Tennis Forum banner

101 - 120 of 126 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
It goes without saying but this was just her EIGHTH match since January 2019........cleary there's going to be some ring rust. She just needs to get in as many matches as possible. 8 in an entire year span isn't going to cut it.

·
Registered
3,457 Posts
Lewis...you clearly don't know how loyal I am. I'm here until the end...no matter how sad or glorious. I am ride or die. I do love Ostapenko and after Masha, I'm glad I have her to watch in the coming years. She's my second and I guess I may just be a masochist because she has a game that causes heart attacks too.

I have a lot of loyalty and faith and belief in what is possible. I'm an Aquarius so that's how it be.
Ostapenko is always unpredictable but I found her game a joy to watch. Serve sucks for sure, but her groundstrokes are such a thing of beauty and come second to none. Her movement is underrated also. And her facial expression are a spectacle on itself.

Astrology is the socially accepted flat earth movement. Are you a guy or a girl btw?

·
Registered
605 Posts
I just don't know what looks worst... this forum's face-lift or Sharapova's game?
Hmm, probably the second. But the face-lift looks awful too, definitely!

Masha deserves a special WC for AO, a WCFBU = "Wild Card For a Beat Up"!

·
Registered
855 Posts
What is that nose-strip supposed to help you for? I've seen it in other athletes too. Does it make you breath easier, or sth?
I wear it to sleep...can breathe much better through the nose. Otherwise I'd have to mouth-breathe to sleep and no one wants that.
Many racehorses use nasal strips on raceday. A lot do perform better with it, so it's quite likely that it would work for human athletes too.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
I like you, but I think you’re playing naive on purpose.
1. She hasn’t beaten Barty since 2018, and she last beat Halep in 2017. She got embarrassed and booed last time she played Barty in Australia.
2. Beating Sabalenka and Pliskova isn’t too big a deal. She needs to prove she can beat the best players like Osaka and Andreescu.
3. Entering all these tourneys with wildcards has got to be demoralizing.
4. Taking up these wildcards wastes opportunities for better players who could actually use them to improve their rankings.
5. The draw may have been fixed for her to play Serena, but at least Maria can say she lost to a superior player. Losing to qualifiers is just embarrassing.
6. The democrats need to come for Trump, and the Republicans do too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
She lost to Osaka R1 IW 2018. Maybe a rematch...

·
Registered
8,595 Posts
Sad result for Maria but Brady is no pushover and losing in a 3rd set TB is a sure sign that she's light on matches. Also Elina, Aryna, Belinda, etc, all lost their 1st match of the season, not a huge deal. Important that she stays healthy and just keeps improving. Awesome win for Jen!

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why do nose-strip wearing, double-faulting, arm-massaging, part-time tennis players think they can just waltz in, and beat younger, fresher full-time players with match practice as if they are in their glory days of yesteryear?
What in your expert opinion is she supposed to do? and before you pull the ITFs/qualies card, she would still find younger and match fit players there. She has to start - and play - somewhere. Retirement then? that's a decision up to her, not you.

·
Registered
32,821 Posts
She has a WC. Did you see the twitter post? She sounds more than confident she has the WC.

D

Huh? The match was the last match of the day while the ATP cup had a blockbuster going on on center court. The attendance was low all day. Sharapova's match had more press and page views than Serena. Try to prove her irrelevance again and I'll rebuttal every time.
Please tell me you're not talking about page views on TF making a player relevant.

·
Registered
6,627 Posts
What in your expert opinion is she supposed to do? and before you pull the ITFs/qualies card, she would still find younger and match fit players there. She has to start - and play - somewhere. Retirement then? that's a decision up to her, not you.

All her life decisions are dependant on her, you and I have no control over it. Just like you have your opinion over her tennis career, and I have mine. She played 8 matches or so last year, in her first match this year, she was already massaging her arm under the towel (whether it's an injury, a stiff muscle or the like, we don't know), however her injuries are persistent and preventing her from doing her utmost best. The other day she posted a photo of her in a hospital bed with an IV as placeholder for just incase, to get that excuse card ready. Surely she has surrounded herself with people who can advise her to smell the coffee or find alternative diabetes (or heart) medication, cause clearly the lack of a substitute is playing havoc on her performance and body breaking down.

·
Banned
17,826 Posts
Also Elina, Aryna, Belinda, etc, all lost their 1st match of the season, not a huge deal.
Aryna did not lose her first match of the season.

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Disappointing loss for beautiful Maria :cry:

Another disappointing early exit. And painful to lose 6-7 in 3rd set.

Actually I am glad she lost.
Because in this mediocre form she surely would have lost to #1 Barty again.
And probably in 2 embarrassing short sets.

Such a good last point of the match - until Maria netted the volley ?

Brady seemed to be serving strong and then dominated with aggressive, powerful groundstrokes.
She is on fire the whole tournament (lost no set in Quali) and she is a good player. Future Top 20 I think.

Where has Maria´s power gone???
Not only today. I mean in general in the last months and years.
At her best she seemed to hit a lot harder than now (for example US Open final vs Henin).

Maria used to overpower players. Not anymore. Or only a few ...
Brady and many other players seem to hit as hard or harder than Maria nowadays :confused:

The lack of power is a big problem.
Maria built her success around her powerful groundstrokes and her strong serve.
And both have gone or become a lot worse.

8 Aces, 11 DFs. Her serve also has become weaker. Too many DFs ...

She plays too passive. And that is stupid. Because Maria is a bad defender/mover. She must dictate!

Also she looks slower than at her prime. Too slow for WTA nowadays.

Mentally Maria used be amazing, very strong. But since her comeback she is mentally weak.

Hard to stay optimistic. Yes, she is rusty. But come on. I see no hope ...

·
Registered
53,484 Posts
Are these UE stats correct ???
I highly doubt it.

I mean Brady only 3 UEs in a 3-sets-match ?
And Maria only 10 UEs ?

I think the UEs from Brisbane this year are counted wrongly ...
(Sometimes I really wonder who does these UE stats. Did he/she sleep?)

·
Registered
19,026 Posts

·
Registered
53,484 Posts

·
Registered
53,484 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
and yet lost to brady. im over it. when's the last time she beat someone relevant?
Wozniacki in one of her few events last season. She also beat Riske in the middle of her top 20 rise, and that was in Maria’s second to last event. Anywho, Barty just lost to this same Brady...without even winning a set....and Barty is the world number 1.

101 - 120 of 126 Posts