Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
Good. They've played a lot recently, going deep everywhere. Keeping their powder dry for the ranking tournaments.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Jodie Burrage and Fran Jones have both made 15k singles quarter finals this week. Fran in Greece and Jodie I think in Egypt (or somewhere in Middle East). Both have their QF matches tomorrow, where Fran is a big favourite and Jodie an 11/10 slight underdog, so a chance of further progression there.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Bit of a crazy entry list in Canberra - first acceptance is top 100, and several players in the top 150, but last MD direct acceptance is outwith the top 500:

ITF Tennis - Pro Circuit - $60,000 Canberra - 19 March - 25 March 2018
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_ACT_Clay_Court_International

Wiki incorrectly had Gabi down as a seed, which would have been a massive boost as all those higher ranked players would have been avoided until the QFs, now she should get 1 of them in the first or second round. That said, it will be a good test to see where she is at and most of them would be beatable. Apart from Aiava, who can be great on her day, you wouldn't be too scared about the others.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_ACT_Clay_Court_International

Wiki incorrectly had Gabi down as a seed, which would have been a massive boost as all those higher ranked players would have been avoided until the QFs, now she should get 1 of them in the first or second round. That said, it will be a good test to see where she is at and most of them would be beatable. Apart from Aiava, who can be great on her day, you wouldn't be too scared about the others.
I think (and hope) Wiki is right - the acceptance list is based on rankings a few weeks ago, the seedings will be based on rankings this week.

·
Registered
5,809 Posts
Emilie Lindh Gallagher is on fire in Akko, reaching the semifinal. I think it's only her second ranking result, so no WTA ranking as yet.

Sent from my Mi A1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
You've got to say Gifu has largely been disappointing for the British sextet overall. The draw obviously wasn't the kindest and meant that paths were obstructed, but you'd only say that Dart has done better than par.

Should hopefully be a bit better next week as although down to 60ks, the events do look a bit weaker - Naomi, Gabi, Katie B and Laura are seeds in Japan and Harriet is a seed in China where the 8th seed is ranked in the 300's.

·
Registered
4,463 Posts
]Should hopefully be a bit better next week as although down to 60ks, the events do look a bit weaker - Naomi, Gabi, Katie B and Laura are seeds in Japan and Harriet is a seed in China where the 8th seed is ranked in the 300's.
The entry list for Luan looks a lot weaker than Fukuoka, for the same grade of tournament. Mostly domestic players, and even EWS has snuck into the main draw. It may well turn out that Harriet has made the more profitable choice by travelling to China.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
The entry list for Luan looks a lot weaker than Fukuoka, for the same grade of tournament. Mostly domestic players, and even EWS has snuck into the main draw. It may well turn out that Harriet has made the more profitable choice by travelling to China.
Yeah, hopefully. I know Broady, Taylor and Boulter lost to lower ranked players last week, but with 4 seeded in Japan, it should make their paths a bit more straightforward this time and it will avoid any of them playing compatriots or top seeds. Katy D may well do again I suppose, but the other 4 (maybe bar Laura) should have a good shot of reaching the QFs.

It was a shame that at least 2 of Dart, Boulter and Taylor were guaranteed to be out after the 2nd round and that out of all of them, it was Naomi (the highest ranked) who got the 1/80 shot and effectively a walking bye into the 2nd round.

61 - 80 of 184 Posts