Tennis Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Great summary Emilio ! x

Maybe Sarah Beth Grey for QWC too?
I'm looking at Grey's results and can't even begin to imagine a reason that her name should be brought up here, let alone that she'd actually get any sort of WC.

One 10K QF to her name this year and a whole bunch of losses in R1 and qualies at that level, really?

·
Registered
37,317 Posts
Moore and Robson for sure, hopefully Swan doesn't get one but she probably will. Unless Christie snags a win somehwere they won't give her one.

·
Registered
10,730 Posts
I think they pick themselves. A maximum of 8 across MD and Qualies can be announced in first stage, so I think we are looking at:

MD:

Laura
Tara
Katie S

Qualifying:

Carreras
Dunne
Christie

I'd be tempted to give Dunne, and even Christie (particularly if she sees of Zheng today) the nod as I think they could cope with it, and would also spare Gabi and Lisa (and maybe Harriet if she puts in a decent performance in Surbiton, and of course Harriet missed qualies last year because Eastbourne messed her first round match scheduling) pre-qualifying which should really be for the lower ranked and/or old-timers.

I would definitely soften the criteria because with 3 good girls in by rank, plus Laura, we have a bit of room to put some other girls in without them getting the usual pressure/attention on wildcards that usually happens. If Dunne or Christie were to lose 2 and 4 to someone ranked 80-110 no one will really blink an eyelid this year.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Great summary Emilio ! x

Maybe Sarah Beth Grey for QWC too?
I'm looking at Grey's results and can't even begin to imagine a reason that her name should be brought up here, let alone that she'd actually get any sort of WC.

One 10K QF to her name this year and a whole bunch of losses in R1 and qualies at that level, really?
Lol I think I just got excited she took a set of Barty and Frech.

·
Registered
15,726 Posts
I know that's thread for British WCs, but what about MDWC for Zhuk? Is it confirmed?

AMDWC for Eastbourne 50k winner still exists? Will Moore receive that since Riske got directly to MD?

·
Registered
37,317 Posts
I know that's thread for British WCs, but what about MDWC for Zhuk? Is it confirmed?

AMDWC for Eastbourne 50k winner still exists? Will Moore receive that since Riske got directly to MD?
Would be very surprised if Sonya got a MDWC. QWC is much more likely.

·
Registered
52,292 Posts
oh, yes, I thought maybe a QWC since noone mentionned her at all in this thread ;)
didn't realize the thread title is for MD WC only ;)

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
With grass court results so far, Moore is now the most deserving. Robson will get one. They may give Swan one. Christie got a WC into Nottingham MD so I am sure that means she is in the frame for at least a QWC already. If Carreras is skipping the grass season before Wimbledon, she won't get anything more than a QWC.

A lot will depend how results go in Nottingham, Birmingham, Surbiton and Ilkley and how many non-British contenders appear. Surbiton will be won by someone not in the main draw for sure so that is likely to be a WC recipient. Of the other Brits, I would put Dunne and Taylor as front runners for QWCs at least. Watch out for the Eastbourne WCs - a good indicator of MDWCs for Wimbledon.

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
So far I would think Robson, Moore and Swan for MDWC.

Christie, Dunne, Taylor, Whybourne and Boulter for QWC. If Christie had beat Saisai I think she would have been a serious contender for MD but qualies probably is more realistic at this stage. Is Carreras even bothered? If she just wants to show up for the money then I would make her play the play-off personally.

EWS, Dart, Lumsden, Murray et al to fight it out in the play-off.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
I think Christie and Swan are both borderline between QWC and MDWC

Katie has more long-term potential. She's 17, and ranked 433, but has only moderately improved her ranking from 2015 year-end (514). She has not played on grass yet this year.

Freya is 18, and ranked 314, which really is a dramatic improvement on her 2015 year-end ranking (555), so seems to be making big strides in the right direction. She didn't play last week, but made her WTA debut this week, which wasn't that impressive. But she and Laura pushed the Pliskies very hard in dubs, so she's had a chance to get a feel for competitive play on grass.

Really, I think they are both more suitable for qualie wild cards at the moment, but we have so few UK candidates for MDWCs, and I can't think of many obvious international candidates, either.

In the absence of better candidates, I expect the winner of Surbiton will get a MDWC, and I suppose the winner of Ilkley, too. If the finalists of any of the WTA grass tournaments of this fortnight are ranked too low for direct acceptance, then those will be in the picture too, but that is much less likely to happen. Not impossible, though.

·
Witthöft stan
17,084 Posts
Why would Swan get a MDWC? I like her and think she has potential, but is this one of those cases where "she is British so she will get one" type of deals? If she hasn't played on grass at all this year, does she deserve one? I don't know too too much about her though, so she could've done something to warrant her one easily.

·
Registered
4,471 Posts
Why would Swan get a MDWC? I like her and think she has potential, but is this one of those cases where "she is British so she will get one" type of deals? If she hasn't played on grass at all this year, does she deserve one? I don't know too too much about her though, so she could've done something to warrant her one easily.
Pretty much that reason, plus lack of viable alternatives, plus she's pretty, had a good junior career, won a match in qualies last year, and got quite a lot of media attention for being the youngest Brit ever to play Fed Cup, and winning her first two matches.

For me, by far the biggest negative is, as you say, she hasn't played on grass at all this year. I don't know if she is playing in Ilkley or Birmingham next week, or in Eastbourne - she would need a wildcard to do so.

·
Registered
37,317 Posts
Swan has made a variety of attempts to Vulture this year with very little success. She just lost in R1 of RG Juniors to a 14 year old so her form is definitely in question. I don't believe in giving MDWCs unless a player has a good chance to actually win a match. Robson is a different case given her previous results, and Moore definitely has a shot to beat a variety of players in the MD. I wouldn't be surprised to see only 4 or maybe 5 WCs used this year. If I recall correctly they only used 5 last year.

·
Registered
4,459 Posts
I agree that some wild cards may not be used. The junior winner is too low ranked and inexperienced above $10k level; all players reaching the second week of RG are already in the main draw; there are no Brits currently ranked between 100 and 250. It depends how the grass results turn out for the Brits and non-Brits not in the main draw - otherwise there will be some going to the 'next in' players.

·
Registered
37,317 Posts
There really shouldn't be 8 WCs at Slams anymore.

·
Registered
4,320 Posts
If one of the three brits makes it through the bottom quarter of Surbiton thats Taylor, Appleton, Murray and Oudin they could be in with a chance.
Particularly Murray who is on the return from injury.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts