Tennis Forum banner

41 - 60 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,533 Posts
Come on, Maria! Bum shoulder, blowing her nose, drenched in sweat....

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
all that effort for an hour just to play this atrocious tie break. Anyway I completely give up. If this is her level even after a training block my goodness. If I think how many player like Brady are on tour :censored:

·
Registered
43 Posts
I watched the match on live stream. She actually started well, and forehand was pretty good, but as it went on it’s obvious that the physical problems that have plagued her are still an issue.

Shoulder and the DFs were maybe to be expected, and she at least has some good slice aces. But her backhand really worries me. Her left forearm/wrist seems to still bother her, in the last few games she could barely hit a backhand and Brady seemed to catch on to this. Maria was moving halfway across the service box to avoid having to return on her BH.

Ive said this before, at this point I don’t think these issues are ever going to go away :( it’s tough to watch these days because you can see it’s her health that’s stopping her. I still believe if her body allowed she could get back up there.

·
Registered
12,444 Posts
I think it's more mental than physical. She needs to play smaller tournaments. Most of her losses are from winning positions. The game is there but the confidence and consistency is not. I don't believe that suddenly each match where she's up a set or a set and a break and then like a light switch the injuries start bothering her.

And also concerned about the BH. I don't know how what was once one of the great shots in tennis has been reduced to that. Even if she still hit big but gave herself bigger margins. The serve and FH when working were great but the BH needs to be better.

If she's not physically able to hit through her BH, or go out and play a good standard for a couple of hours IRDK. I know match tension is different but I mean surely she hits for a few hours a day in practice?

She also seemed to be rubbing her forearm under towel towards the end so if that is the reason for her losses the only last thing she can try is playing where she'll win in straights.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Such a roller coaster sitting behind her team during the match. Whatever pointer Alex was giving her during 5-4 was obviously not working.

Clearly her serve is still the issue, and hitting 2 DF in a row to give Brady MP is just too generous.

I feel that her game is still there but a little lack of matches hurts.

Brady’s serve was really consistent though and didn’t really give Maria much chances. And she played 3 matches already before so she is quite used to the court.

Sadly Maria cannot be one of the 3-setter winner today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
I think it's more mental than physical. She needs to play smaller tournaments. Most of her losses are from winning positions. The game is there but the confidence and consistency is not. I don't believe that suddenly each match where she's up a set or a set and a break and then like a light switch the injuries start bothering her.

And also concerned about the BH. I don't know how what was once one of the great shots in tennis has been reduced to that. Even if she still hit big but gave herself bigger margins. The serve and FH when working were great but the BH needs to be better.

If she's not physically able to hit through her BH, or go out and play a good standard for a couple of hours IRDK. I know match tension is different but I mean surely she hits for a few hours a day in practice?

She also seemed to be rubbing her forearm under towel towards the end so if that is the reason for her losses the only last thing she can try is playing where she'll win in straights.
I didn’t pick up the forearm issue from watching live but if that’s the case that’s really concerning given how many months she has been off and maybe no issue with that but once she plays a match her left forearm is having issues all over again.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
where exactly is her game? for what I saw match was completely on Brady's racket since the second set, don't act like she wasted chances or whatever.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
where exactly is her game? for what I saw match was completely on Brady's racket since the second set, don't act like she wasted chances or whatever.
She needs to work on her Return Game today was a classic example that she dumped so many BH returns to net. She had chances, she was leading 5-4 and 6-5 in the third set. And at 6-5 she was actually two points away at 15-30 on Brady serve but she hit a FH UE to the net. From that moment on, the window was closed.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
She needs to work on her Return Game today was a classic example that she dumped so many BH returns to net. She had chances, she was leading 5-4 and 6-5 in the third set. And at 6-5 she was actually two points away at 15-30 on Brady serve but she hit a FH UE to the net. From that moment on, the window was closed.

that game on 6-5 was the only service game where Brady had some trouble in 2 sets, Maria on the other hand was nearly to lose serve multiple times and she saved herself with some vintage clutch shots, if there is just one "positive" thing today is that she should have lost this match way before the tie break.

41 - 60 of 92 Posts