Tennis Forum banner

61 - 80 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
that game on 6-5 was the only service game where Brady had some trouble in 2 sets, Maria on the other hand was nearly to lose serve multiple times and she saved herself with some vintage clutch shots, if there is just one "positive" thing today is that she should have lost this match way before the tie break.
Well momentum is everything in that moment.

If she could make it happen it would have been different but the reality is she didn’t ... next I guess

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
41 Posts
Maria has stated in the post match press conference that she thinks she has a MD wildcard for the AO (Ben Rothenburg on Twitter)

·
CGS
7,579 Posts
All the fighting in the end was so great to see until she hit that drive volley error to start the tiebreak, then 2 consecutive DFs at the end of it. Totally could have won it if she had stayed clutch like in the last few service games.

From her press, it seems like she is still not injured (for now). Let’s see how her body reacts in the next few days, hopefully it is fine because if she’s injured again after one 3-setter after a long break then I don’t know what else to say... If she’s fine, go get some more matches in Kooyong. Surely needs to play more matches to be more match tough and get the confidence back.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
At least her body held up...remember she has barely played the last 12 months she has absolutely no match toughness. Kooyong is a great idea and will benefit yer a lot. It’s not looking great but I haven’t lost hope. That first set showed she can still play decent tennis.

·
Registered
10,757 Posts
Not the start we wanted.
Couldn't watch the match unfortunately, so can't say anything about how she was physically (I mean shoulder, forearm/wrist) and game wise; But maybe that virus that is bothering her is also part of what happened, like the fact she was completely off in the 2nd set if I look at the score line. She even was in hospital 3 days before her match. I saw some tweets saying that Maria looked so pale, blew her nose a lot and that she was shivering.
Well, now time to move on, and hope she will fully recover from that virus in time for the AO.

·
Registered
52,967 Posts
Disappointing loss to Brady :cry:
Another disappointing early exit. And painful to lose 6-7 in 3rd set.

But actually I am glad she lost.
Because in this mediocre form she surely would have lost to #1 Barty again.
And probably in 2 embarrassing short sets.

Hard to stay optimistic.

·
Registered
52,967 Posts
I just watched the WTA highlights on youtube.

Such a good last point of the match - until Maria netted the volley 🤦

Brady seemed to be serving strong and then dominated with aggressive, powerful groundstrokes.
She is on fire the whole tournament (lost no set in Quali) and she is a good player. Future Top 20 I think.

Where has Maria´s power gone???
Not only today. I mean in general in the last months and years.
At her best she seemed to hit a lot harder than now (for example US Open final vs Henin).

Maria used to overpower players. Not anymore. Or only a few ...
Brady and many other players seem to hit as hard or harder than Maria nowadays :confused:

The lack of power is a big problem.
Maria built her success around her powerful groundstrokes and her strong serve.
And both have gone or become a lot worse.

8 Aces, 11 DFs. Her serve also has become weaker. Too many DFs ...

She plays too passive. And that is stupid. Because Maria is a bad defender/mover. She must dictate!

Also she looks slower than at her prime. Too slow for WTA nowadays.

·
Premium Member
27,120 Posts
I think the shoulder and arm injury has reduced some of the power in her game but also the lack of match play. She still plays with decent power tho IMO.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Watched most of the match. I thought she was rather brilliant in the first set. She was controlling rallies with ease and dictating play, hitting consistently to the corners, really playing beautiful tennis. Brady only stayed in the set because of strong serving I thought and she never gave Maria much of a chance on her serve pretty much the whole match.
But all throughout that first set I was thinking that this version of Maria can’t sustain that level for the whole match and it turned out I was right. The double faults started accumulating in the second set and the groundstrokes started misfiring. She got blown away in the second set but that was more because her level completely disappeared in that set while Brady maintained hers.
In the third she showed fighting spirit but she no longer was controlling play like in the first set. She was mostly struggling to hold serve and could only dictate on occasion, as she became more passive, playing too safe at times and too aggressive at other times. Honestly she did well to keep it that close because Brady was the better player in the third set.

I don’t think injuries played a role in that match. She is just struggling with confidence at the moment. She showed in the first set that she can still push around a player like Brady who is not exactly weak herself. But with Maria she will only get the confidence with continuous play and winning some of those matches. So to me the key for her is to stay healthy. She cannot afford another layoff. She needs to play and play and play...

·
Registered
566 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Watched most of the match. I thought she was rather brilliant in the first set. She was controlling rallies with ease and dictating play, hitting consistently to the corners, really playing beautiful tennis. Brady only stayed in the set because of strong serving I thought and she never gave Maria much of a chance on her serve pretty much the whole match.
But all throughout that first set I was thinking that this version of Maria can’t sustain that level for the whole match and it turned out I was right. The double faults started accumulating in the second set and the groundstrokes started misfiring. She got blown away in the second set but that was more because her level completely disappeared in that set while Brady maintained hers.
In the third she showed fighting spirit but she no longer was controlling play like in the first set. She was mostly struggling to hold serve and could only dictate on occasion, as she became more passive, playing too safe at times and too aggressive at other times. Honestly she did well to keep it that close because Brady was the better player in the third set.

I don’t think injuries played a role in that match. She is just struggling with confidence at the moment. She showed in the first set that she can still push around a player like Brady who is not exactly weak herself. But with Maria she will only get the confidence with continuous play and winning some of those matches. So to me the key for her is to stay healthy. She cannot afford another layoff. She needs to play and play and play...
This pretty much is a summary of that match.

Brady was serving very well the entire match even she lost set 1.

Give Maria more time, she just needs to be in the atmosphere of a tournament rather than a practice court in a little town in Italy. This will generate more influence in her competitiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52,967 Posts
I think the shoulder and arm injury has reduced some of the power in her game but also the lack of match play. She still plays with decent power tho IMO.
Yeah, could be.
Her damaged shoulder :(

The problem is that there are MANY power players these days.
In the past Maria had more power than now, hit harder and was one of only few power players.
Look at the Top 100. So many hard-hitters who can give a lot of trouble.

Mentally she has become quite weak now.
(I guess because she is rusty and because of lack of wins/success.)

Her serve sadly is not the weapon it used to be.
And Maria makes too many DFs (at stupid times too).

Also too many UEs:
Maria
31 Winners, 39 UEs :help:
Brady
27 Winners, (only) 15 UEs

·
Registered
52,967 Posts
The best points from Maria ♥

·
Registered
52,967 Posts
Brady also upset Top seed and world #1 Barty in the next round, with 6-4 7-6!

So Maria performed better against Brady (who is on fire) than Barty and at least won a set.

This pretty much is a summary of that match.

Brady was serving very well the entire match even she lost set 1.

Give Maria more time, she just needs to be in the atmosphere of a tournament rather than a practice court in a little town in Italy. This will generate more influence in her competitiveness.
Yes, it does not help Maria that her opponents often play/serve their best tennis.

The typical “nothing to lose” and peak from nobodies with no pressure against the stars ...

·
Registered
13,243 Posts
Honestly she played quite well in the beginning, but she couldn't maintain it. She didn't look injured to me unlike what some are inferring, but she did look a bit sick.

61 - 80 of 91 Posts