Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 184 Posts

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Isn't it great to have these British 10Ks?

Eden Richardson earns a WTA ranking in Shrewsbury. (She's off to Louisiana State University next "fall", btw.)

EDIT: Ella Taylor also earned her ranking. I checked her results and overlooked her third score. Oops. Sorry. By coincidence, Ella is ex-LSU.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Isn't it great to have these British 10Ks?

Eden Richardson earns a WTA ranking in Shrewsbury. (She's off to Louisiana State University next "fall", btw.)

EDIT: Ella Taylor also earned her ranking. I checked her results and overlooked her third score. Oops. Sorry. By coincidence, Ella is ex-LSU.
I try to record every rankings' debut here, so are Ella and Eden the last British women to enter the WTA list? Not one debutante this year, I think. (There are one or two who have regained rankings.)

Of course last year we had four gaining rankings during the final British 10K (in old money) swing; maybe someone will come from nowhere this time around.

Otherwise we're probably relying on Alice Gillan jetting off to another continent and getting drawn against a local wild card in R1 in the next few weeks, before her two counting scores fall off.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I try to record every rankings' debut here, so are Ella and Eden the last British women to enter the WTA list? Not one debutante this year, I think. (There are one or two who have regained rankings.)

Of course last year we had four gaining rankings during the final British 10K (in old money) swing; maybe someone will come from nowhere this time around.

Otherwise we're probably relying on Alice Gillan jetting off to another continent and getting drawn against a local wild card in R1 in the next few weeks, before her two counting scores fall off.
You seem to be very knowledgeable of the current British scene. Any bias of favourite players aside, who would you consider to have the most potential out of any Brit over 16 to be able to make it say into the WTA top 50 or comfortably into the top 100 in the coming years (if any)?

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
You seem to be very knowledgeable of the current British scene. Any bias of favourite players aside, who would you consider to have the most potential out of any Brit over 16 to be able to make it say into the WTA top 50 or comfortably into the top 100 in the coming years (if any)?
I'd like to deny that. And I certainly wouldn't want to claim any insight into how careers will develop.

Anyhow, I'm going to be very conservative. Ignoring those who've already been top 100, I'd say in descending order Swan, Boulter, Lumsden, Taylor, then maybe Burrage, and so on. I wouldn't say any one player is likely to break the top 50. (But then I wouldn't have given Konta much chance 30 months ago.) Some here have begun to give up on Swan, but I can be slow to see the writing on the wall, and I still have hope. I wouldn't give any of the 2001 or later juniors a better chance than the ones I've listed--the juniors are not the best in the world for their age, and while they have more scope to improve than the ones already on the ITF pro circuit, that's outweighed by them having further to go.

If you knock your age limit down to 14, Fischer would jump straight to the top of the potential list, though she too hasn't had a great year.

·
Registered
4,137 Posts
I'd like to deny that. And I certainly wouldn't want to claim any insight into how careers will develop.

Anyhow, I'm going to be very conservative. Ignoring those who've already been top 100, I'd say in descending order Swan, Boulter, Lumsden, Taylor, then maybe Burrage, and so on. I wouldn't say any one player is likely to break the top 50. (But then I wouldn't have given Konta much chance 30 months ago.) Some here have begun to give up on Swan, but I can be slow to see the writing on the wall, and I still have hope. I wouldn't give any of the 2001 or later juniors a better chance than the ones I've listed--the juniors are not the best in the world for their age, and while they have more scope to improve than the ones already on the ITF pro circuit, that's outweighed by them having further to go.

If you knock your age limit down to 14, Fischer would jump straight to the top of the potential list, though she too hasn't had a great year.
Thanks. Yeah, it's a bit disappointing. Boulter did very well in the US Open quallies, particularly the second round, but then fell away a bit in the final match with Soylu. Then yesterday she was 3-0 up against Kiick but then went on to lose 12 of the next 14 games to lose 6-3, 6-2 - not brilliant signs. It's just a shame that there doesn't seem to be anyone coming through, and the best bet does look to be the British links route like Norrie in the men's and Konta and hope that they choose to represent GB if they have lived here X amount of years or have a British parent or something.

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Thanks. Yeah, it's a bit disappointing. Boulter did very well in the US Open quallies, particularly the second round, but then fell away a bit in the final match with Soylu. Then yesterday she was 3-0 up against Kiick but then went on to lose 12 of the next 14 games to lose 6-3, 6-2 - not brilliant signs. It's just a shame that there doesn't seem to be anyone coming through, and the best bet does look to be the British links route like Norrie in the men's and Konta and hope that they choose to represent GB if they have lived here X amount of years or have a British parent or something.
Well, you could do worse than invest in 16 year old Jo Garland. She's more British than anything else really, though she represents Taiwan. (Playing junior Fed Cup for them this week.) More likely than not, if she does make a serious tilt at the pros, she'll switch her nationality back (if only because there's more money in being British).

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
I just searched the forum for "Borthwick" and was surprised there were no hits at all. Daneika Borthwick was one of our top juniors around the turn of the decade and played a few ITF pro events, but I guess her heyday was during a quiet period for this forum.

She went into the US college system and hadn't played a pro event since 2014 before this summer, when she's played doubles in a couple of US 25Ks. In the first, she lost in the first round of qualies (an achievement of a sort, as most iTF doubles don't have qualies), but she's just won her second, in Redding, with Veselinovic, beating Harriet Dart and partner in the final.

Probably just a busman's holiday, as she seems to be trying to make a career as a coach: Daneika Borthwick Joins Women's Tennis Staff - Wake Forest Women's Tennis - WakeForestSports.com

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Alice Gillan has won her first round match in the Sri Lankan 15K. That will be her third counting tournament, so she will enter the WTA ranking list in two weeks' time (though her earlier points will fall off in a month, so it may be a short stay).

·
Registered
5,799 Posts
Tiffany William has entered the rankings. I completely overlooked this; I hadn't realised she'd picked up any points at all, but she's had a couple of ranking results for a while and picked up her third in Lagos.

Sent from my Trunk 1 using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 184 Posts