWC (5 Brit, 3 foreign), 8 QWC (6 Brit, 2 foreign)
2010: 7 MDWC (4 Brit, 3 foreign), 8 QWC (6 Brit, 2 foreign)
2011: 7 MDWC (5 Brit, 2 foreign), 8 QWC (6 Brit, 2 foreign)
2012: 7 MDWC (3 Brit, 4 foreign), 8 QWC (All Brit)
2013: 8 MDWC (5 Brit, 3 foreign), 8 QWC (All Brit)
2014: 8 MDWC (3 Brit, 5 foreign), 7 QWC (All Brit)
2015: 5 MDWC (3 Brit, 2 foreign), 8 QWC (All Brit)
2016: 6 MDWC (3 Brit, 3 foreign), 8 QWC (7 Brit, 1 foreign)
2017: 6 MDWC (4 Brit, 2 foreign), 8 QWC (7 Brit, 1 foreign)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Number of main draw wildcards previously received by current British players without direct entry to the main draw:

Laura Robson 7
Naomi Broady 5
Tara Moore 3
Katie Swan 1
Katie Boulter 1

Number of qualifying wildcards previously received by current British players not in main draw:

Emily Webley Smith 6 (inc 1 as play-off winner, 1 as RU)
Katy Dunne 6
Lisa Whybourn 5 (inc 1 as play-off winner)
Gabriella Taylor 4 (inc 1 as play-off winner)
Tara Moore 4
Freya Christie 3
Samantha Murray 2
Katie Swan 2
Katie Boulter 2 (inc 1 as play-off RU)
Harriet Dart 2
Maia Lumsden 2 (both as play-off winner)
Anna Smith 2
Amanda Carreras 2
Eden Silva 1 (as play-off winner)

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
https://www.lta.org.uk/globalassets/play/professional-development/documents/lta-wimbledon-wild-card-recommendation-policy.pdf

I wonder if 4 (vi) could bite Broady on the bum if there are more worthy candidates than WCs available. Especially as she will also have a poor score on 4 (iv) and 4 (v).

She's 28 years old, refuses to play Fed Cup, and has received 5 MDWC, 4 QWC, and only ever won one Q-match and 1 main draw match.

Normally, this hasn't harmed her, because we have had hardly any players worthy of consideration.

This year, players with results that would have got them WCs in previous years may not all get them.

·
Registered
4,444 Posts
Presumably, Serena enters with her PR and needs no WC.

Things have gone a bit quiet on the Marion Bartoli comeback front, but if she does come back for the grass court season, and if she shows a professional level of tennis in grass tune-up events, she'd deserve one.

Those are two big IFs, though.

Other than Wimby, there will presumably be WCs for Nottingham, Birmingham, Eastbourne, Surbiton, Manchester, Ilkley and Southsea, valuable in themselves, but especially for impressing the Wimby WC committee.

Performances in Eastbourne and Southsea are too late to be considered in Wimby WC decisions, of course.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Overall, a fairly decent day for the Brits at 25k ITF level.

Japan - wins for Broady and Dunne got the better of Robson. Tara Moore had a great win, but Gabi losing to the opponent she beat last week was disappointing.

In China, Dart comfortably beat her qualifier opponent, but EWS lost in straight sets to hers.

In Korea, Maia came through in straight sets and Alicia Barnett backed up her win over Freya with a great 3 sets win.

And in Spain, Katie S beat her WC opponent to set up a QF with the top seed Bouzkova.
Barnett's win was over Sasha Panova, a former world #71 who recently won an ITF $15k (aka has been coming back into some decent form), so a very good win for her indeed! She fell today in her R16, but it was close (6-4 6-4) against a seeded player. Lumsden is through to QFs.

As already mentioned, there's guaranteed to be a Brit in the Fukouka 60k semis, with Broady v Boulter in one of the QFs. Moore went out in three in R16 to Ar. Rodionova, but Dunne is also still in contention for a SF spot.

Dart is one of all eight seeds to make the quarters in Luan, where she'll face Karman Thandi in her QF. It's so nice to see multiple Brits having some level of success week-on-week! :cheer:

·
Registered
4,132 Posts
Barnett's win was over Sasha Panova, a former world #71 who recently won an ITF $15k (aka has been coming back into some decent form), so a very good win for her indeed! She fell today in her R16, but it was close (6-4 6-4) against a seeded player.

As already mentioned, there's guaranteed to be a Brit in the Fukouka 60k semis, with Broady v Boulter in one of the QFs. Moore went out in three in R16 to Ar. Rodionova, but Dunne is also still in contention for a SF spot.

Dart is one of all eight seeds to make the quarters in Jin'an, where she'll face Karman Thandi in her QF. It's so nice to see multiple Brits having some level of success week-on-week! :cheer:
It is indeed, it's just a shame that 99% of the matches have reached a conclusion by the time we wake up. At leat the European swing is entering full swing :)

81 - 100 of 184 Posts